Green card soldiers died for adopted country

Just came back from our weekend drill, and bumped into Petty Officer Takita Moro, US Navy. He was enlisted in Yokosuka US Naval Base in Japan while he was a Japanese national, not even a PR.

Your claims below are wrong :

At this time, you MUST have at least a green card to enlist in the armed forces, period.

I do not know where on earth did you get the information. To qualify under INA 329, a non-PR person MUST MUST be in the United States at the time of his or her induction into the armed forces.

Per my information, any commanding officer of a MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) unit abroad or a Military Attache of a US Embassy or Consulate can enlist a foriegner into US military. And this MEPS and Embassies that are located outside the US are considered American territory for legal purposes.

Also, you wrote

Understand something clearly, it is the Military Officers in INS Nebraska (and NOWHERE else) who look at all military N-400 and then forward that to regular INS for approval or send it back to the soldiers for correction.

You probably never put together a N-426 for Military folks, but keep pursuing this discussion claiming that you know what the law is. You also claimed that you actually spoke to the General Cousel of INS who told you INS interpretaion of military rules for N-400.

I must warn you, that I can have JAG look at your posts online and especially your claims to access to INS general counsel interpretations and pursue this further.

It the military deems this a fit case, they can break your anonimity, please understand that well.

Info

I spoke five different attorneys and a retired assistant INS directors at a banquet. No one know what you are talking about. The information at the INS website is very clear and is beyond misunderstanding
What the military thinks has no legal effect on other government agencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilbert,

Plealse be more respectful of others even if you know they are wrong.

I am a Navy veteran who served for 19 years in the Philippines
and Japan. I can absolutely confirm to you that we do not enlist foreign nationals abroad and those who work for us abroad have no special claim for citizenship. Thank you for your attention.

Interestingly enough, since he claimed to be a paralegal, I asked him to make this clear in his posts. So far, he just put the IANAL (I am not a lawyer) disclaimer in his posts

Exactly, he claims he is a paralegal. And that is a professional organization with rules and codes of ethics. This claim (that he is a professional paralegal) combined with the claim that he has Official INS interpretation for Military applications can be easily used against him.

As President Bush said, " time's up, Saddam"

I should add that we did recruit people overseas in the past. But it stoped for for a long time.

I am not sure if they stopped recruiting from abroad, but I do know they did recruit abroad. I read in the military news email I get every month, that Marine Expeditionary units were recruiting translators in Kuwait and Iraq.

Of course they need translators whenver they go into foreign places. But they are NOT (repeat NOT) enlisted. They are not official part of the military. They cannot get citizenship on the basis. So you are completely mistaken in that respect.

This shows how ignorant and stupid you really are. Diplomatic missions and military bases outside the US are not American lands for purposes of the 14th Amendment or immigration laws. They are sovereign only for purposes of international law (to confer diplomatic immunity). This difference is understood even by most high school graduates. What a dumb person.

They stopped allowing foreign persons to get citizenship long long long ago, I cannot remember the exact date, but it is somewhere after the Korean conflict.

It is NOT possible for someone in the recent past to get "enlisted" abroad and get citizenship. It just does not happen, period. So I cannot believe the stories circulated here.

I was foreign-born and watched for this sort of stuff. If it happended, I would know about it.

Originally posted by Greg Peckton

I should add that we did recruit people overseas in the past. But it stoped for for a long time.

I am not sure if they stopped recruiting from abroad, but I do know they did recruit abroad. I read in the military news email I get every month, that Marine Expeditionary units were recruiting translators in Kuwait and Iraq.

Do you have access to Commisary? On your Military ID, do have the electronic chipset or is it "plain"?

Just checking if you are real... if you are a veteran, my apologies.

American2003,

Correct me if I am wrong. I think bilateral agreements allow nationals of certain countries (Philippines, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands among them, I think) to be enlisted in the United States armed forces. Those who serve for at least 12 years can be issued a special immigrant visa upon the recommendation of the Defense Department. I further believe that they qualify for special consideration for citizenship after immigrating. Do you know anything about that?

All three countries have very special historical relationships with the United States.

What keeps me smiling at night is the groundless assertion that
"some local Iraqis serving the US marines by being the official translators. Even though are are not even GC holders, and even though they served for only 2 weeks, they can apply for immediate Citizenship (without going through the GC hassle!)".

Gilbert,

Now that you mentioned this, it sounds familiar but I do not remember the details.

Also, many soldiers from thePhilippines served in the US military during world war II. But they were not deemed qualified for naturalization, right?

Thanks for bringing the Philippines episode up. It is a long story, but the short version vividly illustrates the point. After Pearl Harbor, thousands and thousands of people in the Philippines joined the United States military and fought bravely under our command. They also badly suffered at the hands of the Japanese.

Even though the Philippines at the time were directly governed by the United States, the INS lawyers concluded that they were NOT American territory for purposes of immigration laws (and people here assert that embassies and military bases count for purposes of INA 329, how pitiful). So those people could NOT apply for citizenship, contrary to the deliberate misinformation being spread here. .

Along with Filipino-American civil rights groups, the veterans lobbied really hard. Finally in 1990 Congress passed a special law that allowed them to become citizens despite that fact that they were enlisted outside the United States. It was a time-limited exception to a general rule.

I think you have a real problem if you think I would list everything correctly in an online profile for all to see. Can you tell us personal stuff about you????????? (like when you were born and where the hell you are from?

Originally posted by JoeF
Hmm, with a Birthdate of January 2, 1972, as you listed in your profile, you've been 12 years when you enlisted...
And then, playing ping-pong with Gilbert...
Makes me wonder about certain things.

IT was part of the Immigration Act of 1990, which is on the INS website. I can look up at work the formal regulations the INS published in the FEDERAL REGISTER to implement the law and perhaps some newspaper stories on this (they should be on a database called LEXIS-NEXIS, in case you have access to that).

But people here do not even know the basic rules of Internet discussion. They want to know where you work and other personal items. They do not reveal information about themsevles, though. Not to mention that they do not cite anything to back up what they say, but resort to Mafia tactics.

Originally posted by american2003
Is there any formal documentation on the Phillippines stuff?

You are the one who is not backing up your statements. I provided links to the INS website that a high school freshman can read and understand.