green card through marrige.Unauthorized employment during F1 visa

Nervous_Nelle said:
While working without authorization, and using your social security card, did you mark "US citizen" on the W-4 so that you could work without showing papers, just your social security card?

My husband did that.

We are now in the process of filing for AOS, etc. I am wracked with anxiety - will his having marked "US Citizen" so he could work by just showing his social security card cause him to not be able to adjust status and be deported?

Is this what you did? Anyone know if a bonafied, legitimate marriage to a US Citizen will have this act forgiven?

-Nelle

Hi:

The facts, as you give them, present a very different issue. Representing yourself as USC when you are not can cause big problems.

You need to consult an attorney in your area ASAP. This is not an issue for a newsgroup. Make sure you tell the attorney the WHOLE TRUTH, i.e. what he said/wrote, on which form etc. etc.

yujes said:
I had to pay my own tuition so i started working using my SSN illegally. .... Now I am about marry with a US citizen ( a girl that I love) so I just wanted to make sure that me engaging with unauthorized emloyment wouldnt affect my grenncard application.

When you say you used your SSN illegally - are you referring to using it and stating that you marked "US Citizen" on W-4 so that you could work fulltime? As F1's usually have a limited number of hours they can work and locations (ie: only at the university) that they can work. Is this what you did?

-Nelle

he's going to pay or maybe NOT.

Nervous_Nelle said:
When you say you used your SSN illegally - are you referring to using it and stating that you marked "US Citizen" on W-4 so that you could work fulltime? As F1's usually have a limited number of hours they can work and locations (ie: only at the university) that they can work. Is this what you did?

-Nelle

Nelle,

Your situation is different, and getting advise from someone else's situation isn't going to help you in anyway. The fact of the matter is that your husband committed one of these crimes which there's no waiver for. As such, he is going to pay dearly for this stupid indiscretion. Of all things, claiming to be a US citizen isn't taken for granted, especially since changes to the law in 1996. :(

You have to hope that you can file and sneak under USCIS without him being detected for this crime. Is there a guarantee that he can be approved for AOS without USCIS finding out? You bet he can, but he has to be very tactful in his interview for AOS. He filed for taxes, should he showed that he paid them, and this could be where the crap hits the fan. :confused: At times, USCIS officers could ask you if you ever claimed to be a US citizen. At times, they might not. As such, your prayer from now on should be that USCIS don't dig this dirty little secret of your husband and bust his nuts for his foolishness. :eek:

USCIS is prone to mistakes, and your husband could benefit from USCIS lack of order and thorough background investigation. The key is also to shut up and never volunteer ANY information which you weren't asked for. For example, your husband could be asked if he worked without authorization and did he pay taxes? His answer should be: Yes, I worked without authorization. Yes, I paid my taxes. NOT: When my EAD expired, I worked without authorization and marked US citizen on my I-9, and yes I paid my taxes as a US citizen. :rolleyes: He is going to be toast and your relationship forever damage by his permanent removal from the US. IF USCIS orders his deportation, he's going to be finger printed and photographed before leaving the US, and permanently barred from the USCIS.... till Jenna Bush because AG of the State of Texas. :D

My advise, seek a competent immigration lawyer who can advise you. Pay to get a solid legal advise, because if you want to be cheap, the cheap becomes expensive in the long run... :eek:

did the SS card not have a message written on it about "valid for employment only authorized by INS"?

did the SS card not have a message written on it about "valid for employment only authorized by INS"?

Some businesses hire student with such SS cards. Don't forget that many US citizens don't know what INS is. Many of them can barely read. But they can be a business owner at the same time.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as OP. Due to several unexpected events (women are expensive lol) i've found myself in somewhat tight financial situation. I'm in the US on F1 visa, married to a USC recently but i've had to take a job to put in my share of money into our lives. A friend of mine agreed to hire me, I've paid taxes on my income, and other than that i've always stuck to all visa regulations.

So i understand that GC won't be denied based on unauthorized employment. But i'd like to know whether I should disclose the fact that i'm employed in all the paper work? I really don't want to get my friend into any trouble for helping me out. And I don't want to do anything to hurt my own immigration process either, because the sooner i get my GC the sooner I can provide for my wife properly.

So should I list my current job in the forms or omit this information and hope they don't find out? If I do include this info should i give an explanation as to why i'm violating my terms of my current visa e.g. I need to provide for my wife?

Thanks for any and all advise,

Mike

USCIS Paperwork doesn't ask if you have worked. They will want to know however if you have a job, so you will need a letter from your employeer stating how long you have worked there, and how much you make per hour.

Tell you employeer that you are applying for a mortgage, credit ect.. thats why you need it.Get your employeer to address it to 'Whom this may concern" USCIS doesn't care that you have worked, they prefer you have a job already. Don't be worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to use money earned illegally on your Affidavit of Support? Hmm... I guess I can't think of a reason why not.... certainly sounds dodgy though. You might want to read the instructions carefully. I have a recollection that money earned while not in legal status cannot be used, not sure though.

