Green card

jparikh1

Registered Users (C)
I'm currently on H1-B visa in US. I got my visa changed from F1 to H1-B in US itself. Hence, my passport still holds F1, but I have the H1-B visa document

My fiancee is a US Citizen. So I would like to proceed to get Green Card based on her petition.
If we get married in US and how long does it take to get a Green Card and the EAD ?

Also, can we travel outside US (to India) and come back to US without having to worry about my H1-B stamping ?

Also, if I get my EAD through her within couple of months, can I travel based on that outside US ? I dont have to worry about my H1-B from that point onwards ? Is that correct ?

Guidance is really appreciated !
Regards,
jp

As soon as you file for Adjustment of status (family-based green card), your status could be considered AOS.
As soon as you get your EAD and start working with it your H1 visa is no longer valid.
You can keep on working under your visa until you get EAd. That's what I did. I worked under J1 with Adjusment of status -pending until I got the EAD.
It takes on avarage 2 months for Ead. It took me a little bit over 3 months to get mine, and 10 months altogether to get the green card in the mail.
The wating time for your green card interview really depends on your local office processing speed.

You can travel with Advance Parole only. EAD authorizes you to work
Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator: