H-1B Visa stamped Successfully @ Ottawa, CANADA

it_pro77

Registered Users (C)
FOLKS!
Thanks for the help. This site is really helpful. My case was simple
F-1 -> OPT -> H-1B, got it stamped on 04/26/2004 at Ottowa , CANADA.
If any body has any question that you can't find on this site wrt to H-1B Visa
stamping in CANADA, I be more than happy to share my expereince!

Hi,

what documents did they ask you.I had my 1st H1B stamped stamped from vancouver.2 yrs back my passport was stolen and I have to get my H1b stamped.Currently my passport is blank.

Thanks

· One DS-156 application form per applicant (Citizens of Cuba, North Korea, the Peoples Republic of China, Russia, and Vietnam,
over the age of 16, must provide two application forms).
· One DS-157 application form per male applicant. This is a mandatory form for all male applicants
between the ages of 16 and 45, regardless of nationality and regardless of where they apply. Females from Iran, Iraq, Cuba, Sudan, Syria, Libya and North Korea, ages 16 or older, must also complete this application form.
· Valid Passport (valid for at least 6 months past the intended stay in the U.S.)
· Proof of legal status in Canada/Mexico: original or certified copy
· 1 Passport-size photo taken within last 6 months, 2 x 2 inches, color on white/light background, showing full face, no head cover.
(Citizens of Cuba, North Korea, the Peoples Republic of China, Russia, and Vietnam over the age of 16 must provide two photos for each applicant).
· Older passports containing previous visas
· Documents substantiating previous legal status in the U.S.
· $100 U.S. non-refundable application fee
· Reciprocity fee (if applicable)
· I-797(either I-797Aor I-797B) ( I-797C is not acceptable) Must be original and full page . Appointment should be made ten days
prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed.
· Current employment letter indicating the nature of work , duration and salary
· Recent paystubs/payslips
· Copy of I-129B, petition completed by employer and filed with I.N.S.
· Copy of approved LCA, if applicable
· If previously under J-1 in U.S. applicant needs waiver of 2 year foreign residence rule
· Evidence of qualifications must original or certified copy. Consular officers (in Canada) may refuse to issue a visa to
H-1B applicants if their education and /or work experience is solely or predominantly from a country other than the U.S. or Canada.

Hello It_pro77,

I am going for F1-H1 stamping next week, my employer is in NJ, so the LCA is for NJ currently I am working in California but the taxes are still paid for NJ. with this situation would the consulate ask for reasoning? if so what should I say? also on DS156 I mentioned that I would be staying in California. being a consultant I will be traveling a lot in different sates so how can I justify at the consulate in this situation.

please help.
Can you post your experience too

Background: Came to US in 1997, graduated from school in 1998 and applied for PT
for a year (valid till Dec 1999). Work for 4 different companies on H-1B, with no good W-2s
lately due to long gaps between projects because of the bad economy. I was a little tensed
about it. So far did n’t apply for I-140/485. Scheduled an interview with US Embassy in
Ottowa for 04/26/2004 for first time US H1-B visa. Drove from Albany, NY to Ottowa on 04/25,
no problem at border while crossing. No one even bothered to check anything at US side
and interview was trivial at Canadian side. They just check to see u have at least a visitor visa.
After drove to Ottowa then stayed in a hotel about 7 miles from U.S Embassy in downtown.

I had appointment @10.00 AM with US Embassy. I was there on time, tho planned
to go earlier, but forgot to take Canadian cash, that took some time and had difficulty parking,
so had to street park using U.S quarters( street parking is for
2 hrs only) as all the public parking charges are in Canadian cash, its good Idea to carry
atleast US $25 worth of Canadian cash. I did see money exchange counters just before entering
Canada while I was returning, I guess it was closed on Sunday, or it was too dark/rainy
that I couldn’t see it when I entered the Canadian border. Any way, Security outside the U.S. Embassy
only wanted to verify the date on appointment letter. They let me in after security check, the
next guy before I entered asked me whether I have appointment letter, passport, photo, fee, etc
then he let me in and asked me to go to counter 7 to pay $100 application fee. At counter 7,
I gave all the docs but the guy took only DS156/157, passports and I-797’s and asked me to wait
in the hall next to counter.

The consular officer at counter # 2 called me , he was about to ask questions, before that I gave him
all the docs needed. So he first checked all the docs and was busy looking at docs especially I-797,
employment letter, Paystubs instead of asking me too many questions.

