H-1B Visa Stamp in ottowa, CANADA--Pl help

it_pro77

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Does the US consulate need to see W-2's or Tax Returns or Original educational
transcripts / Evaluation certificate for B.E degree apart
from ORIGINAL INS documents,I-20's, degrees, mark sheets, recent paystubs etc?
How many days are they taking 1 or 3 days to process normal cases
at OTTAWA, canada, since the finger printing began???

FYI, I have been in USA for the last 6+ yrs, Initially I came to USA on
Student Visa (F-1) for M. S. Computer Science. After Graduation and Optional
practical training have changed my status to H-1B. I am on H-1B Status for
the last 3+ years and have not gone Out of USA for a Visa Stamp. I plan
to travel in the near future and hence would like to get the H-1B Visa
stamped on my passport.
I have taken an appointment with US Consulate at Ottowa, Canada, on
03/29/2004. I Was wondering if any body recently(< 1 year) got H-1B visa
stamped in canada.If yes, whats the new procedure or docs to carry apart
from the regular documents they need to verify to give the visa.
I have renewed my passport recently a month back, now have new passport #.
Please help and reply at the earliest if you have been
to canada to get H-1B visa stamp with respect to above questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally couple of day after you have made your appointment you get a call from US emabassy to ask you if you have canadian residence. I am not sure if they will allow non candian residents to appear for an interview. (you might be the lucky one)

I had an interview in ottawa in september last year. They did not ask for any degrees. The only document embassy asked for beside the applications and pics, was the job letter from my company. I had my paystubs with me but no one asked for them.
btw I had only 5 months left on my visa when I applied for the stamping
Hope this helps!

dreamer_ny,
thank you very much for the response.
Does the US Consulate check Employment Authorization document (EAD)
also called as optional practical training for former students (F-1)
as i have only xerox copy of EAD with me?

I had EAD cards with me when I went to the consulate but no one asked for them.

I didnt find any requirement info about EAD cards on my research before going to Ottawa.

dreamer_ny,

When did you go to Ottawa? How long they take to stamping? Did they ask anything about education evaluation etc.

Thanks

I applied for VISA on august 14 2003. I am from SR sountry so I had to go through security clarence. I got my VISA stamped on September 8 th.

It was my first H1-B stamp and I was changing form F1. I graduated from US so they didnt ask for any evaluation. Most of the questions were either Job related or employer company related.

dreamer_ny,

Thanks for your reply. What is SR? and also is India comes under this category? mine would be h1b extension stamp. Do you think they will ask for education evaluation

SR=Special Regitration countries.

No India does not come under this category.

They might ask you for your education, I guess it depends on the person who is taking the interview.

Hi dreamer_ny,

I'm in a similar situation as yours. I'm an SR citizen and I'm thinking about renewing my H1B in canada (toronto most likely) since I just got my canadian PR.

Quick question for you.. do you know why they had to do a security clearance for you? Is your job listed under their "watch list" (I forgot the formal term)? I'm just concerned since I don't think I can afford being away from my job that long.
And while they're doing the security clearance, did they keep your passport? Did you have to stay in Canada?

Thx,
Ferdie.

it_pro77,

I think your case is pretty straight forward. I got my H1 stamped in Ottawa on 1/5/04. Same F1 to H1. Interview was less than 2 min. Got the PP on the same after noon. The documents she asked was letter from employer and original H1 approval petition.
If you have a US degree it should be easy to get stamped in Ottawa unless something comes up against your name when they do the background check. Its a good idea to fill DS-156 online atleast 2 weeks in advance and all that they have to do is scan the bar code and retreive the data when you go there.

Dont worry too much abt this. Good luck

SDRBLR,
Thank you very much for the response.
1. Do they need to see original optional practical Training card as
i have only a copy of it and I-20's mentions my OPT status?
2. Is there anyway we could find out if there would be delay for
certain names for H-1B Visa Stamping?
3. Can you please send your full name to my e-mail it_pro77@yahoo.com
It will help me to decide to go or not for
H-1B visa stamping, if there is a delay, it may get me into
trouble if iam not back to the project on time from the VISA stamping.
FYI,
I am Indian, and my name is SAFIULLA SIDDIQUI MOHAMMED

Ferdie H.
every male between 16-45 years of age has to go through security clarence if u r a citizen of SR country. When I was in ottawa last year it took US consulate just over 3 weeks to get the security clarence and issue visa.

You do get the passport back but you can not come back to US as US consulate stamps the passport with "in process"

Folks,

Amidst the docs required for H1B Stamping ( www.amcits.com), i t states

" Appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed. "

What does this translate to. ??

I have an appointment at Ottawa consulate for H1B revalidation ( 7th year extension). Have my two previous stamps from home country , but do not have US education. Validity date of my renewal I-797 is from 04/17/2004 to 04/17/2005.

Does this mean I can take appointments only after 04/07/2004.?? I was looking forward to getting my visa stamp ASAP before the expiry of my current visa stamp in mid April.

It's hard to believe, but do they mean that appointment can be made only in a specific time window ( 10 days ) before the validity date on I-797??

Have any of U gone thru this.. Please shed some light on this..

Thanks,
-solicit

Folks,

Amidst the docs required for H1B Stamping ( www.amcits.com), i t states

" Appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed. "

What does this translate to. ??

I have an appointment at Ottawa consulate for H1B revalidation ( 7th year extension). Have my two previous stamps from home country , but do not have US education. Validity date of my renewal I-797 is from 04/17/2004 to 04/17/2005.

Does this mean I can take appointments only after 04/07/2004.?? I was looking forward to getting my visa stamp ASAP before the expiry of my current visa stamp in mid April.

It's hard to believe, but do they mean that appointment can be made only in a specific time window ( 10 days ) before the validity date on I-797??

Have any of U gone thru this.. Please shed some light on this..

Thanks,
-solicit

solicit,
See below your questions and responses.
Does this mean I can take appointments only after 04/07/2004.??
I was looking forward to getting my visa stamp ASAP before the
expiry of my current visa stamp in mid April.

Answer : Yes, only after 04/07/2004.

It's hard to believe, but do they mean that appointment
can be made only in a specific time window ( 10 days )
before the validity date on I-797??

Answer : Yes, only 10 days earlier than validity start date. or
between the validity dates ( start and end).

Hi All,
I just got my H1 stamped in Mexico.I came on B2 and my case was pending for 1 year finally got approved and got H1 stamped.

Hi Nitu,

Can you please tell more details, i want to go there ASAP.Which consulate did you go?
What was your previous status.
do you have any us degrees.

Thanks in advance

Hi Safi :
I am in a similar situation as yours and planning to go for the Visa Stamping in early may this year. I think we could exchange pretty useful information for our purpose.
Kindly email me at me at agrawal_deepak@hotmail.com , when you get a chance
Thanx
Deepak