Green card stolen

Hx3

Hey everyone sorry this is long.
I had my green cards issued back in 2015 and finally received it in early 2016. Unfortunately I was robbed and they were all stolen along with all my identity, passport, licence etc.
Also, due to family issues and a few other major events. We didn’t end up going back to the USA (haven’t been there since 2015)
I believe I have “abandoned” the green card but don’t know how to have this confirmed. I am in Australia. I have also emailed and called numerous times to ask if my green cards can be listed as stolen but never get a clear reply.
who can I contact to 1:ensure the cards are listed as stolen and 2: see if I have abandoned them because we have not been back to the USA. I have given up hope of ever getting a new green card. however I did book a flight to the USA more recently but the airline told me they will not check me in at the airport with out the physical green card (you’d think it would be in the system under my passport number) so I didn’t want to waste my money and I cancelled the flights. Before this, I also tried to apply for the esta online but that kept coming back declined. Is this because I kind of still have the green card?
Can I return to the states even for a holiday??
This is all so confusing, I hope someone can help on here :) thank you for any advice

Since you are not planning to live in the US anymore, you should file I-407 to explicitly relinquish your permanent residency. Until you do that, you remain a resident alien for tax purposes, and are subject to US taxes on your worldwide income.

I am not sure why you are denied an ESTA, but given that your ESTA is denied, you would apply for a B2 visitor visa to visit the US (once the COVID-19 situation is over).

Hey everyone sorry this is long.
I had my green cards issued back in 2015 and finally received it in early 2016. Unfortunately I was robbed and they were all stolen along with all my identity, passport, licence etc.
Also, due to family issues and a few other major events. We didn’t end up going back to the USA (haven’t been there since 2015)
I believe I have “abandoned” the green card but don’t know how to have this confirmed. I am in Australia. I have also emailed and called numerous times to ask if my green cards can be listed as stolen but never get a clear reply.
who can I contact to 1:ensure the cards are listed as stolen and 2: see if I have abandoned them because we have not been back to the USA. I have given up hope of ever getting a new green card. however I did book a flight to the USA more recently but the airline told me they will not check me in at the airport with out the physical green card (you’d think it would be in the system under my passport number) so I didn’t want to waste my money and I cancelled the flights. Before this, I also tried to apply for the esta online but that kept coming back declined. Is this because I kind of still have the green card?
Can I return to the states even for a holiday??
This is all so confusing, I hope someone can help on here :) thank you for any advice

yeah, it doesn’t work that having a green card “number” in the system is enough to board. The CBP provides airlines with acceptable proof of LPR status for boarding, you need some form of physical evidence (green card, i551 stamp, etc). Your green card is linked to you, not your passport (passports expire and change number, people have passports from different countries, etc.)

You are indeed presumed to have abandoned residence after such a long absence (it is presumed abandoned after a one year absence, but I’m guessing your ESTA was declined because you never formally withdrew your permanent residence. As above, suggest you file an i407 to confirm it, then apply for a B. You could try the SB1 returning resident visa route if you want to move back but to be honest it doesn’t sound like you’d be successful, you’d need to prove circumstances beyond your control prevented you from returning to the US, which isn’t what it sounds like from your description.

Did you file a police report listing your stolen green card among the other stolen items?

Thank you for your replies.

I will have to make an appointment to surrender the green cards (when the covid is over) as it’s a flight to the nearest us consulate. I am guessing all the family that we’re issued cards will need to be there in person to also surrender the status?
yes, I filed a police report.
The main reason why I was unable to move to the USA was illness with a family member that was serious and required my care. Alongside a few other family issues I won’t go into for your benefit.
Thank you again for the replies.
It’s heartbreaking that I was unable to move to the states. Hope you all stay well and safe.

Thank you for your replies.

I will have to make an appointment to surrender the green cards (when the covid is over) as it’s a flight to the nearest us consulate.

No. See https://au.usembassy.gov/visas/immi...donment-lawful-permanent-resident-lpr-status/

also https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-407instr.pdf?download=1

on the rest:
did you submit a copy of the police report to the embassy? (that’s the usual procedure, though it’s normally done when requesting a replacement green catd, which you don’t appear to have done.)
again, if you feel you can prove circumstances beyond your control were to blame then you can investigate SB1. In that case obviously don’t submit i407.

Last edited:
Thank you again Susie
the form asks for an A number. Where would I find that?
I’m surprised I have to post all this information via the post. There should be a person At the embassy or at least an online way to do this. having my identity already stolen makes me nervous to post this information overseas. As it’s for my whole family too.
no, I haven’t given them any police report. They were extremely unhelpful and any call centre sent me around in circles.
I emailed multiple times with my situation and asked for help on what to do but only got generic automated replies.
thank you again

You used to be able to file I-407 at a consulate. But earlier this year they changed it so that you can only mail it in to USCIS.

Do you have a copy of your green card? immigrant visa? I-130/I-140/I-485 notices? You should be able to find your A number from any of those.

Thank you newacct
I have found documents that have my A number :) its a shame they don’t allow me to file in person. I would rather know that it’s completed correctly instead of relying on the postal service and the timeframes are very long.
I was reading through the first link from Susieqqq and came across the last sentence

Individuals may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a Us port of entry

How can I do this? Would I even be allowed to board a plane to the USA without my physical green card? And because my esta kept coming back declined wouldn’t the airline check in agent refuse to give me my boarding pass?

I was reading through the first link from Susieqqq and came across the last sentence

Individuals may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a Us port of entry

How can I do this? Would I even be allowed to board a plane to the USA without my physical green card? And because my esta kept coming back declined wouldn’t the airline check in agent refuse to give me my boarding pass?
I think that is for when people fly to the US with their green card, and the immigration officer at entry thinks they have abandoned residence and pressures them to sign I-407 to give up their green card. As you said, you can't do this because you don't have your green card.