Greencard approved and No job

PERM2010

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

Here is the scenario

I am working for a company for last 5 years, they applied my first labor on 2003, stuck in backlog. Then they applied again 2005 (PERM) and filed 485 before retrogression. By god grace my GC got approved this August 2007.
Immediately after approval my consulting project got ended and I am not paid for last 3 paycheck. I am patiently waiting for him to find the project. Now I got a project in a company who is willing to hire me as a direct employee.

Can you please guide me what steps I should take to inform my employer.

Should I wait sometime for him to find project or should I continue to accept the offer and move ahead?

Thank you for your help.

Since you have your GC. I suppose you took care of your SS and took out the INS annotation regarding exclusive work for petitioning employer. The GC enables you to work where ever you please. Although some people suggest staying with current employer a little after you get your GC for Citizenship purpose.

If I were on your situation, I'll take both jobs if all possible. I understand we all need to be paid to survive. No harm in having some backup income.

Thank you for your advice, do you mean I should continue to be working for GC responser even thou he don't pay me, how long I should do that? Can't I say good bye now, reason not finding job for 2 months.

Since you have your GC. I suppose you took care of your SS and took out the INS annotation regarding exclusive work for petitioning employer. The GC enables you to work where ever you please. Although some people suggest staying with current employer a little after you get your GC for Citizenship purpose.

If I were on your situation, I'll take both jobs if all possible. I understand we all need to be paid to survive. No harm in having some backup income.

Most attorneys suggest stay with sponsoring employer for at least 6 months. just incase it comes up during interview for citizenship later on. However, there's no clear cut rule on this. Would not hurt to stick around a bit since you can practically concentrate on your second job despite being employed by your petitioner.

What if he finds a junk job in couple of weeks and offer that, should I that time reject offer or accept. I cannot work practically 2 full time jobs together.

Most attorneys suggest stay with sponsoring employer for at least 6 months. just incase it comes up during interview for citizenship later on. However, there's no clear cut rule on this. Would not hurt to stick around a bit since you can practically concentrate on your second job despite being employed by your petitioner.

What if he finds a junk job in couple of weeks and offer that, should I that time reject offer or accept. I cannot work practically 2 full time jobs together.

This is entirely up to you. Like I noted earlier it was a suggestion. Lots of law offices give first consultation for free. you may need to find one and ask.

Balance the risks and the rewards. If you don't take the job being offered, you could have a long time without any work. If you take it, you face the risk of having some trouble at citizenship time (or sooner if the employer complains -- but since the employer is the one who stopped paying you, they also put themselves in trouble by complaining).

You can mitigate the citizenship risk by waiting at least 6 years instead of 5 to apply. The citizenship application only asks for the most recent 5 years of employment history, so waiting would make it less obvious that you left the original employer so soon. If questioned on it, you can defend your position with (1) you worked for them for 2 years after filing I-485, and (2) the employer's decision made you leave. Or you can decide not to apply for citizenship at all.

If you're laid off after getting the GC, you may very well change jobs as you were still in good faith to continue the employment. However, I would get a letter if at all possible from the current employer that the contract has been terminated.

Above may help at the time of naturalization.

Good Luck!

Mahesh