Gurus please help: Married after filing I-485

EAin2005

Registered Users (C)
I have filed my I-485 which was retrogressed for now. I plan to get married with my gf soon who is a F-1 now. My question is: How do I add her name into my own I-485? I know I need to file a I-485 for her together with a marriage certificate, but do I need to do anything with my I-485 because I did not have her name in the original I-485 I filed to CIS? I heard that you need to send an updated I-485 form with her name on it to CIS, is it true? Please share you opinion and experience. A million thanks.

EA

I believe it is important get married before your I485 is approved....not sure about the process for filing her I485 after yours. You will need to sign an affadavit of support that is included in her application

good luck!

File I-485 for her onc you get married

What you need to do is just file an I-485 for her and attach copy of your I-140 approval notice. Follow the instructions carefully.

You should not have any problem as long as your I-485 did not get approved.

EAin2005 said:
I have filed my I-485 which was retrogressed for now. I plan to get married with my gf soon who is a F-1 now. My question is: How do I add her name into my own I-485? I know I need to file a I-485 for her together with a marriage certificate, but do I need to do anything with my I-485 because I did not have her name in the original I-485 I filed to CIS? I heard that you need to send an updated I-485 form with her name on it to CIS, is it true? Please share you opinion and experience. A million thanks.

EA

Your PD must be current to add your wife.

Thanks a lot. I guess my main question is whether I need to do anything with my own I-485 because it did not have my gf name on it, since we were not married at that time. Is it true that CIS will take care of this for me? I know I need to wait till my PD is current, but want to make sure everything else is ready beforehand.

SAMBOCICO said:
What you need to do is just file an I-485 for her and attach copy of your I-140 approval notice. Follow the instructions carefully.

You should not have any problem as long as your I-485 did not get approved.