H-4 process

rahul76b

Registered Users (C)
I was wondering if there are any threads that provide complete details of a H-4 application process?

The information I am looking for is:

a) Which consulate to apply in (spouse is from delhi but the marriage certificate would be from Calcutta).

b) Will we need to apply for the H-4 visa in person or can use the drop-box service?

c) How long does it take to get an appointment and how long would it take for them to mail our documents back?

d) What documents are required besides the following:

1) Completed Visa application form + fees
2) Valid Passport of the applicant
3) I-797 approval notice of spouse
4) Employment verification letter of spouse alongwith W-2s & Paystubs
5) Passport size photographs of the applicant
6) Marriage certificate + photographs of ceremony + copy of invitation card
7) Visa issuance fee

Are there any other documents that are required?

Is it mandatory for the spouse to submit their passport also? I have H-1 approval notice but don't have a valid stamp and will be reentering on Advanced Parole?

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by rahul76b
I was wondering if there are any threads that provide complete details of a H-4 application process?

The information I am looking for is:

a) Which consulate to apply in (spouse is from delhi but the marriage certificate would be from Calcutta).

****You can email them at ndcentral@state.gov for Delhi and pacal@state.gov for Calcutta. You will get a reply in 24 hours.***

b) Will we need to apply for the H-4 visa in person or can use the drop-box service?

****First time visa applicants should apply in person. You can check in the following link to get more information.
http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/wwwhnivdrop.html *****

c) How long does it take to get an appointment and how long would it take for them to mail our documents back?

***** They say it is few days (less than 2 weeks) to get an appointment at Delhi and Calcutta. Currently it is 6-8 working days from the time you are interviewed or you submit your drop application*******

d) What documents are required besides the following:

1) Completed Visa application form + fees
2) Valid Passport of the applicant
3) I-797 approval notice of spouse
4) Employment verification letter of spouse alongwith W-2s & Paystubs
5) Passport size photographs of the applicant
6) Marriage certificate + photographs of ceremony + copy of invitation card
7) Visa issuance fee

****** There are lot more docs to be produced.
http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/wwwhnivdep.html ******

Are there any other documents that are required?

Is it mandatory for the spouse to submit their passport also? I have H-1 approval notice but don't have a valid stamp and will be reentering on Advanced Parole?

****You dont have to submit your passport. But a good copy of all 36 pages are to be submitted.*****

Thanks for your help.

rahul,to answer your first question,it depends on which consulate you got your H1 visa issued,and not based on birthplace or marriage certificate..did you get your answers from the delhi/calculatta consulate?