H1 B delayed background check and end of OPT

Almas

Registered Users (C)
Receipt notice for H1B May 19th, 2006. Case has been delayed due to background check (country of origin part of the 26 scrutiny countries , although left when I was one year old). OPT ends January. Contacted senators, officer in charge at sub-office, but in vain. Any suggestions? Can I work for my employer once my OPT ends? How long can I stay in the U.S? Until i get approval or denial on H1? Is there any way to expedite it due to the extenuating circumstances. Waiting too long to get a reply for the background check may result im my employer terminating my position. Please advise!

As of February 1st updates: Received letter from USCIS on january 11th stating that they recognize that there should be special handling of my case. January 22nd, USCIS mailed RFE, not received it. Is it a bad sign? Does that mean that the background check is over? Can I stay in the US past the 60 days grace period of my OPT until a decision is adjudicated on my petition?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. You cannot legally work for your employor after your OPT ends.
2. I think there has 60 days grace period for you. You can stay in U.S, and wait for the H1B.

Good luck,
Subs

Hello Almas,

did u get H1 approved or still waiting for it.

Actually i am facing the similar problem. So my company filed mandamus against USCIS this week. So What actions did u take for u'r application. Please reply me.

I received an RFE on Feb. 1 and mailed the response on 21st. I hope everything will be fine. when did u file your H1 and do you know why it took so long? why do u think they had to do that background check? It may be related to your country of birth. keep me posted on your case. Thanx and good luck

still no reply from ins

did any body hear any news from ins regarding u'r case

i didn't hear any thing from them

so waiting to get approval soon

Hello friend

did u get reply for the mandamus.

did they replied in 63 days or took longer.

thanks
fnblnb

I am waiting for the I129, PETITION FOR A NONIMMIGRANT WORKER. My lawyer filled my petition on April 13th and it reached Vermont Service Center on April 16th. I payed the Premium processing fee of 1000$ and so far nothing, not even my application receipt number...Anyone in the same situation?
I just don't see the point of paying that fee anymore. My approval should have been ready in 15 days, but it's been already 6 weeks and nothing.