Grren Card and Marriage

Divorce Likely

We have our 'final interview' in March, but it seems that we are likely to divorce - given we have insurmountable personal differences. What do I need to do in order to withdraw my affadavit of personal support? Is there anything else I should know?

Green card and Marriage

Hello guys,
I spent the last couple weeks on the H Forum trying to get some information. The people were quite helpful. Here's what I found out:

If I marry a girl, living in any state- FL, CA, TX etc.- who already has an H-1, things aren't going to get any easier. Apparently, we can get married but she has to maintain her H-1 with the employer. We can visit each other during those long holiday deals but she has to stay in whatever state she curently lives. We file the I-130, I-485 etc.

The question is roughly when can she come here and live with me in CT? After the I-130 is approved? Or after her I-485 is approved? Any time frame about these things would be helpful. 6 months, 9-12 months, 15 months? Just curious so I can be clear. The lawyers make the whole thing sound easy but I guess it isn't.

The larger point is that if the girl has to wait for whatever amount of time it may be, it doesn't really matter where she waits, be it FL, CA, TX, or India. I am just trying to get a grasp on the time frames so I can tell the girl what she is up against and then she can decide what she wants to do.

Thanks guys for all your help. And let's just be civil about these things on this forum. Thanks.
akash

Hello guys,
I spent the last couple weeks on the H Forum trying to get some information. The people were quite helpful. Here's what I found out:

If I marry a girl, living in any state- FL, CA, TX etc.- who already has an H-1, things aren't going to get any easier. Apparently, we can get married but she has to maintain her H-1 with the employer. We can visit each other during those long holiday deals but she has to stay in whatever state she curently lives. We file the I-130, I-485 etc.

The question is roughly when can she come here and live with me in CT? After the I-130 is approved? Or after her I-485 is approved? Any time frame about these things would be helpful. 6 months, 9-12 months, 15 months? Just curious so I can be clear. The lawyers make the whole thing sound easy but I guess it isn't.

The larger point is that if the girl has to wait for whatever amount of time it may be, it doesn't really matter where she waits, be it FL, CA, TX, or India. I am just trying to get a grasp on the time frames so I can tell the girl what she is up against and then she can decide what she wants to do.

Thanks guys for all your help. And let's just be civil about these things on this forum. Thanks.
akash

Hi:

You are asking questions about "a girl" who does not even yet exist for the purposes of your life. You have not even met her. Focus on your own life and if you meet the right person, then you can start thinking about the details. "Finding the right girl" is not like hunting for a piece of jewelry or a good book!

Unless she is immediately able to receive an immigrant visa number, i.e. if you are sponsoring her as a citizen, she will have to maintain her status. An approved I130 in itself will not do you any good - it is only when she is eligible to file I485, and actually does so, that she can stop maintaining her other status.