H-4 To F-1

gok qwer

Hello,

I have both H4 and F1 visa stamps on my passport. My last entrance status is H4. (There is H4 stamp on my I-94). I want to change it to F1 since I want to get OPT after graduation. What is the easiest way to do this? It looks like it takes 1 year if I apply to INS. Is it possible to change it at the Mexico border or Canada border? For visits less than 30 days to Mexico or Canada, INS officers do not collect I-94\'s. Can I ask them to issue a new I-94 for me upon reentrance?

Thanks

H4 to F1

Hello,

I have both H4 and F1 visa stamps on my passport. My last entrance status is H4. (There is H4 stamp on my I-94). I want to change it to F1 since I want to get OPT after graduation. What is the easiest way to do this? It looks like it takes 1 year if I apply to INS. Is it possible to change it at the Mexico border or Canada border? For visits less than 30 days to Mexico or Canada, INS officers do not collect I-94\'s. Can I ask them to issue a new I-94 for me upon reentrance?

Thanks

Sathi Chowdhury

Hi,
  I am living in US on H4.I want to get F1.Whats the easiest way to do this ? As far as I know I have 2 options
1) I can fly down to India and apply for F1
2) I can apply for the change of status in US
My question is which is a better option for me and less time taking since by Nov. 2001 I have to join for the course?
Can I get my F1 done from any where like Vancouver?
Eventually I am travelling down to india this month end,so If I apply for F1 there and it gets rejected can I come back to US with my existing H4 visa status.
finally which is the easiest and fastest option in this case ( transfering H4 to F1)
please help me out.
thanks
Sathi Chowdhury

No Title

Both your options can let you attend the courses in Nov. 2001. option 1: re-enter in F-1 status, option 2: pending F-1 status without leaving US. You can try get F1 visa in India or Canada.

No Title

So you were an F-1 student, but then re-enter with H-4 visa while you also having F-1 visa? Why? It is more complicated than you may think. Talk to the international office staff in your university about the options, you may need a new I-20.

Sathi Chowdhury

Thanks for your response. If I try it from India and it gets rejected can I come US back with my existing H4 status.
after how many days I can retry to get F1 from Canada?

Converting H4 to F1

HI Folks,

My wife has started her school on H4 but wants that to be converted to F1. I have options of applying for a multiple entry
F1 Visa from Canada or apply for a single entry F1 Visa in US which I have heard takes a long time.

If somebody has undergone such process in the past please let me know how difficult it would be to get a F1 visa when you are already in US on a H4. ALso if you can outline the procedure and the anticipated questions that would be really useful.

Thanks
Faiyaz Chatiwala

No Title

You cannot get an F-1 visa in the US. Only work visas like H, L, P, O... can be revalidated inside the US. F is not one of them. So you were actually talking about I-539 change to F-1 status (not a visa) which does take a longer time but you don\'t need to leave US during the whole process.

Pros and Cons of studying on H4 vs F1

My case is very similar to case 2 in this thread. I am currently studying on H4 visa at a State college. Because I am a resident of the state, the fees is almost one-third of the normal fees. But then I cannot do any job on campus (like Teaching Assisstant) nor can I go for internship. Are there more benefits of transferring to F1 for my study, or should I just continue on H4 ?
A more important question - what are the chances that if I apply for a F1 visa, it might get rejected. I am already on H4 visa in the US, so it might be difficult to convince that I only want to study in US, and that I will return back after my studies.
Moreover just in case my F1 gets rejected, can I still come back on H4 visa and continue my study ???

Some Advise

My wife recently converted from H4 to F1. She went to Ciuadad Juarez in Mexico. Please note that they are
very strict after recent events. It took her 18 hrs. So be prepared. I hear Canada is worse.

If you go the I-539 route applying in US , then the wait is long. Plus if you need multiple entry you need
to go to the border any how.

Good luck!

H4 to F1

Hai,
    Now i am in H4 visa in US.I got admission in one university .Now i am doing my MS and I have applied for F1 to INS.Now they are asking me to show the evidence of going back to native country after education.
    I am in confusion what documents i need to show.If anyone got experienced like this please let me know to nalluri_s@yahoo.com.
 Thanks,
 saritha.

No Title

Hi Song-Huang, you seem to have a good knowledge about F-1 visa.
Iam on H-1 right now and I will soon be getting a F-1. Can I stay here start my course and go out of the country for actual F-1 later ??? Thanks in advance...

H4 to F1

Hi Sathi,

I recently got my visa changed to F1 from H4. I went to India for the same. Canada I believe is bad and I didn\'t want to go to Mexico. I am in Delhi so I got it done from there. I had a TA offer so I took the offer letter with me along with other documents. The only thing they asked me why I want to convert for which I had valid reason and paper to show. So I had a plain sailing.

In case visa gets rejected u can come back on your H4.

You can apply here but it takes a long time for visa to come through.My case was different becasue I had assisantship offer which I wanted to avail but in your case if you don\'t have any such thing then maybe you can apply from here but it takes long.

But since you are travelling to India you can try over there but take all the required documents like I-20 etc.

If you have any more questions, let me know

AA

at5@njit.edu

No Title

If your visa gets rejected you can come back on your H4 visa. It\'s not a problem but I am not sure if there is any time gap required before you can apply again in Canada. Maybe check with a lawyer. As far as I know there is no such thing but for Canada you need an appointment. Their appointments are always heavily booked so anyway it will be a while.If you plan to go to canada check the nearest US embassy near you online and check the appointment status.

AA

I am on H4 visa, recently I enrolled at a university as regular student and applied for F1 i.e. change of status(I539) from H4 to F1 and not at received my F1 till today. But due to bad economy we planned to discontinue graduation from next semester onwards, which is going to commence from Jan 10th. Could you please advise me on this situation whether I will be out of status if I discontinue my graduation or I can be in USA on H4 as dependent itself as my H4 and I-94 is valid till 2003.

Affidavit of Support??

1. What kind of letter do I need to submit ?
2. Is there an official form?
3. My wife has 2/3rd of her expenses covered with an assistantship/tuition waiver.
Do I need to show support for the balance or the whole amount of her two year degree?

thanks for your help!

F1 to H !!??!!

Hi! I have a question. I came to the US on a F1 visa. It was issued for 1 year. However, the duration of my studies was 3 months and the organisation sponsoring my visa knew this, but still gave me a 1 year visa. I have currently completed my studies, but would like to remain in the US to attend interviews over the next few months. I have a valid visitors visa (5 years, multiple entry). Can stay on in the US under F1 status even though i\'m not studying? Should I change to H? (if so how?) Do i have to leave and come back? i would really appreciate feedback on this
thank you

No Title

The visa you were granted, if provided for multiple entries
only allows you to enter the country during the period.

You need to be in valid status to continue staying here.

H4 to F1 visa help needed

Hi All immigration gurus!!

Please provide me following info !!

1) How to convert h4 to F1 status and what are the benefits in getting F1 stamped than change of status( form - 539) .

2) Since My labor certification is in process , If I change my wife\'s status (h4 to f1 ) what are the impacts on GC process.

3) Please forward me the links of docs needed for H4 to F1 ( both ways Form - 539 or F1 stamping outside country) .

Thanx

H4 to F1 (effect on GC)

Hi All,

I am bit confused on this issue. Please guide me as to what are the options available.
I am about to start my Labor Certification process for GC and my wife wishes to study and get F1.
How is this going to affect my GC application. Is it that my wife will not get an automatic GC with me?

Please advice.

Thanks