Registered Users (C)
receipt date sept 28,2001
notice date oct 25, 2001
rfe received jan 5, 2003
rfe replied march 7, 2003
contacted senator's office april 28,2003
senator's office took up my case approx may 10, 2003
approved as per online status may 16 ,2003

special registration country. rfe based on employment change after 180 days and birth certificate.

Congratulations

This is heartening news for people from SR countries.
deputydawg could you let us know if you informed the INS immediately upon changing jobs post 180 days ?

hi, actually my lawyer suggested that if the INS does not ask, then do not provide any information voluntarily. I got laid off 7 months after my receipt date. within 2 weeks i found similar job on EAD. I did not notify INS of this change of employment.

INS sent me a query asking my current employment status on Jan 03. I sent them my new employment letter as well as layoff letter from old company but NO PAYSTUBS. Again my lawyer suggested that unless INS specifically asks for it, do not send them any additional info.

recently i had been contacting different senators' offices and i don't know if this prompted a sudden approval of my case. But whatever it is, it's a big relief, especially in these times.

Congrats..!!

Can you please tell us which senator helped you out ?

In your earlier posting, you have mentioned that you contacted a lot of them, but only one senator showed some response..

congratulations!

which courtry are you from? what falls under special registration countries? Is there a link to the list?
Thanks.

hi, i had contacted michigan senators carl levin and debbie stabenow as well as north carolina senator john edwards and arizona senator john mccain. I contacted the two michigan senators because i am from michigan, the nc senator because my cousin's husband knows him through city government and mccain because he's the head to the bangladeshi lobbying group in the senate. so i assumed he'll be sympathetic to my cause.

Only senator stabenow's office contacted me and pledged to look up my immigration status with the BCIS. Within 10 days of me receiving their letter, my case was approved. I don't know if they had anything to do with it or it was just my turn but it is certainly a possibility because even two weeks ago, I was told by IIO that my case hasn't even gone to an officer yet.

hi ghee,

special registration countries are 23 countries of which 22 of them are predominantly muslim majority countries. the one exception is north korea. I'm sure their is a list somewhere in rajiv khanna's press releases.

basically, every male citizen of these countries who do not have green cards or naturalized citizenship need to register and explain their reason of being in the U.S. to the nearest INS office. This included nothing but answering a couple of questions and showing EAD card or visa etc. The only question I was asked was why I had canadian immigration.I told the truth and said the U.S. GC was taking too long and this was my safety net. Overall it was a surprisignly pleasant experience.

India isn't one of the countries that require special registration.

congrats, dawg!

it warms my cockles to see approvals for SR country nationals (hailing from one such leper colony myself). anyway, it is great you got your approval, and, recalling another thread, seems like some of your best-laid will have to wait for a bit...

but, hey, you got here; you'll get there too! congratulations again, and enjoy your freedom.

pork, yup, i've decided to take your advice and sit tight for a few months or so. after all this, i really don't want to raise any flags in the long run on my "employment-based" gc. : >

i think what pork means by "leper" is that there is some sort of discrimination going on for these SR countries. it is a shame that the purportedly most democratic and free country is using such anti-democratic dark-age means to flag certain countries and their denizens. i'm not, btw, from an SR country, but my wife is - even though i guess i'll never feel the pains of an SR immigrant, i can comprehend some looking from informed sources all around. after all, all anyone has ever asked from these BCIS guys was the right of equal opportunity, and, may be just a bit of dignity?

it'll be politically incorrect to state that a certain religion is being targeted and there's no way that the U.S. govt will come out and say it. But it seems a little odd that 22 of the 23 SR countries are predominantly of a specific religion. But then again, the INS was denying that there was a freeze in adjudication during sept 02 - jan 03. Then they admitted in jan 03 that there indeed had been a freeze as security procedures were being updated. So who knows, maybe they will eventually admit that these 23 countries were chosen for a specific reason.

When I had gone for my registration, the INS officer was chatting with me regarding policies and procedures and he did say that eventually every visitor and non immigrant in the U.S. will be "tagged and released". Then he laughed and said nobody knows as of yet how that'll be accomplished. Which makes me belive the number will remain at 23 for the forseeable future. I just don't see a Swiss or a Belgian visitor waiting in an INS office for special registration!!

Do they send out a letter or you have to

be just vigilant to find out whether your country is or will be listed in upcoming SR list. Would appreciate if someone can write a
link to the list. I am just lazy to go and search in different sites.
Any quicklink?
Thanks.