Greencard Approved (US. citizen spousal petition)

diavon

Registered Users (C)
Before I began the process, I had some questions. So I consulted an immigration lawyer I found on this site - Mr. Mills. It was a telephone consultation and very helpful. I would not call him inexpensive (which lawyer is?) but his advice was well worth it. It enabled me to do the whole process without hiring a lawyer and paying 4-5K that they would charge for something like this. Many thanks to him.

I first came to the US on F1 visa. Then I got a job and got an H1-B visa. Got married. My US citizen spouse petitioned first for an immigrant visa by filing the I-130 form with the CSC on April 15th 2002. One reason we did this is because we were not sure if we wanted to go the AOS route or the CP route. We indicated CP on the I-130 petition because it is fairly easy to change from CP to AOS but the same is not true the other way. The receipt date for the I-130 was April 30th. They made a mistake and assigned my case to the category of spouse of green card holder which I am not, instead of spouse of US Citizen which I am. I called them about it, faxed a letter and then FEDEXED another letter. Finally they got back to me saying they are aware of the error and it would be fixed at the time of adjudication. An RFE was issued for a marriage certificate in July which I mailed right away. The 130 petition was approved on August 7th 2002 (and under the right designation).

We then decided to go the AOS route and filed I-485 on August 15th 2002 with the San Jose INS office. I physically went and dropped it in the receptacle outside the office. My wife was not employed at the time of filing but since we had lived together for 6 months and I was earning enough by myself to beat the poverty line, I was able to file an Affadvait of Support, sponsoring myself. We got a receipt very quickly and I went to get my EAD. Stood in line the whole night but got my EAD from the San Jose office. This was late August.

We received the interview appointment letter and request for fingerprinting in early Jan. I got fingerprinting done the very next day by visiting the Application Support Center (ASC) in San Jose. It was a quick 10 minute process. Then I got working on getting the the medical report done. This took some time as I didnt have all the required vaccinations/records. I first went to my PCP and got all the immunizations for a $5 copay. Thanks to Sachin Phadke from this board for giving me this advice. Then I went to an inexpensive Mexican doctor in South San Jose and he did my medical for $85 + $30 chest Xray fee. His name was Dr. Albert A. Gomez and I recommend him highly. His office is very speedy with the paper work. The white/asian doctors up in Sunnyvale and other places charge $350 for the same process.

Also note that I got my fingerprinting done more than a month before my interview date. I would advise this to anyone who wants to walk out with their passports stamped on the day of the interview. If very little time has elapsed between your fingerprinting and interview, the INS will likely not have recieved the results from the FBI.

Feb. 12th was my interview. The interview was for 10:30AM and we showed up at 9:00AM. I wore a suit and tie and wife dressed formal also. The security cleared us fairly quickly although by the time we got into the office, they had made me remove my shoes, belt and coat. Once inside, we were directed up to the 2nd floor to the waiting area. I put my appointment letter in the basket under Window #2 and waited and waited. They finally called us at 11:30. The interviewer was a nice hispanic woman. She asked for and looked at the following:
1) My passport
2) My driver's license
3) My EAD
4) Spouse's passport
5) Spouse's driver's license
6) Joint apartment leases
7) Insurance policies
8) Utlity bills
9) Wedding photographs
10) Marriage certificate
11) Tax papers
12) Recent pay stubs
13) My birth certificate (didnt have original so got affadavit sent from india and got another from Indian consulate in SF)

She kept a copy of all of these. We had made the copies in advance and color tabbed it for her. This impressed her a lot. Then she asked a bunch of questions like if I ever committed a crime, if I was here to commit espionage etc. She also asked us where and when we met, was it an arranged marriage, who proposed, when my parents first met my spouse etc etc.

She was happy with everything but was about to ask us to mail in one more thing before approving us. For some reason she wasnt satisfied with the Marriage certificate but my wife told her that that was the original proof of marriage and i guess that sufficed because she moved on. She looked up the FBI results on the computer and approved the petition. She stamped the passport with the I-551 stamp for 1 year and said the card would come in the mail between 3-6 months. The EAD card and my I-94 were retained by her as they are not needed anymore. She also said that this was a conditional permenant residency and we would have to file I-751 21 months from now.

So thats my story. I will update the post, when the card actually comes in the mail. Thanks for all your help. :D

UPDATE (3/6/03): Received "Welcome Notice" from CSC today.

UPDATE (3/11/03): Received plastic card in the mail today. WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!! For me this is the end of the road... well atleast for the time being. Until I have to file to remove conditions but that is 20 months from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!

I got mine a day before you, so I guess, I might see post from you exactly 21 months from now, when you file the form to remove conditions.

All the best.......

