Green Card Holder Entering JFK or Other POE

aaron13

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone, I have read reports that starting August 2017, POE implements stricter rules on entering non-citizens, including green card holders. My previous experience entering JFK is that Officers typically dont ask too many questions, at most, they will ask how long have you been out. If you stayed outside for less than 6 months, they are OK with it. Now the report says that Officer will ask how long did you stay in the US and questions like that. For many people who come back to the US 2-3 times a year and stay for a few weeks, this can be a problem.

Do green card holders have recent experience entering POE(such as JFK)? Please share your experience here. Is it true that POEs are implementing stricter rules on green card holders? Thanks.

For many people who come back to the US 2-3 times a year and stay for a few weeks, this can be a problem.

It can and it should indeed create a problem for such people. The US GC is intended for living and working in the US on a permanent basis. It is not a super visa for holders to use in flying in, two to three times a year, for the purpose of staying for a couple of weeks.

I came into JFK in 2014 after 5 months out the USA and got grilled pretty well about my intentions, long before anyone even thought about the current administration. So I'd say never take for granted at any stage that under 6 months is easy/they don't really question you.

If I understand you correctly (the same way that sm1smom does in her response), you are not actually properly resident in the US anyway so I think you actually should expect questioning and potential issues. If I misunderstood and what you meant is that you only spend a few weeks abroad 2-3 times a year, that shouldn't be a problem as you should easily be able to demonstrate proper residence in the US.

I came into JFK in 2014 after 5 months out the USA and got grilled pretty well about my intentions, long before anyone even thought about the current administration. So I'd say never take for granted at any stage that under 6 months is easy/they don't really question you.

If I understand you correctly (the same way that sm1smom does in her response), you are not actually properly resident in the US anyway so I think you actually should expect questioning and potential issues. If I misunderstood and what you meant is that you only spend a few weeks abroad 2-3 times a year, that shouldn't be a problem as you should easily be able to demonstrate proper residence in the US.

Nope, you didn't misunderstand the OP's post. He's been coming into the US to spend a couple of weeks for the purpose of maintaining his GC since it got issued back in 07:

I flew back to the US via JFK POE as I always do after 4 months of absence. Usually JFK POE is very easy and no questions asked ... I travel back from overseas twice a year via JFK and no questions asked during the last 10 entries.

Green Card = permanent residence.
The sooner a GC holder realizes that, the better off they'd be. Majority of time spent in the US, with a short duration outside when necessary. Not the other way around.