Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

helge

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,

I am interested in finding out what I-485 applicants and green card holders have planned for their future in terms of becoming a US citizen or remaining green card holder.

Please participate in this poll.

Thanks,
Helge

I didn't understand why someone won;t apply for citizenship after 5 years of GC .. There is nothing to loose & now you can have dual citizenship, which implemented recently I guess ..

India will issue dual citizenships to US GC holders of Indian origin.

US, UK, australia, canada, and zew zealand are in the list

Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship and I am not sure if I want to surrender my German citizenship. Also, as a member country of the European Union I could life and work in 16 European countries - I don't think I want to do that, but it is nice to have that option available. Anyhow, in Germany politians are discussing the dual citizenship for some time - so far no luck, but I hope that will change in the next five years.

Who knows maybe our grandchildren will get 'Earth' citizenship allowing them to live in any corner of the world that they like.

re

I think i will apply for citizenship. That will give the flexibility to
come in and out easily, green card has some restriction how long
you can stay outside the country. Also i think India now allows
dual citizenship. Any way i do not want to loose mother country's
citizenship. Mother is mother allways :)

I am not sure. I don't want to ultimately live in this country it's not in my REAL long term plans ;)
But I guess with dual citizenship being avlbl I might give it a thought. I firmly believe in leaving a back door open.

Originally posted by pavan_gowliguda
I didn't understand why someone won;t apply for citizenship after 5 years of GC .. There is nothing to loose & now you can have dual citizenship, which implemented recently I guess ..

dual citizenship is one problem.
taxation is another.
say years from now after all the bushing US economy is totally trashed and i am FORCED to search for jobs outside the country.
Say i get a job in Japan or something . . . now if i'm a US citizen i have to pay tax to both countries.
this is my understanding anyway, i'm not a tax pro or anything. please consult your tax advisor.