Green Card has 2 year expiration, even though PR not conditional - Normal???

jckii

Registered Users (C)
I recently had my interview, which went just fine (in and out in 10 minutes) - and at the end of it the official informed me that I was approved for Permanent Residence, no restructions of 2-year conditional period, since we had already been married for more than 2 years. However, I have now received my GC in the mail and it's only valid for 2 years, with instructions to renew it before it expires. Is this normal, or do I need to call and have them correct this?

Thanks to all.

jckii said:
I recently had my interview, which went just fine (in and out in 10 minutes) - and at the end of it the official informed me that I was approved for Permanent Residence, no restructions of 2-year conditional period, since we had already been married for more than 2 years. However, I have now received my GC in the mail and it's only valid for 2 years, with instructions to renew it before it expires. Is this normal, or do I need to call and have them correct this?

Thanks to all.

What category does it say ?

Also,

I would appreciate if you can comment on following.

Today I was looking closely at my new "Permanent Resident Card" just to make sure that all info are correct and strangely I have noticed that back of the card is upside down(Like that pre-printed back to back INS application forms) i.e. "Topside of the front" is the "bottom side" of back & vice-versa. Is it w/everybody who has GC or they made a mistake in inserting my card while printing?

Thank You,

After reading your post I checked my Permanent Resident Card and is looks just like yours, the back is upside down; probable this is the way is should look, and when you just flip the front the back comes right!

edh said:
After reading your post I checked my Permanent Resident Card and is looks just like yours, the back is upside down; probable this is the way is should look, and when you just flip the front the back comes right!

Thank You,

It gives me relief.

I appreciate that.

Status is CR6 - does this mean "Conditional"?

SAP,

My GC category says CR6. What does this mean? I suspect CR stands for Conditional Resident - but hope not. Any info much appreciated, my status is certainly NOT supposed to be "conditional" since we've been married more than 2 years.

I can confirm that my GC appears to be "upside-down" like yours. I think this is how they do it.

jckii said:
SAP,

My GC category says CR6. What does this mean? I suspect CR stands for Conditional Resident - but hope not. Any info much appreciated, my status is certainly NOT supposed to be "conditional" since we've been married more than 2 years.

I can confirm that my GC appears to be "upside-down" like yours. I think this is how they do it.

Thank you,

CR6 is Conditional Resident. You should have IR6. If you were stamped at the interview check, whether officer has mentioned any category w/Stamp?

I would say make InfoPass appt & visit your local office. If it is too far, you can call customer service. but I would say it is worth going to local office & fix the error personally. Before going just make sure that the "Residence since" is the date you bacame permanent resident, and on that day/date your marriage should be 2 years old.

sap12452003 said:
Thank you,

CR6 is Conditional Resident. You should have IR6. If you were stamped at the interview check, whether officer has mentioned any category w/Stamp?

I would say make InfoPass appt & visit your local office. If it is too far, you can call customer service. but I would say it is worth going to local office & fix the error personally. Before going just make sure that the "Residence since" is the date you bacame permanent resident, and on that day/date your marriage should be 2 years old.

Thanks SAP - I actually called customer service and they told me to send in the GC with form I-90, along with a cover letter, marrige cert and copy of the temp stamp in my passport verifying the date of my PR. Here's the kicker though - I checked the temp stamp, and the date is WRONG! It says 2007 instead of 2005...can't believe I didn't notice this right after the interview. Must have been the excitement. Well, at least the actual GC has the correct "resident since" date on it, plus I have a copy of the interview notice for added proof of the date, and my marriage cert (notarized) proves that the marriage was more than 2 years old on that date, so hopefully all will be OK. Anyway I'm taking your advice, seems sensible, and I have an Infopass appointment to try to straighten things out on Friday. I'll report back on what happens, I suspect I will still have to send it back to the NBC with an I-90 app for a new card. Thanks again!

sap12452003 said:
Thank you,

Thanks SAP. The officer very clearly stated that I was being approved for a 10 year card at the interview, for indefinite PR status, since we had been married more than 2 years. So it seems like an admin error somewhere else - I actually called customer service and they told me to send in the GC with form I-90, along with a cover letter, marrige cert and copy of the temp stamp in my passport verifying the date of my PR. Here's the kicker though - I checked the temp stamp, and the date is WRONG! It says 2007 instead of 2005...can't believe I didn't notice this right after the interview. Must have been the excitement. Well, at least the actual GC has the correct "resident since" date on it, plus I have a copy of the interview notice for added proof of the date, and my marriage cert (notarized) proves that the marriage was more than 2 years old on that date, so hopefully all will be OK. Anyway I'm taking your advice, seems sensible, and I have an Infopass appointment to try to straighten things out on Friday. I'll report back on what happens, I suspect I will still have to send it back to the NBC with an I-90 app for a new card. Thanks again!

hi! so what happened after you had that appointment with the immigration officer? did he advise you on I-90? was there really a USCIS administrative error? thanks