Green card

Bob52

Registered Users (C)
I came as an F-1, got my RN in 2002 and BSN in 2003. I have done the nclex and have a cgfns certificate. My student visa expired in 2001 and my I-94 states D/S. My husband is also not in good standing, and we've a two year old born here in the US. How can I adjust my status using my nursing degree?

Did you apply for optional practical training (OPT) after you finished your studies?
Exp. date on visa does not mean that much. Duration of status means that as long as you are in school or working on OPT you are in status.

Are you out of status right now?
If yes, how long have you been out of status?

P.S. You got your BSN so fast?

I forgot to mention I came in 1997, graduated in 99 with an LPN/LVN, first then climbed up the ladder to RN then BSN. In the process, I fell out. I've been out of status for > 180 days.

P.S. I got my BSN that fast coz I have a very supportive husband, and as I was doing my RN, I was also taking some classes towards my BSN, so when I graduated with my RN, I had very few classes for the BSN that took only two consecutive semesters but I spaced them out to three.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try to adjust your status ( EB3).
But first you must have visa screen certificate and an employer that will sponsor you.
Do you have an attorney that can help you?

I got a visa screen certificate.
What is an EB3 and what does it entail?
I know a couple of lawyers I have talked to before without any luck. Do you know of any with the EB3 experience?
One hospital had agreed to sponsor me last year but backed out stating that the process will take too long and cannot guarentee that position that long.

I do not want to sound negative here, but I think there is no way for you to adjust. Maybe the law will chage sometime soon allowing to do that, but as of today out of status cannot adjust.
Two year old son will not help until he is 18...

Bob52 said:
I got a visa screen certificate.
What is an EB3 and what does it entail?
I know a couple of lawyers I have talked to before without any luck. Do you know of any with the EB3 experience?
One hospital had agreed to sponsor me last year but backed out stating that the process will take too long and cannot guarentee that position that long.

Immigrant visa for a skilled worker. Nurses fall under schedule A category.
I do know one attorney. Where are you located?
You must talk with an attorny and let him know that you're out of status, before you even start thinking about filing.
You're out of status situation can be a problem.

I don't understand.
you say that you didn't apply for OPT. Did you work at all? Do you have any practical experience? Why do you think that you are out of status?

Thank you AnnaRN for all your advice. I am in Charlotte, North Carolina.
JohnConor, no I did not apply for OPT, yes I've worked and not the right way, I do have practical experience, and am out of status.

Bob52 said:
Thank you AnnaRN for all your advice. I am in Charlotte, North Carolina.
JohnConor, no I did not apply for OPT, yes I've worked and not the right way, I do have practical experience, and am out of status.

I don't know anybody in NC, but you can check with the hospital that you apply in. They usually have an attorney that works with them and has an experience with EB3.
Good luck to you.l

JohnConor said:
I don't understand.
you say that you didn't apply for OPT. Did you work at all? Do you have any practical experience? Why do you think that you are out of status?

She doesn't "think" she's out of status. She IS out of status.

AnnaRN, if you know for sure that she is out of status>180 days, why did you recommend her to file for AOS then?
Do you know a "magic trick"? Or maybe your attorney does? :D

In fact we didn't get any prove here that this person is out of status. When did she graduate from the school? What did she do after that? Maybe she didn't graduate, and failed the course? :confused: What did she do for reinstatment? What were her grounds for employment eligibility if she didn't apply for OPT? We don't know that. Bob52, could you provide more information about your situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnConor, thank you but take it easy on AnnaRN. This is a website for seeking immigration help and advice, not posting argumentative or attacking threads or replies. She is just offering what she knows. From when I posted this thread, I do not have to explain my situation further. Just read thead since it was posted from Jan 17th 2006 7:05pm and let me know what else you need to know.
AnnaRN, Please give me the contacts of the attorney you said you knew regardless of the city and state he/she is.

If you are out of status mor ethan 180 days, there is no way to file for GC under current laws. You may keep working as usual if nobody makes you on troubles, and waiting for either amnesty or Bush's "willing employers willing workers" or some similiar proposals approved by Congress. Then you may have chance to legalize your status. You need to keep an eye on the changes of immigration laws. Good luck!