Green Card Holder, Divorce

andryuxa1985

Registered Users (C)
Hello
I have a green card. I've been married, my wife applied for green card too, but now we divorced.
We have been married less than two years.
Should I notify an immigration services about that? Or that's something, that she should carry about?
Just don't want that this situation will affect my status, i'm planning to apply for citezenship soon.

Thank you

You’re not required to inform USCIS of your divorce. If your currently has a conditional GC, she gets to deal with the removal of conditions on her own, nothing to do with you going forward.

Thank you
So basically after the divorce, she can't stay in US and needs to leave?
Nobody said that. You have not provided enough information to determine whether she can stay. But whatever the case, her status and whether she stays is between her and the government. It is no longer your concern.

Thank you, guys.
My concern is I-864 form, Affidavit of support.
It says: "Provide..... an income that is at least 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines". and "Divorce does not terminate your obligations under form I-864"

Yes, that is correct. Your I-864 obligations to her are not terminated by divorce. The I-864 is a contract you signed with the US government indicating your readiness to provide for and support the immigrant you’re bringing into the country to ensure they do not become a public charge. These obligations ends when either the sponsored person earns 40 work quarters credited toward Social Security (approximately ten years of work), or becomes a U.S. citizen, or dies, or permanently leaves the United States. Being divorced does not mean they have to leave the US in order to absolve the sponsor of the I-864 obligations.

Yes, temporary one, for two years
Like I posted earlier, she can remove the conditions on her 2 year GC with a waiver. She does not need to depart from the US simply because the marriage did not work out and she’s now divorced.