Green Card has my maiden name

SJOrl

Registered Users (C)
I just received my green card. However, I realized that it has my maiden name plus my married last name on it. My maiden name should not appear on the card. For example, my name is supposed to be: Lee, Mary Jane. But on the green card shows: Lee, Mary Jane S - at the bottom of the green card shows: LEE<<MARY,Jane<Smith

I wonder it could be the person that interviewed me made a mistake. First, she put a stamp on my passport and wrote my name using my maiden name (no married last name). Then I corrected her by telling her that I changed my last name to my husband last name. Then she appended my husband last name on the passport. Then I told her to remember to cross my maiden last name on the form. But I did not double verify with her.

Now What should I do? I also received 7 Welcome Notice (I-797) letters from the INS. 2 out of 7 notices have my correct name without the maiden name. Why did I receive so many welcome notices? Can anyone please give me some advice? Do I have to correct my name? How much would that cost me?

Call the number in welcome letter explain the problem. They will ask you to fax the letter requesting correction. They will give you the fax number. Even when you do this your actual card( when it arrives) may have error. If it has error, you have to file I-90 and has to go for finger printing to any of the local office near by. You can keep error card with you and use it till you get the corrected card.

Hope it helps

thanks

raj

rajsiddappa said:
Call the number in welcome letter explain the problem.
----------- they give I-800 NCSC and they cant help and inform her to file I-90
They will ask you to fax the letter requesting correction.
--------------- they dont ask you to fax the letter for correction
They will give you the fax number. Even when you do this your actual card( when it arrives) may have error.
-------------- she has recieved the card with incorrect info printed on it
If it has error, you have to file I-90 and has to go for finger printing to any of the local office near by.
------------------ Local USCIS office will NOT accept I-90 form now and they will not take her I-90 form
You can keep error card with you and use it till you get the corrected card.
------------------------- what she need to do:

1.go to USCIS site download the form I-90
2 fill up the form I-90 (tick USCIS error)
3 attach $70 fees
4 send the I-90 form with $70 to LA Lockbox address ( that is on Instructions of I-90 form)
5 LA lockbox will send you I-90 filing reciept in I0-15 days after they get your I-90
6 you will get other letter to go for Biomatrics to nearest ASC, they will take your photographs, fingerprint for the new Card and at this time they will Take the CARD that has incorrect info on it. you need to take passport, Driving licence or state ID or any EAD copy or AP copy or any USCIS reciept that has your correct name on it.

She does not have to pay $ 70, because it is error by DHS.

Yes she has to file I-90 through USCIS.gov

She has to get appointment in local offcie for biometrics.

They will not take her old card.

I know this because I did this 2 months ago

Thanks

raj

rajsiddappa said:
------------------ the rules have changed, even if it is USCIS mistake she needs to send $70 as biomatric fees ( read the I-90 form instruction from USCIS site)
-------------------- she has to Efile or send I-90 to La Lock box address
-------------- NOT local USCIS office she will be informed about her Biomatrics appointment with local ASC (not local USCIS)
-------------- when she goes to local ASC for her photograph and fingerprints to be taken they WILL take her old Card
----------------- 2 months back rule for I-90 filing was diffrent, they have changed it. In the past one can go to Local USCIS and file I-90 if USCIS mistake no fees or $185 fee. now if USCIS mistake $70 fees, if not USCIS mistake then $185+$70

Thanks

raj

Ginnu is correct. everything re:I-90 is changed recently. Last month I mailed I-90 without $70 fees and they returned it. I said damn it!! USCIS made mistake and I've to pay!! I was under impression that as I've got card with incorrect info due to USCIS mistake, I don't need to send any fees. But now rules changed and it's there on new version of I-90.

rajsiddappa said:

Thanks

raj

SJOrl said:
I just received my green card. However, I realized that it has my maiden name plus my married last name on it. My maiden name should not appear on the card. For example, my name is supposed to be: Lee, Mary Jane. But on the green card shows: Lee, Mary Jane S - at the bottom of the green card shows: LEE<<MARY,Jane<Smith

I wonder it could be the person that interviewed me made a mistake. First, she put a stamp on my passport and wrote my name using my maiden name (no married last name). Then I corrected her by telling her that I changed my last name to my husband last name. Then she appended my husband last name on the passport. Then I told her to remember to cross my maiden last name on the form. But I did not double verify with her.

