Greencard for a 10month old kid

Sri20

Registered Users (C)
Myself, mywife, and my 10month old son were issued immigration visa's at chennai consulate in the month of oct'02.
My self and my wife have entered US and have received Plastic Cards also.
My Sons immigration visa is expiring on April'03, unfortunately we are unable to bring him due to job reasons at this time.

1.Is there any way to extend his visa?
* If so,Do I have to approach chennai consulate?

*If not/or else, can we again sponsor him for the green card at later stage
*If so, how long will it take for him to get his greencard.

Requesting suggestions

Sri:confused:

You should have brought him here. Gotten the plastic card and then taken him back. That way you might have had about 2 years before you need to do something about it. So, in those 2 years you could have brought him here again and then sent him back. I think if you let his visa expire you are out of luck as his was an immigration petition, you would have to file again and based on the greencard holders' (you) children category, who knows how long it would take to get his visa again?? So, go to India and bring him here before his visa expires or else be prepared to file again and wait a long time I guess.

But then, I am not an attorney so take all that advise with a grain of salt. :)

Originally posted by Sri20
Myself, mywife, and my 10month old son were issued immigration visa's at chennai consulate in the month of oct'02.
My Sons immigration visa is expiring on April'03, unfortunately we are unable to bring him due to job reasons at this time.

Requesting suggestions

QUOTE]Originally posted by Sri20

Requesting suggestions

[/QUOTE]

Wise suggestion patel !

Re: Re: Greencard for a 10month old kid

Originally posted by dvpatel
You should have brought him here. Gotten the plastic card and then taken him back. That way you might have had about 2 years before you need to do something about it. So, in those 2 years you could have brought him here again and then sent him back. I think if you let his visa expire you are out of luck as his was an immigration petition, you would have to file again and based on the greencard holders' (you) children category, who knows how long it would take to get his visa again?? So, go to India and bring him here before his visa expires or else be prepared to file again and wait a long time I guess.

But then, I am not an attorney so take all that advise with a grain of salt. :)

Does he have to wait here till he get his physical green card,

I thought we can take him back with the temporary evidence of green card on him passport. Am I Wrong?

Is it necessary to take Re-entry permit for him, if we bring him after one year(He would be 18 months old by that time).

Kindly some one let me know!!!

Re: Re: Re: Greencard for a 10month old kid

No. You can bring him. Apply for SSN, and then probably take him back. But why not just keep him here till the plastic card comes in. In any case once he enters here the stamp on his passport is proof that he has or will have a GC and hence you don't need re-entry permit. But if you are going to keep him outside the US for like more than 6 months, it would be wise to get that permit. I would also suggest you talk to a lawyer as living outside US for extended periods of time after getting GC can be grounds to deport you based on the fact that you are not willing to stay here. Not that INS deports anyone based on those grounds but they surely can cancel your GC. I know of someone (old couple) who got GC on F2A category. Came here. Got stamped filed for their children and went back waiting for the GC of the children to get approved as that they all can come together and they ran into problems as they stayed out of US for a long time.

Originally posted by Sri20
Does he have to wait here till he get his physical green card,

I thought we can take him back with the temporary evidence of green card on him passport. Am I Wrong?

Is it necessary to take Re-entry permit for him, if we bring him after one year(He would be 18 months old by that time).

Kindly some one let me know!!!