Green Card renewal/revoke

yuk1200

Registered Users (C)
It is with extreme joy that I am joining this forum, after receiving notification of my I-485 approval.

I searched in the db for an answer to my question but I was not able to find it.

If I am leaving my current (and sponsoring) company within the first six months, could my GC be revoked?

You see, I am not interested in getting the US citizenship (proud italian) and I do intend to live here all the time so...could my GC be revoked for any reason?

Thx

> You see, I am not interested in getting the US citizenship
> (proud italian) and I do intend to live here all the time
> so...could my GC be revoked for any reason?

Yes, it can be revoked.
- If you leave the US for too long of a time without getting a re-entry permit.
- If you fail to pay your taxes (that often includes income earned abroad, depending on the terms of italian-american double taxation treaty)
- If you get convicted of a violent crime, drug dealing or running prostitutes
- If Ayatollah Ashcroft feels like it
- If your employer gets really p___ off and manages to convince CIS that you never intended to work for them and lied to get your GC (slim chance).

The only time I heard about the 6month thing is in regards to citizenship interviews, and even there it doesn't seem to be based on firm law.

Last edited by a moderator:
you will be surprised how time goes by and with each year you'll feel Italy is nice to visit, but not as practical to live. I would not rule out becoming a citizen in the future to make your life easier - just take care not to take trips longer then 6 mnths without appropriate paperwork.

Just a curiosity question, how could they find out if you are not going to apply for citizenship? Although theoretically there is a possibility however the chance may be less than win lotto. :p

someone's immigration status is suppose to be kept confidential with the employer

your immigration status is nobody's business but you and INS and maybe a few other government agencies.

like the other person said earlier your GC can be revoked if you commit a serious enough crime. What actually happens is that you can be given the option to not go to prison in exchange for your GC and never being able to enter the US again.

now there are certain crimes like drug smuggling and trafficking that can get you kicked out permanenty with no option.

Then there are those harsh crimes like treason or joining a military that is fighting against the US that can even strip someone of their naturalized citizenship. Of course even if you were born here and you did this you could easily get a life sentence in federal prison.

I'm glad to hear that at least someone is proud enough of his homeland to refuse US citizenship. It is a personal matter that every GC holder must wrestle with. But please keep in mind that a GC holder has almost all the same rights a US citizen has.

You are fired!

I also understand that if you are fired than the 6 months do not apply.
So all you have to do is to produce a letter from the company that shows that you have been fired at the time. Right?
Is just showing a letter enough?
Will INS do some investigation, such as calling the old employer and verifying the story?
It seems to me that a company letter is too much easy to forge.

Any experience in such a matter?

As you might understand after 5 years of waiting my GC, now that I get it, I want to leave this compnay.... :)

JoeF said:
It is not about a specific timeframe. It is about your intent at the time of becoming a PR. From http://www.murthy.com/485faq.html#13
"there is no change in the law with respect to the intention of the employer to offer and the employee to undertake "permanent," full-time work with the sponsoring employer for the job advertised. Keep in mind that a green card job offer is legally considered a future job offer. Therefore, the employee must have a good-faith intention to work for the employer after the green card is approved, and the employer must have a good-faith intention to employ the employee after the green card is approved. Even if a person had worked for the sponsoring employer for several years while pursuing the green card process, that would not count as future intent. Generally, 6 months to 1 year after obtaining the green card is a safe time period to change employment."
It could be revoked if they investigate and determine that you did not have the good-faith intent to work for the employer. Not having that intent constitutes immigration fraud, and can result in revocation of the GC, regardless if you ever apply for citizenship or not.

My employer is not paying my salary for the last couple of months. and I just got my 485 approval. I have a job offer which I am planning to accept. Do you see any red flags ???
I will appreciate your or anybody's comment

moveit-moveit said:
My employer is not paying my salary

THIS EMPLOYER HAS RENEGED ON THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EMPLOYING YOU AFTER GC APPROVAL AND IS IN ERROR. THEREFORE YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR JOB WITH NO FEAR. DO KEEP THE DOCUMENTATION.

Move-it, just listen to me daJudge, on this.

Your employer has wilfully violated the terms of your employment, regardless of other arcane issues (which could be thousands) but immaterial to this case in toto. Not that I advocate, but you have a right to seek punitive damages, let alone leaving the job and doing something better for you and your family, and getting assimilated in the US.

I would like to remind All, we do not live in United States of FEAR. Therefore and furthermore, I would like to remind you and give my expressed legal conclusion, that you have the right "to be employed in the United States at ANY legal work of your qualification and CHOOSING" http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#rights
Provided you dont commit any offence under Section 237, of Immigration and Nationality Act.

With these glad tidings as I just gave you, with your sacred rights mentioned above, I would like you to leave your job soon and seek a better future, in the United States of AMERICA

PeterPany said:
you will be surprised how time goes by and with each year you'll feel Italy is nice to visit, but not as practical to live. I would not rule out becoming a citizen in the future to make your life easier - just take care not to take trips longer then 6 mnths without appropriate paperwork.

Good points. I am a proud Canadian Citizen, but I also have an EEC Passport (UK) due to my ancestry. I plan to apply for USC with my wife in five years. Our daughters are already USC, but we have applied for UK and Canadian Citizenship cards for them.

In a modern world and global economy, it's all about choices. My daughters may want to move to Europe to study or work when they are old enough, my wife and I may want to retire in Canada or Europe.

But wherever we are living, we would like to enjoy full rights and participation in the democratic process.

To the best of my knowledge, you don't have to officially renounce Italian citizenship to acquire USC...?

daJudge said:
Move-it, just listen to me daJudge, on this.