Now What should I do? I also received 7 Welcome Notice (I-797) letters from the INS. 2 out of 7 notices have my correct name without the maiden name. Why did I receive so many welcome notices? Can anyone please give me some advice? Do I have to correct my name? How much would that cost me?

I had a similar problem. This is what I did.
I called the number on welcome notice. They asked me to fill up I-90.
I went to uscis.gov. Filled I-90 online and submitted. I was expempted from $70 fees.
Then I called the number on welcome notice to biometrics appointment. You can choose whaever place you want which is closer.
I went there They took my photos and finger prints.
Your corrected card will come in 3 to 6 months.

If you have any specific procedural question you can email me directly

rajsddappa@hotmail.com

rajsiddappa said:
I had a similar problem. This is what I did.
I called the number on welcome notice. They asked me to fill up I-90.
I went to uscis.gov. Filled I-90 online and submitted. I was expempted from $70 fees.
Then I called the number on welcome notice to biometrics appointment. You can choose whaever place you want which is closer.
I went there They took my photos and finger prints.
Your corrected card will come in 3 to 6 months.

If you have any specific procedural question you can email me directly

rajsddappa@hotmail.com

------------- dear, you filed I-90 before they changed to new procedure, now one has to send I-90 to La lock box or Efile. now the fees is $70 if USCIS mistake and $185+70 if NOT USCIS mistake. download the I-90 form from USCIS site and read the instructions:
new info for I-90 on USCIS site:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-90.htm

http://uscis.gov/graphics/
http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/newsrels/PRLockbox052505.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
adibazz said:
Ginnu is correct. everything re:I-90 is changed recently. Last month I mailed I-90 without $70 fees and they returned it. I said damn it!! USCIS made mistake and I've to pay!! I was under impression that as I've got card with incorrect info due to USCIS mistake, I don't need to send any fees. But now rules changed and it's there on new version of I-90.
------------ for others update with new procedure could you update the thread:
1 when did you again sent I-90 with $70 fees to LA lock box address.
2 did you get filing reciept?
3 did you get NOA to go for Biomatrics with ASC

This is the point.

you have to file I-90. Efile is easy. For fee you have to follow current fee schedule.

If you want LA lock box, that should as good may delay the process by 2 weeks.

As soon as you Efile you will get receipt with LIN #. In my case I chose the local office for biometrics which had the earliest appointment. They said I can keep old card till I get corrected card.

It is not a big deal File I-90 and wait for corrected card. Time you get corrected card will vary depending on service center. Check processing times for service centers

This forum is to share experiences not to make it personal or to prove who is right or wrong

regards

Raj

1. Filled again on 08/02 with $70 fees to LA lock box. (first time filed to LA lock box on 07/06 without any fees and got it returned with an instruction to file with $70 fees). I tried to efile first but keep on getting zipcode mismatch error and finally gave up.
2. No reciept yet. obviously it's only two days since I filed. :)
3. will update the forum as soon as I get it. But I guess it will take some time.

ginnu said:
------------ for others update with new procedure could you update the thread:
1 when did you again sent I-90 with $70 fees to LA lock box address.
2 did you get filing reciept?
3 did you get NOA to go for Biomatrics with ASC

No one is trying to prove you wrong dear friend. Whatever you said about your experience might be correct but as you said it was 2 months back and this procedure got changed from June onwards. Of course you can still e-file which is definitely quicker than snail mail BUT now one has to pay $70 fee even if its USCIS mistake.

rajsiddappa said:
This is the point.

you have to file I-90. Efile is easy. For fee you have to follow current fee schedule.

If you want LA lock box, that should as good may delay the process by 2 weeks.

As soon as you Efile you will get receipt with LIN #. In my case I chose the local office for biometrics which had the earliest appointment. They said I can keep old card till I get corrected card.

It is not a big deal File I-90 and wait for corrected card. Time you get corrected card will vary depending on service center. Check processing times for service centers

This forum is to share experiences not to make it personal or to prove who is right or wrong

regards

Raj