Guys- Please help - AP re entry question

ks140

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I need your help - I have the A/P Travel visa valid. Besides this what else I need to carry while entring US?. I have photo copy of I 485 Receipt dated 10/15/2002, Photo copy on my current EAD card. Asking this question little late because while travelling in India, lost my vallet containing USA Driver license / EAD card etc..
Please post your opinion and Thanks a lot !!!!!

KS

When I came back (thru JFK) from a 2 week vacation using AP I had to go to a second inspection. Took only 2 mins and I was all set. They didn't ask anything, however I had my employment letter, I-485 (pending), I-140 (approved) and EAD handy just in case. The only hassle I had was the airline, they didn't know what AP was so I had to explain.
You should be fine.

rob8

I-485
ND - 11/29/2002
RD - 12/30/2002
AD - 9/3/2004
notice recv'd - 9/10/2004
PS - 9/15/2004
CO ?
CM ?
CR ?

rob8 said:
When I came back (thru JFK) from a 2 week vacation using AP I had to go to a second inspection. Took only 2 mins and I was all set. They didn't ask anything, however I had my employment letter, I-485 (pending), I-140 (approved) and EAD handy just in case. The only hassle I had was the airline, they didn't know what AP was so I had to explain.
You should be fine.

rob8

I-485
ND - 11/29/2002
RD - 12/30/2002
AD - 9/3/2004
notice recv'd - 9/10/2004
PS - 9/15/2004
CO ?
CM ?
CR ?

Hi rob8,

Do we need to have originals of I-485 receipt and I-140 approval notices? Or photocopies are sufficient?

Passport and Original AP are absolutely required. Others are just for support documents in case if they ask.

I came thro' Newark on AP and didn't have any problem except that I need to wait for an hour or so. I had carried all the originals (485 Receipts, EAD, Employer Letter, Tax Papers etc.).

KS140 -> I think your are OK. Good Luck.
GoodLuck_140 -> Copies are sufficient but if you have the originals, it doesn't hurt to carry them as well.

Jay

Jay_T said:
Passport and Original AP are absolutely required. Others are just for support documents in case if they ask.

I came thro' Newark on AP and didn't have any problem except that I need to wait for an hour or so. I had carried all the originals (485 Receipts, EAD, Employer Letter, Tax Papers etc.).

KS140 -> I think your are OK. Good Luck.
GoodLuck_140 -> Copies are sufficient but if you have the originals, it doesn't hurt to carry them as well.

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for your reply.

My original copies are with my attorney.

Do you think they would give me the originals if I ask them?

goodluck_140 said:
Jay,

Thanks for your reply.

My original copies are with my attorney.

Do you think they would give me the originals if I ask them?

You don't need originals, just carry the photo copies.

KS140,

We came through JFK and using AP on 9/1/04. We never had any problem except for waiting in aline for 2 hrs. They just asked for AP.

You basically need AP original document and Passport.
On safe side better carry a copy of I-485, I-140 receipts / approved. You may keep a copy of EAD and Driver licence, just in case.

Your attorney definitely should give you the original receipt of I-485. It is your application ..!!

Godd luck..

they DID ask me for EAD at JFK

I was told by my attorney that all i needed was the passport and the original AP notices. However, i should also get a copy of my 140 and 485 and my EAD in case they ask.
So that's what i did in order to be covered. Got copies of 140, 485, the EAD itself as well as an employment verification letter from my company.

Both I and my spouse came through JFK at 9/13/04. We had to wait for 2.5 hours in the second room, basically because all cases before us were problematic.
It took them less than 5 min to check in the computer and stamp our I94.
They did however ask if we carried the EAD with us. We said "yes" and they said ok, so no need to show it to them.

If you are travelling via Mumabi, keep some Photocopies of Advance Parole. I was returning to Boston on Sep 9th and those Idiots at Mumbai took my original AP. They took them from lot of people.

I did not have photocopies of AP. So i had to handover one set of originals of my whole family.

Thanks a lot for the inputs. I feel relieved now ! Good luck to all of you.
Noticing to days case status it looks like they had issued an RFE for my I 485 - EAC03023xxxxx case filed on OCt 15 2002. Wondering what it could be hoping that it is simplae and answerable ???

Thanks to all of you once again.
KS

AP Stamping

Hi
I recently(9/13) entered using AP at Boston. In the AP document, they stamped "paroled Until: 9/14/05" When I asked the officer does it mean I can only stay until 9/14/05, he replied they can only give upto one year, but as I am an I-485 applicant I can stay until the application is adjudicated.

Does anyone entered with AP has similar stamping on the AP?

Thanks
Babu

Have some photocopies of your AP. Immigration in India will take one copy. They took one original from my wife two days back. Since Bombay airport does not have a photocopy machine, she was forced to give one original to them.

Thanks, I reached fine, No questions

Thanks all for responses. I came to SFO, the INS guy at the counter asked me to go to the secondary room. They had collected my PP and AP doc., waited for about 5 mins. Then one officer called my name and handed over the stamped I 94 (valid for 1 yaer from entry). I did staple my original A/P with Passport so that the guys in India do not steal the doc. for their records (though Stupid to do so); luckily no one pulled that for 'their records'.

Thanks, I got couple of RFE's for my 485, i am going to put it in anmother thread for attention.
Good luck to all my fellow buddies here !

travelling india w/AP

Last year Nov 2003 I came via mumbai airport, they looked at my original AP and then returned it back to me. Did not had any problem while re-entering in Houston. This time I will be comming back from calcutta, do any one had any experience on that airport? I will be flying to Bangkok, then from bangkok to taipei via hongkong and then from taipei to houston via seattle. My POE will be in Seattle. Any experience on seattle airport w/AP ??? I will be carrying AP documents and also make some additional copies. this is the first time i am going on this route, had no experience. Any information on this route specially w/AP documents will be very helpful to me.

Thanks

Did you guys had transit visa (to take connecting flight) to travel to India?
I heard from couple of people it is needed while travelling w/AP even though
you are still staying in the same flight. Is it true? Please share you experiences?

Thanks - dj

Hello gcInc,

I and my wife planning to fly to India this Dec via London. Both of our previous visas got expired early this year. All the travel agents we spoke with advised to get a "Direct AirSide Transit Visa" eventhough we are not going to go out of the Terminal (incidentally our stay in London is only 2hrs). We are sending our stuff to get the Transit Visas.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
speedy1027

EAD situation

Gurus,

Here is the deal. As I said in my previous post, both I and my wife plan to get the Transit Visas for travel. My wife has her EAD(1) along with AP(1) both of which are valid till Apr2005. However, I have only AP(1). I never received my EAD(1) from my Lawyer(never applied). He says I need not have EAD(1) to work in the US as my 2nd H-1 is still valid till 2006(though my 1st H-1 visa expired early this year).

Should I have my EAD(1) as well?

Is this necessary to travel?

Does not having this cause any issues while travelling?

I am confused. Please share your thoughts.

Cheers,
speedy1027
EB3,VSC, 140/EAD/AP/485 concurrent filing

RD 9/9/03
ND 9/11/03
AD 2/13/04

1stEAD(spouse only)
RD 12/08/03
ND 12/10/03
AD 4/20/04

1stAP (both)
RD 12/08/03