Green card for in-laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

gondi

Registered Users (C)
I have received my GC and my husband's 485 has been pending for past 2 yrs. He is a derivative applicant. Its been almost 2 yrs that I have had my GC. My In-laws are going to visit this year sometime and they again plan to come after 2-3 yrs. I want to know if its possible for me to apply for their PR once I become a citizen in 3 yrs ? Can a daughter in law sponsor her husband's parents a green card ??

Thanks
Husband's WAS-02-091

Off the top of my head, no! You might want to ping the other senior members like BitterMan and PCee.

If I remember the rules right, it is only immediate relatives, so while your husband can sponsor his parents, you cannot.

But going by what INS is saying, your husband should get his approval sometime this year, in which case, right after you get your citizenship, he can apply for his after waiting only 3 years as compared to your 5, thanks to be being married to an American Citizen. So he should be able to sponsor his own parents easily!

Thanks for the reply...Well one question..How come my husband can sponsor his parents after 3 yrs being on GC ?? Even though he would be married to Citizen after 3 yrs from now ...he still has to be on his GC for 5 yrs right ? Or r u suggesting that after I become citizen I again file for "something " for him ?? Can you pls clear my understanding ??

Thanks a lot

Yeah..that means he has to wait for 5 yrs after "His" approval of 485 right ?? I didnt understand y 140_takes_forever said that he can file for his parents after 3 yrs ?

Spouse of American citizen can apply for citizenship 3 years after getting GC.

1. You get Citizenship in 3 years.
2. If your spouse gets his green card this year, based upon your citizenship he can apply for his citizenship since 3 years will have elapsed from the time he got his citizenship.
3. After Naturalization, he can apply for his parent's GC.

wow
That made sense ..Thanks a lot for explaination !!
I didnt know that spouse of citizen can apply for Citizenship after holding GC for 3 yrs ...I was thinking that this can only happen when primary is already a citizen ..then the spouse GC is a conditional GC and can apply for citizenship in 3 yrs. I didnt know that even employment GC can turn into something like this when there a 2 yrs gap between the approval time of Primary n derivative !!

Good one !

gondi,

God bless you for wanting to sponsor your in-laws!
You are indeed a gondi (pun intended).
Peace be with you.

Phoenix Saint.

Thanks a lot PhoenixSaint.

Why is it considered so different if a daughter in law wants to sponsor her in-laws ??

Gondi,

it works either ways .. A guy runs even farther from in-laws ... nothing to do with the gender .. just the key word is "IN-LAWS" ..

Sure .. ?? :D Is that your final answer ??? :D :D

SPAM: spnsoring gundi's inlaws ..

140 .. is right ..

we can take it outside (rather inside) and get acquainted about our genders ... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.