Here is the following conversation we had.
Officer: When did you graduated?
My Response: December 1998.
Officer: What have you been doing since then?
My Response: Converted my status to OPT then to H-1B thru with different companies.
Officer: Since when are you in H-1B?
My Response: January 2000
Officer: place ur right index finger, on a piece of glass ( for fingure printing)
My Response: I did, then I did the same for left hand index finger as well.
Officer: Is ur status in Canada, a Visitor?
My Response: Yes, Visitor.

He started writing something on the application and told me to go to the counter 7
to pay reciprocity fee and ask me to come back with the receipt, So I did pay $50,
went back to counter 2 to the officer and gave him the receipts. Then he ask me to
come back @ 3 pm to collect the passport.

Got my Passport back at 3:00 PM with multiple entry H1-B visa, and started driving
back to Albany, NY. The following is the conversation with the officer at the port of entry to the U.S:

Officer: where is the ID?
My response: I gave him the passport and I-797.
Officer: Where are you coming from today?
My response: Ottowa, went for H-1B Visa stamping.
Officer: How long you been in Ottowa?
My response: Just today.
Officer: If its for today, why are you carrying a suitcase in the car?
My response: I was told, it takes upto 3 to 60 days for Visa stamping by the Consulate.
Officer: Have a Nice day!

So I drove back to Albany, NY.

FYI : The time spent between out of the Embassy and the collection of passport:

Since I didn’t have Canadian cash with me, I ask the security guard outside the Embassy,
where I can find money exchange counters, he did tell me the directions.
I started driving at the directions, found one, got the Canadian cash, then I was
just walking around the place saw an Indian restaurant close to the money
exchange counter. Had a good buffet meal at the Indian Restaurant. After that
drove back close to the US Embassy, parked my car at one of those public
parking lots. Spent my time at a good book store couple of blocks to the right of the U.S. Embassy.

Last edited by a moderator:
pat77,
Mention ur address of CA in DS-156 where u need to, they wont ask many questions on that.
If they do, tell them that you are working at a client site in CA , though you work for company based in NJ.

Please help

Did u come across any person who had gone as a first time PR and went to the consulate for getting the H-1 B stamped.

My case is that I was on F-1b recently converted to H-1 B in US and also got a PR for Canada. I have got the Canada PR visa stamped on the Passport. Does it have anybearing on the H-1B from Ottawa

questions on your experience

hello it_pro77,

I would appreciate greatly if you would answer the following questions.

The appointment letter that I received from the Ottawa consulate is making a great deal out of proving ties to home country and return at the end of expiration of period allowed on the approval notive.

I am on the same boat as you are. I came to the US for my masters in 1999 and graduated in 2001. Worked on OPT and H-1B for 1 and half years before getting laid off with one hour notice(total shock). After some struggle I got an employer to sponser me for H1B again and started working within a short period. I have never worked in India.

I have no clue about what would be a good document to substantiate my ties to India. I have never visited India after coming to US. I am a little worried that would be a huge minus for me as far as this issue is concerned.

What documents have you taken along to the consulate for this issue?
Have they asked you any questions pertaining to this issue?
Can one pay the application and reciprocity fees in US Cash?
Have you come across anybody, who was asked to produce w-2 forms for all employees including the current one?

regards,
rdh

hey rd

H1 is a dual-intent visa. So u dont have to prove ties to your home country. That message is for people applying for other than H1 visa(e.g. F1) . so dont worry abt that issue.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have one more question though.

I seemed to have misplaced my EAD card for the OPT period of the F-1 visa somewhere.
MUST we show the EAD of the OPT period also along with all the other documents?

Any response is greatly appreciated.

rdh

rdh,
I have the similar case as urs in case of not having EAD Card for OPT.
Consulate did not ask me the card. The back of your I-20 must have the info
for OPT,

it_pro77

Hi it_pro77,

You said you didnt have good W2's since you had gaps in your projects.
I also have a similar kind of situation.Came in US on F1 in 1997 and got 1st H1 in 2001 .In 2002 I hardly worked and in 2003 I have 2 W2's since I worked for 2 different companies as I had applied for H1 transfer.But the H1 transfer had some problems and I went back to the old employer and currently I'm working with old employer.Im planning to go Ottawa next yr January 2005 for H1B stamping and by that time I'll have good W2 for 2004 and 2003.Also i had a H1b stamp earlier but my passport was stolen and so I have to go to US consulate abroad for H1Bstamping(cant revalidate here in US). Do you think they ask for all the previous W2's.
I greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Hpuser,
In Ottowa, they are not looking for w-2s for H-1B stamping, just recent
pay stubs. Things may change with time... If I were you, I wouldn't wait till
next year!
-It_pro77