Regards,
AmIinTrouble

AmIinTrouble

Congratulations on your interview...did you file in Newark???
I am going for EAD interview next week... when should i expect my temporary GREEN CARD interview?? i am planning international trip in MAY this year... i want to book tickets...My first reciept i got says I should get my I-485 approved by MAY 26th' 03...How close it gets ... i mean they are following this guidelines

Help

Thanks
Vishal

Re: AmIinTrouble

Vishal,

I filed my application in Newark, NJ.

In my case, they processed the application earlier than what they had mentioned in the letter.

I hope you get it soon too. All the best.

Regards,
AmIinTrouble

great job guys :) congratulations.

How long did it take for you frm filing ur I130 to getting your I485 approved?? just a time line for others to follow..

Once again enjoy the day

Sachin

My I-485 was filed San Francisco local office on April 19, 2002. Fingerprint was done in Oct. 29, 2002. My husband (a US Citizen, my sponsor) and I went for the interview on Dec. 16, 2002. The interview went well. However, at the end of interview we were told that the case is approvable; the security check is necessary after Sep.11. Therefore, he cannot stamp my passport and I have to go home to wait for the approval notice. We were handed a piece of paper. The paper says, “This letter in reference of your application of permanent residence. You cans has been continued for reasons checked below.” The box checked is Security clearance. It seems to me San Jose office has approved case on site. Does anybody out there know what is wrong with my case? By the way, I am not from a country that INS requires special registration. INS should not have any doubt about our marriage since we provide strong support documents such as the title of the house owned by both us, all kinds of insurance polices under both names. Although we brought our wedding and living photos along, he never asked. I would appreciate all kind comments and help!!
JICT

Update

I got something from the CSC today in the mail. It was dated March 3, 2003 and postmarked March 4th. Isko dehkte hi mera phat gaya!! For those who dont know Hindi, I shat in my pants as soon as I saw it. I thought they are going to revoke my Green Card!!!

As it turned out, it was a Welcome Notice. phew It is form I-181 and it basically reaffirms my permanent resident status. It also says that I should be getting my card within the next 3 weeks. (yeah... right... we'll see about that).

So if you were recently approved for permanent residency, and get something in the mail that doesnt feel like a plastic card, dont get scared like me. :p

Got plastic card

Card created: 3/1/2003
Envelope postmarked: 3/7/2003

Got it today. They provide a little holder for it too. Cute.

The category on the card is CR6. Does anyone know what that means?

Thanks everyone :D :D :D

Congratulations on your green card receipt.

I wish I could say the same for my wife. We filed I-130 and other paperwork early in Dec of 2001 at the INS office in Houston, TX. We soon afterward recieved the acceptance letter, and then heard nothing for quite some time. We finally recieved the request for fingerprinting, medical exam, and support affidavit in the summer of 2002. We immediately prepared the information requested and I took her to the center listed to have her fingerprints taken. It's now been almost one year since that was done, and we've heard nothing from the INS involving the interview since. Nothing. Of course we have no way of checking the status with them because we don't even know what out "Case" number is. I'm a citizen applying for her BTW. I'm just at my wits end. My wife has not seen her family for well over 2 years now and of course the igmo's at the Bogota consulate will not grant my wife's family tourist visas to come visit, so we are stuck waiting on her GC. I'm afraid to attempt to travel with her with only AP. They have been decent about keeping her EAD active but we've already had to renew it once...and I can imagine that we are going to have to renew it again seeing the speed of this process. I'm sorry for venting...I just have serious issues with my government right now :D

Look on the bright side:
1) Your wife is with you and not in Bogota
2) When you do get it, it will be permanent. You wont have to go through all the removing conditional status BS that I will.

I dont think travelling on AP should be a problem as long as she was not out of status when you filed for green card. Make sure about that. If she was out of status when you filed and she leaves, she wont be able to come back for a long time.

diavon,

I got the I-181 last week and I too had a similar experience like you.

"Isko dehkte hi mera phat gaya!! "

The letter from VSC had a spelling mistake in my first name.

When I went for my interview, I told the interviewer, that that latest letter from them had a mistake in the name. She corrected it and said, not to worry. But when I got the letter last week, I said to myself, well here we go again, I will have to go through more paperwork to get it corrected.

Then yesterday, I got three (not one) more I-181 from VSC with my correct name on it. That was a relief and today I got my grencard in the mail, with all the correct information. Yipee!!

Regards,
AmIinTrouble

It is conditional, like yours. I had my interview one day before you. I guess we will be here on this board when it is time to remove the condition.

Regards,
Am I in Trouble

Affidavit of acknowledgement of marital status

Guys,

I have a quick question about the affidavit of acknowledgement of marital status from 3 people.
Is there a format for this letter or affidavit?
None of you have mentioned it.
My interview is due in week or so.

TIA,
Coolglobal