I used the money I earned illegally for 7yrs at my employeer for the affidavit of support. They don't care, they want you to be employeed!

-Nelle

W-4 doesn't ask for citizen status.

Nelle,

Your situation is different, and getting advise from someone else's situation isn't going to help you in anyway. The fact of the matter is that your husband committed one of these crimes which there's no waiver for. As such, he is going to pay dearly for this stupid indiscretion. Of all things, claiming to be a US citizen isn't taken for granted, especially since changes to the law in 1996. :(

You have to hope that you can file and sneak under USCIS without him being detected for this crime. Is there a guarantee that he can be approved for AOS without USCIS finding out? You bet he can, but he has to be very tactful in his interview for AOS. He filed for taxes, should he showed that he paid them, and this could be where the crap hits the fan. :confused: At times, USCIS officers could ask you if you ever claimed to be a US citizen. At times, they might not. As such, your prayer from now on should be that USCIS don't dig this dirty little secret of your husband and bust his nuts for his foolishness. :eek:

USCIS is prone to mistakes, and your husband could benefit from USCIS lack of order and thorough background investigation. The key is also to shut up and never volunteer ANY information which you weren't asked for. For example, your husband could be asked if he worked without authorization and did he pay taxes? His answer should be: Yes, I worked without authorization. Yes, I paid my taxes. NOT: When my EAD expired, I worked without authorization and marked US citizen on my I-9, and yes I paid my taxes as a US citizen. :rolleyes: He is going to be toast and your relationship forever damage by his permanent removal from the US. IF USCIS orders his deportation, he's going to be finger printed and photographed before leaving the US, and permanently barred from the USCIS.... till Jenna Bush because AG of the State of Texas. :D

My advise, seek a competent immigration lawyer who can advise you. Pay to get a solid legal advise, because if you want to be cheap, the cheap becomes expensive in the long run... :eek:

USCIS won't ask about unauthorized employment at AOS interview, they don't care because of marriage to US citizen. There is no such thing a paying taxes as a "US Citizen" It only asks if you are a resident of the US.

Not to rain on your parade, but doesn't working outside the F1 regulations mean you were not legally in F1 status? So they could argue that since you didn't maintain your F1 status here (by working outside F1 regulations), you were illegally present and that could certainly hurt you - I'm not sure by how much. So yeah, get a lawyer!

He entered legally with inspection. Married to US Citizen, so that won't matter that he didn't keep his F-1 status.

Mr.Al Southner...

False claim to US Citizenship has been address on here many times before, please read below. There is relief for people in this situation.

http://www.nilc.org/immsemplymnt/ircaempverif/irca058.htm

9TH CIRCUIT VACATES NONCITIZEN’S CRIMINAL CONVICTION FOR FALSE CLAIM TO U.S. CITIZENSHIP ON I-9 FORM
Immigrants' Rights Update, Vol. 18, No. 7, November 8, 2004

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit recently vacated the criminal conviction of a worker who had been convicted of falsely claiming to be a U.S. citizen because, in the process of completing an I‑9 employment eligibility verification form, he had checked the box next to the statement, “I attest, under penalty of perjury, that I am . . . [a] citizen or national of the United States.”

Ali Abdulati Karaouni, a Lebanese national who entered the U.S. in 1992 and whose authorization to stay and work here expired in Jan. 1994, had been arrested in Sept. 2002 by an agent of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, who also seized documents belonging to Karaouni and interrogated him. Subsequently, Karaouni was arraigned on charges relating to an I‑9 form he had filled out in July 1998 when he was hired by St. Agnes Medical Center in Fresno, CA, on which he had attested to being a citizen or national of the U.S. The count that Karaouni was tried for and ultimately convicted of was willfully making a false claim to being a U.S. citizen in violation of 18 USC sec. 911. In June 2003, after a two-day trial, the court sentenced him to three months in prison. Because Karaouni had been incarcerated since his arrest, the court credited him for the time he had served, and he was immediately deported to Lebanon.

Karaouni appealed his criminal conviction to the Ninth Circuit, contending that the evidence that had been presented against him was insufficient to support his conviction because no rational juror could find beyond a reasonable doubt that, by checking the box on the I‑9 form, Karaouni had made a claim to be a U.S. citizen, as opposed to a U.S. national.

In its decision, the Ninth Circuit noted that there are three essential elements of a sec. 911 violation. In Karaouni’s case, the government had the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt (1) that Karaouni had made a false claim of U.S. citizenship, (2) that his misrepresentation was willful (i.e., voluntary and deliberate), and (3) that it was conveyed to someone with good reason to inquire into his citizenship status. The issue on appeal concerned the first element.

It was undisputed that Karaouni was not a U.S. citizen in July 1998, when he filled out the I‑9 form and checked the attestation box. However, Karaouni pointed out that the statement printed on the I‑9 form next to the box he checked is phrased in the disjunctive and that therefore no rational juror could find beyond a reasonable doubt that he was claiming to be a U.S. citizen and not a U.S. national.

