Gurus, Please advise

SreeRaj

Registered Users (C)
My wac # 02-089-5****

ND,RD is 1/17/02

JIT date 12/16/01

AP expires 03/11/04

My lawyer asked me if I wanted to apply AP renewal since it would take around 6 months. My company says since it is your personal travel, you apply. The legal expenses for AP renewal are about 1300 dollars. And I am planning to travel to India in December. Now my questions are,

1. Should I wait for GC approval since it is very optimistic that it will get processed soon, may be... and not apply for AP since it is very expensive and after applying if I get GC, the money spent is gone with the wind....?????? This question arises after looking at the information in JIT and news that in October BCIS trying to clear AOS applications etc

2. If I do not get GC by March of '04, I will still need AP just to keep, since useful in case emergency travel. If I do not apply now, it won't come in 6 months, then I will have problems. So should I apply now????? and if I apply and keep the receipt, atleast I can go and get AP in local BCIS.

3. When do you think I can get my GC, pessimistic and optimistic predictions, any?

Please advise me.

Thanks,
SreeRaj

Apply AP by yourself. It's easy.

You need only pay application fee, which is $110, if I remember correctly.

Try emergency AP maybe you will be able to get that. Dude 1300 dollars is bit of a money for AP.
Even if you apply on your own it is quite simply. Even I did it...:) All you need is
1) AP form filled out.
2) EAD receipt (send a notarized copy)
3) 110 dollar check
4) EVL letter and include paystubs(just to be on safe side)

I got Emergency AP few days back and they took 110 dollars which i think is also too much...I spent all my liquor moni on AP this week...but that is me...so here I am without any liqour...

Being a Optimist I would say your GC will come by next April since the bloody sunset is over on religious worker ion 30th Sept.

Pessimistally: I would need BitterMan to take a stab and nilardi to handle the rest of the situation....

Last edited by a moderator:
But why do you need your lawyer to apply this for you.
All you need is a copy of your I-485 receipt, $110, download the appl. and apply yourself.

My Lawyer says $500 legal and $110 for app fee

So they are swindling the money to apply AP? And could you please tell me what the documents are required to apply AP renewal???

Thanks
SreeRaj

Here is the cover letter, required documents and postal address:

Sep 14,2003

Address if you want to send it thru Fedex or UPS. Do not forget to mention "I-131 Application, Attn: AOS Division".
U.S Immigration and Naturalization Service
California Service Center,
24000 Avila Road
2nd Floor, Room 2302
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

Address if you want to send thru USPS:
U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
California Service Center,
P.O. Box 30111
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0111.

RE: I-131 Travel Document Renewal for Mr. XXXXX

Dear Sir or Madam:

In connection with the above-captioned matter, enclosed please find an original/photocopy of each of the following documents.

I-131 APPLICATION AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR Mr. XXXXX:

Copy of I-485 RECEIPT NOTICE.
Copy of Photo Identification Documents (Employment Authorization Card).
Copy of my passport & Visa Photo pages.
Copy of my I-94.
Copy of the Approved Travel Document.
Check payable to BCIS for $110.
Form I-131: Application for Travel Document.
Two photographs with A# written on back with pencil
Marriage Certificate(for secondary applicant)
I-140 approval(for primary applicant)

I qualify for Advance Parole since I have a separate I-485 (adjustment of status) application for permanent residence filed with INS.

I have been away from my family since xx/xx/xxxx and I would like to visit my family in India. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Very truly yours,

Name and Address

-Hope this helps. you can get I-131 application from ins site

Last edited by a moderator:
PrasadS,
Good job.

Sreeraj,
As Prasad said, you prepare the covering letter with AP application and listed documents. Send the set to the street address by overnight mail OR to PO box address by normal mail.

You are all set and you have to spend $110 per application and charges for two ADIT style passport photos & postage.

Why the hell you attorney wants $500 to file AP? My attorney asked for $150 and I still thought its a waste and I sent our applications on my own last week. It is easy to do this yourself.

Good luck!

PrasadS/ND022202 Great JOB!

All we need to do is include it in the FAQ's or mark this thread out! I am sick to death of this question, and it would be nice to just point people to it!

Great Job guys!

thanks

Thanks for posting this info. Even we were thinking of doing the same as our lawyers here ask 200 each and with my spouse's lawyer it is 150 each.

I guess if for some reason, we do not the AP in time, we can always go for the emergency parole.

harac,

Some advice for you before you go for emergency parole. This is all my opinion.....

1) If you make the hospital excuse. Dont take any such docuemnt as Fax from hospital or any proof. If case they ask for such you can say that he/she is under diagnose in ECU what kinda of proof is required. I can get that and go little gloomy.

That sounds more belieable than prodcuing the papers right in front of them.

2) Always be polite and pleasant (under the circumstance) like goodmorning bullshit...
dont be overly friendly too....

3) Take your wife with you so it is like you are coming with family and family dont tend to lie about emergency as single ppl do.

4) Carry all the docs and pics and produce them there like you are sure that they will give you the AP.

Good luck!!!

thanks gcwaiter

Thanks for your advise.

Unfortunately we had to go through that once this May to attend to our MIL's demise and faced all the sh...once.

I just hope that there should not be any need for EAP again.

eAP denied at LA office

I applied for AP at laguna office on May20th (RD).

Went to local LA office in early sept to get eAP. They said they dont process APs for employment based 485s.
They said we should try at Laguna.

At Laguna, they have stopped taking walk-ins. They directed us to go to Santa Ana office. There the officer said to mail a new application to Laguna explaining need to travel.

We send a fax and letter to Laguna explaining our plight. But that obviously fell on deaf ears.

Our lawyer isn't too sure if sending a new application will help us or screw our current case. Given the irratic rate of work at INS, even though they are processing 12th may and beyond cases right now - not sure how soon or late they'll get to may 20th.

Has anybody tried to get eAP at Laguna?? Please help.