H1-B or EAD

deepakanu

Registered Users (C)
H1-B: When to file for extension
My H1-b is getting expired in August 2004. I already have an EAD and AP and I’m hoping to get an I-140 approval before August. I wanted to wait for my I-140 approval till July and if I won’t get my I-140 approval before July than I would file my H1-B extension. My questions to you guys is do I need an approval notice before my current H1b expired or just a receipt notice would be enough me to continue to work legally or should I work on EAD?

Originally posted by deepakanu
H1-B: When to file for extension
My H1-b is getting expired in August 2004. I already have an EAD and AP and I’m hoping to get an I-140 approval before August. I wanted to wait for my I-140 approval till July and if I won’t get my I-140 approval before July than I would file my H1-B extension. My questions to you guys is do I need an approval notice before my current H1b expired or just a receipt notice would be enough me to continue to work legally or should I work on EAD?

imo, u should file h1b extension asap(if comp is paying for it). No point in waiting for 140 etc.

There is no connection between 140 and H1B. Why were u planning on waiting for 140 approval anyways?

I’m completing five years and three months on H1b in August 2004. So I don’t want to file for an H1b extension as I’m soon getting the I-140 approval. After I-140 approval, I can start working on EAD. My questions to you, is my H1b status legal if I my current H1b is expired but have a receipt notice for an H1-b extension.

Yes, just a receipt notice from USCIS that you have applied for H1B extension is enough to keep you in legal status and on the job.

EB12 - OR - VSC
ND: 04-02-2003

Originally posted by Gegemon
Yes, just a receipt notice from USCIS that you have applied for H1B extension is enough to keep you in legal status and on the job.

EB12 - OR - VSC
ND: 04-02-2003

... for 240 days.