Green Card.Social Security

rkark

Registered Users (C)
When I applied for change of info on my Social Security after getting GC I was not given any receipt. The officer told me that They will refer to INS and I should get a call in two to three days. Does anyone has this kind of situation? Why do they refer to INS.

No Title

That is very interesting. I did the same, went to update my SS. And the officer gave me letter stating that I\'ve applied for update of my SS on .... And the letter could be used as a proof of my ss.

You may want to call the SS office again and check with them, if they find any discrepancies in your ss.

SSA ..

SSA does that sometimes if they can\'t varify ur changed status online. They have to varify it with INS and that may take sometime. When I went for my wife\'s EAD, her information was not visible on SSA computers and they took 3 weeks to issue the card in place of usual 2 weeks.
This is normal procedure. Do not worry. it seems SSA system takes sometime to get updates from INS, specially if the case was just approved by INS.
HTH

No Title

There is a online form available in the SSA web site.

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

I filled the form and gave it to the officer (Noristown, Philly). It took her less than 2 minutes to type the same info in her comp. and print it out and asked to me sign the printed sheet. The info in the printed sheet was exactly the same as the form I had filled.

CAUTION: On the Printed Sheet the Officer asks u to sign, Check for spellings, if ur south indian and having long names take a second to check them, typo is quite common....

hope this helps...

No Title

Yes. I think it is called ss5 form. This is the same form u fill for applying a new ss card also.