H-1 to Green card

rajaijah

Registered Users (C)
hi all

I am from India and have an employment offer for teaching in a community college with H1B which would start from August (non-profit category)

I have a Masters from India and PhD from a US university. If my employer plans to process PR what category I come in...EB2 or EB3? I see some many people in this forum applied via EB3 and waiting for a has very long time. Do I qualify for EB2 and if so what is a typical processing time. I see from the wikipedia article that EB2 is available and EB3 has 5 year processing time. Does it mean EB2 is processed pretty fast for everyone or since I am from india still its going to take a long time to get.

Also, my fiance (will be getting married in few months) is a russian citizen and she has an offer with J1. her country is not on the skill list and we figure she can transfer to H1 easily (comparatively).

If she gets PR first is it faster to apply as a spouse or through my employer?

If her employer is applying for PR for her can I apply as a spouse along with her at the same time and get PR with her or I should wait until she gets it and then only can apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
The job requirement in your employer's labor certification petition is the basis for qualification for the EB category. Moreover, you have to look at the DHS visa bulletin for the priority dates. If your would be wife is from a different country then yes you will be benefited from the cross changeability criteria.

Also if your fiance is a russian citizen was she born in Russia? Country of charge is not your citizenship but where you are born. Also with a PHd you could in theory apply EB1 and self petition if you have the relevant credentials.

If not and your fiance becomes your wife and she is charged to Russia then you should go EB2 since you will be current immediately, and you can do this off your application and use your wife's charge for you and her

Also if your fiance is a russian citizen was she born in Russia? Country of charge is not your citizenship but where you are born. Also with a PHd you could in theory apply EB1 and self petition if you have the relevant credentials.

If not and your fiance becomes your wife and she is charged to Russia then you should go EB2 since you will be current immediately, and you can do this off your application and use your wife's charge for you and her

she is russian citizen by birth.

When you say go with her petition does it mean I can apply together with her or she will get faster and then i will apply as spouse after she gets.

Also, since my job is going to be teaching i will come under "SPECIAL HANDLING" does that mean i will get faster or still will be struck with backlog since I am from India. I have started a new topic for this since it is deviates from what this topic is.

THANKS A LOT GUYS FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP. CAN'T APPRECIATE ENOUGH.

You can apply and she can be the dependant, once your I-140 is done and you can file the I-485 make sure you file using russia as the charge country, you will then be in the ROW line and not India line.