H1 and H4 visa stamp in pakistan

usmanroshan

Registered Users (C)
I am in H1 status in the US and my wife is in H4. We don't have the H visa stamps since we got converted from F1 and F2 status while in the US. We're now both planning to visit Pakistan this summer and will be applying for the H1 and H4 visa over there. I have a few questions:

1. How long is it taking to issue an H1 and H4 visa in Pakistan these days? Are they refusing visas as well or is it just a matter of time?

2. If I don't go but only my wife does, how long will it take for her?

Thanks very much :)

Usman

Usman,

I came here for my H1-B revalidation and had my interview on Dec 6, 2004. Been waiting since then. My wife applied separately and was refused with the reason that she cannot apply unless my visa is approved. So if you are planning to take this chance, it could take 6 months or more. Of course it can be less, but there's no way to find out. As for your wife, I would not recommend her doing this on her own. She can endup getting stuck here till you come back here and get yours done.

Ali

Dont go

If you are from Pakistan and if there is no emergency, i would not recommend going back for a visa. If you look through the reports on this boards you will see that almost everyone gets flagged. If possible, wait until you can get a green card before you venture out.

Hi,

Thanks to both replies. I may have to go because of my sister's wedding. Do you know of any others who are in the same position and how long has it taken them? My understanding (from other messages on this webiste) is that it was taking about 10 weeks on the average but 6months is a lot! Is there any particular reason why it's taking longer for some cases, like Ali's (the first reply)?

My wife and US born daughter are planning to go. Do you know if it's legal for them to apply for H4 stamp without me being there?

Also, do you know if the processing time depends upon the person's profession? Most people work in industry but I'm associated with academics. Thanks again for your help.

Usman,

There is no sure way to tell, how long its gonna take. One of my friends got it within 6 weeks and I am still waiting for more than 7 months.

In my case I believe the delay is due to my name which is very common.

Ali

h4 for my wife

Thanks to the replies. One more thing: if I don't go but my wife does, can she apply for an H-4 visa even if I am not there? Thanks,

Usman

Usaman, read my reply above. Call up Islamanad embassy and check with them before your wife comes here.

Ali

Hi Ali, I called them up last night. They said my wife can apply without me as long as she has her approved I-797 (which she does). They couldn't say anything about how long it would take me and said it depends upon various things such as my name.

I had a violation last year when I visited Canada and did not register myself with INS before exiting the country. The computer picked me up when I re-enterd the US and I was told I had violated the law. They let me in anyway and I ended up getting H1 from F1 without any problems. I'm wondering if this may be a problem when/if I apply for an H1 visa from Pakistan. Any experiences/thoughts? Thanks very much,

Usman