H1-B Extension After Six Years

Jim,

Till what date President has time to sign this bill into law? I was told that he has ten days to sign or veto it (excluding SUNDAYS). If he neither signs it in 10 days nor veto's it then it will automatically become a law since 107th congress is still in session. Is that true?

Thanks,

mhsoor

On a different thread mhsoor (who obviously seems quite resourceful in locating inforamtion) has mentioned:

Originally posted by mhsoor
The U.S. Constitution Article 1, Section 7 provides in part that "If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law."
Now, the Congress is currently adjourned; so does that mean that the bill doesn't become a law if Prez doesn't sign it? What happens to it in that case?

Of course, I am hoping the bill will be signed this week; that is what I read everywhere.

As far as I know, congress has just taken a recess for the elections scheduled for 11/05/2002. The session has not adjourned and they will continue the session from 12th of Novenmber. So if the president doesn't sign it and doesn't veto it then according to law, the bill passed by senate and house automatically becomes a law.

I really hope that the bill gets signed by president in this week itself.

mhsoor

counting 6 years

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the 6 years duration.
Is it counted from the date of stamping (or)
Is it counted from the date of landing in U.S.?

Its beacuse I had my stamping on Nov21st, 1997, but arrived in U.S. on Jan 12th, 1998. I appreciate if anyone can clear my doubt so that I can apply for my greencard based on these dates so it'll be 365 days before my 6yrs expire.

Thankyou.

On 11/02/2002, the President signed the bill (HR 2215) permitting the extension of H-1 status beyond six years for people with pending labor certifications. This bill will permit those who have labor certifications pending for 365 days or more to extend their H-1 stay beyond the six year limit in increments of one year. The H-1B status will end if the application for labor certification, I-140 or I-485 is denied. The bill also seems to apply to those people who have left USA or have adjusted to another status within USA

The H-1B status will end if the application for labor certification, I-140 or I-485 is denied.

When will it end ? Can we go through till the end of the 1 year extension or is it immediate.

Thanks

"The H-1B status will end if the application for labor certification, I-140 or I-485 is denied". This was told to me by my attorney.

Even Rajiv Khanna has said this. (Read the section on the very top of this site www.immigration.com)

I will let you know of the link if and when I get one.

Be positive. You will get your GC.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: