Green Card Problems??

akshtray

Registered Users (C)
Hello:

I am an Indian citizen currently based and working in Connecticut, USA. I am going to get married in the first week of January and need to make sure that I go about filing all the required paperwork in the correct order (my fiancee is an American Citizen). Can anyone please assist me with my questions:

I was recently reading about the sponsor being 125% over the poverty line. This going to be a problem in my case as I make majority of the wages in the household. We have been living together for over 3 years and I have been working full-time for around 2 years. I make over 35K a year whereas she makes around 10K (working part-time as she takes care of the house). Is there going to be a problem when we get married and she files for my Green Card.

Please provide any suggestions and advice as to how we can go about resolving this issue (if it is going to be a problem that is).

Thank You.

Akshtray

Aww comeon ..

Someone must know the answer to this question. Can I use my own income to supplement the Application for my becoming a Permanent Resident. I have lived in the same house with her for over 2 years and have paid for the rent as well. As per the site:

http://travel.state.gov/i864gen.html

Can applicant's ongoing income be counted?

Under certain circumstances, yes. The applicant must have lived in the sponsor's household for six months before the completion of the Affidavit of Support. The applicant must show that the income will continue after he/she takes up residence in the United States.

I have lived with her for more than 6 months and also have had a steady job for almost 2 years in the USA.

Do I even need to have my fiancee file the I-864? I have very little time to get all this ready and will sincerely appreciate and help that can be provided to me to aid my application for the same.

Thank You.

Akshtray

Your wife absolutely must file I-864 (even if her income is below 125% of the poverty line).
If you have lived with her for more than 6 months then you can file an I-864A along with her I-864 and if your income suffices then you do not need any other joint sponsor.

Thanks Helpmeimmi:

That solves my problem I guess. Because I have lived with her for over 1 year and also our incomes combined will be definitely enough to take us over 125% of the poverty line.

So I guess she files the I-864 and I file the I-864A and we should be all set.

Thanks once more.

Akshtray