Your employer has wilfully violated the terms of your employment, regardless of other arcane issues (which could be thousands) but immaterial to this case in toto. Not that I advocate, but you have a right to seek punitive damages, let alone leaving the job and doing something better for you and your family, and getting assimilated in the US.

I would like to remind All, we do not live in United States of FEAR. Therefore and furthermore, I would like to remind you and give my expressed legal conclusion, that you have the right "to be employed in the United States at ANY legal work of your qualification and CHOOSING" http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#rights
Provided you dont commit any offence under Section 237, of Immigration and Nationality Act.

With these glad tidings as I just gave you, with your sacred rights mentioned above, I would like you to leave your job soon and seek a better future, in the United States of AMERICA

Thanks daJudge, JoeF fro youo comments.
Even though I want to stay with my employer as a gesture of gratitude, I cant sit at home and wait for him to find me work and not get paid . I have no choice but to quit, now that I already have an offer.

On top of this he owes me 15K+ from my previous assaignments. I made up my mind to make him cough-up all my dues. I will spend another 15K to make him do this, so he will think twice before he does the same to other employees.
I have already done some research on formal DOL compiant/sue process.
I WILL NOT LET THIS &#%@*! GET AWAY WITH THIS.

Let this be a motivation for other employees ana a deterrent to other Employers.

Cheers

JoeF said:
I don't know about that, but there are quite a lot of countries that revoke your citizenship automatically if you acquire another one.

Indeed there are, but Canada and the United Kingdom are not two of them. If the UK does not, then I was speculating the same might hold true of other EEC countries. A quick check of the respective embassy web site(s) would probably tell.

yuk1200 said:
It is with extreme joy that I am joining this forum, after receiving notification of my I-485 approval.

I searched in the db for an answer to my question but I was not able to find it.

If I am leaving my current (and sponsoring) company within the first six months, could my GC be revoked?

You see, I am not interested in getting the US citizenship (proud italian) and I do intend to live here all the time so...could my GC be revoked for any reason?

Thx

you have two options.

1) enjoy your green card like most of the dumbs.
2) research the immigration law to figure out how you can be deported, and
then worry about it in the rest of your life

If you choose option 2) i can help you to figure out some other situations under which you will be deported. e.g.

a) did you report your address WITHIN 10 days every time after you moved to
a new place? if not, you are DEPORTABLE
b) did you pay tax for a gift you receive from your friends, or did you pay
tax for a gift that you give to your friends? if not, technically, you are
DEPORTABLE (trust me, there are many ways that cis can figure this out.
your friend can complain to cis, you wife can report to cis, a jealous
colleague can call cis, blah, blah, blah ...)
c) oh, never get a speed ticket. you are DEPORTABLE.
d) if you are under 26, and you did not register to the american Arm forces,
(you may be selected to serve the military if us reinstates the draft) you
are DEPORTABLE.
e) did you get a promotion or salary increase during the process of your
green card? if so, technically you are committing a fraud and DEPORTABLE.

some people choose to live under fear, and spread out his/her fear. but make your own choice.

JoeF said:
Ignorance of the law doesn't prevent punishment... That's a main principle of Western society.
i am afraid that most of folks here are from Eastern society...

So, it is the best to know about the law so that you can manage the risks. This has of course nothing to do with fear. It is all about being able to manage the risks.
[\QUOTE]

you don't need to "manage the risks" when there are no risks.

(and he is chicken enough to not attack me directly, but rather implying things...)[\QUOTE]

i am the first one in this forum to say that "you are annoying". you get to give me some credit for that :)

Just ignore him.

why didn't you? you are kicking your own ass.

JoeF said:
Ignorance of the law doesn't prevent punishment... That's a main principle of Western society..

i am afraid that most of folks here are from Eastern society...

JoeF said:
So, it is the best to know about the law so that you can manage the risks. This has of course nothing to do with fear. It is all about being able to manage the risks..

you don't need to "manage the risks" when there are no risks.

JoeF said:
People like zyu just like to live dangerously (and he is chicken enough to not attack me directly, but rather implying things...) .
i am the first one in this forum to said that "you are annoying". you get to give me some credit for that

JoeF said:
Just ignore him.

why didn't you? you are kicking your own ass.

JoeF said:
That doesn't matter as in the US, US law is what matters. And last I looked, the US was a Western country...
The rest of your comment shows that you are an immature child. Grow up.

i agree. but i am afraid a person who likes to argue with an immature child

???

JoeF said:
That doesn't matter as in the US, US law is what matters. And last I looked, the US was a Western country...
The rest of your comment shows that you are an immature child. Grow up.

I am posting it again..... my previous reply was not showing up :( Is JoeF is moderator??? :rolleyes:

Why don't you just shut up or be polite. I have seen you starting war of words with dsfg2000 and many more ,few months back and those guys ended up being banned. Its your turn now. You have exhausted after trillion posts and now its time for you to retire. Stop scaring prople with some legalities. What everybody needs here is practical experience/advice not some legal junk to scare them off. Its simple immigration NOT A rocket science :eek: :eek: :eek:

ORDER ... diversity in opinion is healthy, and conflicting ideas restore the balance, enabling one to take prudent decisions. :D

daJudge said:
ORDER ... diversity in opinion is healthy, and conflicting ideas restore the balance, enabling one to take prudent decisions. :D

Exactly....Not just what one guy think or prefers to think is right. And if somebody think otherwise, be respectful to his opinion . JoeF , you have something to learn on this aspect apart from complexities of legalities of immigration law. :D :D