Gurus please help!

parth_01945

Registered Users (C)
I applied for education and they asked for Selective service. Than I found that you are supposed to register if you are a male age between 18-26. Well I got my gc approved 1 month before I turned 26 and I got my physical GC in mail on my birthday when I turned 26. Should I fill Status req. info. form? Will there be some problem??

Yes, you should do a status request with the Selective Service, because you were legally required to register.

parth_01945 said:
I applied for education and they asked for Selective service. Than I found that you are supposed to register if you are a male age between 18-26. Well I got my gc approved 1 month before I turned 26 and I got my physical GC in mail on my birthday when I turned 26. Should I fill Status req. info. form? Will there be some problem??

If I assume correctly, you got your greencard a month before you turned 26 but you lived in the US for a number of years before you turned 26. This can pose a serious problem for you because you were supposed to register.

You only recourse is to convince the immigration officer that the reason you di nt register was not as result of some willfull act.
You see the problem is you are assumed guilty unless you prove otherwise.

You should inquire about what happened to people in your position and what they have done. Otherwise, I suggest you consult a lawyer,.

Good luck,

Yalag

Call the SSS. I dont think it will matter much if you dont register as the gap between you turning 26 and GC was minimal.

Send a letter to SSS asking if you have to register and keep a copy for your records (along with a response from them)

Karlshammar said:
Yes, you can register for the SSS even if you're not required to. You can't do it online, but you can do it if you send in the form from the post office.
Karlshammar

This is interesting.

Go to the following link http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm It says that a male over 26 CAN NOT register.

Do you know, of first hand, of someone whom registered over that age?

Yalag

No, you're right. I was thinking of registering before 26 when you're not required to (non-immigrant). Sorry, I think my mind is a little foggy. :)

yalag said:
Karlshammar

This is interesting.

Go to the following link http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm It says that a male over 26 CAN NOT register.

Do you know, of first hand, of someone whom registered over that age?

Yalag

Thanks a lot folks,

The time between my approval notice and 26 is very small. Also my GC arrived on the same day i turned 26.

Were you in the US before getting your GC? For how long? What was your status at the time? This is very important information in determining how lenient they may be towards you.

Yalag

Hi,
I filled the Status Request Information Form from SS website. I explained them my situation. I got the reply today saying that I was required to register. SS didn't send me any notification. A non-registrant may not be denied any benefit if he can "show by a preponderance of evidence" that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible.
Well I guess I got to live with it.

I spoke to my lawyer he also said it is n ot a big deal. I shouldn't have any problem at the time of citizenship.

Also I read in this forum that people who apply for citizenship on above 32 years of age wouldn't have any problem since they proved a goodwill to this country..

Anybody has any idea...or had the same experience and got the citizenship????