Green card Name change

cpchennai

Hi Guys ,

My name in Green card (Plastic) is confused with my dad's name. I guess persons from Indian Origin could see what i m talking about. We have to expand our Initials in our Surname column in our passport , this got me into trouble . I m trying to change my name ( as per my birth cert) do you guys have any advice on What Form should i apply ? How long this is taking nowadays and How hard it is do by ourself ?

Regards
cpchennai

If your name does not match your ID or Passport, you have to go your local court and change your name there. After you get the documents from them, go to your local INS. They will then direct you. If it matches your ID or Passport, then just take that to the INS office.

I'm in the same situation.
My full name in passport is 'A B C D E'
A = last name
B,C,E = middle names
D = first name
Name on my green card is 'D A' which is correct
I'd like to change the name on my passport to 'D A'.
Please advise what exactly is the procedure.

Well, this what I did to change my name, everywhere.

First I went to the local civil court and applied for change of name. They gave an appointment to appear in the court to swear in front of the Judge and after that they gave me a document showing my name change. I then submitted it to the local newspaper for advertisement and also had it advertised in local newspaper in India. This is required for the name change to be done on a passport. They will ask for the advertisement cut-outs along with the copy of court document. After the name change I sent the court document to all my credit cards and also changed in my driver license using the same document.

Hope this helps. This procedure should be the same for GC also.

You can even go through a lawyer, some of whom take up this name change cases also.

My case is somewhat similar to pdwaiter's.

My name on the passport is A B C

A = middle name,
B = last name
C = First name

But when I applied for Social Security card, ID, bank accounts, EAD,GC,etc, I applied with my name as C A B. Once when I went to get my EAD, the INS officer wanted to know why my name on passport was different from the name on my EAD application - she went and asked another person and she said it was ok. I didn't have any problem getting my passport stamped for I-551...

I think the best thing would be to change the name on the passport. I'm planning to apply for name correction on my passport when it expires next year.

TheWho