The court found the syntactic structure of the phrase to be critical, because the legal definitions of a U.S. national and a U.S. citizen are distinct. The court also found that the plain language of 18 USC sec. 911 provides only that a false claim to U.S. citizenship is a crime. Therefore, the court concluded that there was insufficient evidence to support Karaouni’s conviction. In doing so, it found that the trial court “violated a basic principle of criminal law by allowing the government to prove that an individual committed the charge offense by showing that he committed either that offense or some other act.” The court reversed Karaouni’s conviction, holding that his answer on the I‑9 form cannot constitute an offense under sec. 911 because Karaouni merely attested that he was a U.S. citizen or a U.S. national, and a claim to U.S. nationality, even if false, does not violate sec. 911.

U.S. v. Karaouni, 379 F.3d 1139 (9th Cir. 2004).

Last edited by a moderator:
f1, AP, I-485 based on marriage to USC

hi

maybe somebody knows an answer to the following question
If I entered USA on J-1 visa and then applied for F1 status without ever being illegal. then while on F1 status, that person was working out of campus and more than 20 hours. Then that person got married to USC and applied for adjustment of status. He/she got travel document( advance parole) and wants to go home for 3-4 weeks.
as i understand tha fact that he/she was working illegally will not harm in getting green card. but what if that person goes home on AP and then comes back to the the USA and goes for the itnerview? can unathorized work and travel on AP become a reason for a bar to a GC?
I was reading that people were saying something like if you work on F1 status ilelgally, then you are out of status.
I talked to a lawyer and he says that that person is fine and can travel. but i was reading forums and see that there is something to worry.
if anybody knows something about it or knows a good lawyer( i eman really good and knowledgable) please help

thank you

hi

maybe somebody knows an answer to the following question
If I entered USA on J-1 visa and then applied for F1 status without ever being illegal. then while on F1 status, that person was working out of campus and more than 20 hours. Then that person got married to USC and applied for adjustment of status. He/she got travel document( advance parole) and wants to go home for 3-4 weeks.
as i understand tha fact that he/she was working illegally will not harm in getting green card. but what if that person goes home on AP and then comes back to the the USA and goes for the itnerview? can unathorized work and travel on AP become a reason for a bar to a GC?
I was reading that people were saying something like if you work on F1 status ilelgally, then you are out of status.
I talked to a lawyer and he says that that person is fine and can travel. but i was reading forums and see that there is something to worry.
if anybody knows something about it or knows a good lawyer( i eman really good and knowledgable) please help

thank you

The lawyer is right he will be fine. But if he is really worried about he should just wait it out

thanks for the answer.
do you know any website where I can read the law about a situation like that.

So are you saying that if I was never illegal (as for status) and was working on F1 visa, then got married to USC and received AP, I am 100%good to travel on AP and will not have problems because of my unauthorized work even though I put it on my appplication to USCIS all the jobs I performed without authorization(since I was working on paycheck and was paying taxes)

are you somehow connected with the law or you know it from your own experience?

thank you again. I really want to go see my family. but if i learn that there can be a problem in future because of unauthorized work and travel on AP, then I will wait.

For certain nonimmigrant statuses (F-1 and J-1), I-94s are endorsed "D/S," meaning "duration of status." Since there is no specific expiration date, aliens holding "D/S" I-94 cards do not begin to accrue unlawful presence unless USCIS makes an affirmative finding that the alien has violated his or her status.[3] For example, if an alien holding F-1 status with an I-94 marked D/S applies for a change of status to H-1B, and the change of status is denied because USCIS finds that the alien has violated his F-1 status, then the alien begins to accrue unlawful presence upon the denial of his change of status application, even though the I-94 never "expired." Similarly, if an Immigration Judge makes a determination of a status violation in a removal proceeding of an F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant who is admitted D/S, unlawful presence begins to accrue even though the I-94 never "expired."

Any nonimmigrant, no matter what his status, who is found by USCIS or an Immigration Judge to have violated his status, begins to accrue unlawful presence upon the date of that finding, even if his I-94 has not expired. Again, USCIS would generally only make such a finding in connection with an application for a benefit, and an Immigration Judge would make this determination in proceedings.

INS hardly prosecutes employers for hiring illegal immigrants unless the number of illegal employees in very high !!

Check the I-485 Filing Instructions

thanks for the answer.
do you know any website where I can read the law about a situation like that.

So are you saying that if I was never illegal (as for status) and was working on F1 visa, then got married to USC and received AP, I am 100%good to travel on AP and will not have problems because of my unauthorized work even though I put it on my appplication to USCIS all the jobs I performed without authorization(since I was working on paycheck and was paying taxes)

are you somehow connected with the law or you know it from your own experience?

thank you again. I really want to go see my family. but if i learn that there can be a problem in future because of unauthorized work and travel on AP, then I will wait.

Check the I-485 Filing Instructions document available on the USCIS Website under Forms and that covers the eligibility requirements.