Green card for Child born outside USA

Murugan Pachaiyappan

Registered Users (C)
Myself & my wife got our Green card in 2002. After that we moved to India by applying Re-entry permit. Mean time we got our baby boy in India. Now he is 7 months old.

Since our reentry permit is not approved yet, we are thinking of visiting USA in next month to maintain our GC status. That time we are thinking of bringing our son to USA to get Green Card.

Can anyone suggest what is the exact procedure to get Green Card for my son ???

Thanks,
-Murugs.

Its very simple. If the baby is born outside US to GC holders, then if the baby comes back to US along with the first trip of parents back to US, then they will give the baby permanent residency at the ariport. This can be done in first 2 yrs of baby's birth the catch being that the baby has to be accompanied back in the FIRST trip back.

If you miss it, then you are doomed for long...

goodluck

Should I go to INS office ???

Thanks folks for the reply.!! When I consulted with American consulate chennai, they gave the following reply:

Your child will not require an immigrant visa to enter the United States provided the following conditions are met:
· The child must have a separate passport and a birth certificate from the Corporation, Municipality or a Registrar of Births and Deaths. Hospital records are not adequate.
· The Child must accompany the immigrant mother (or the father) upon her/his first return to the United States following the birth of child. The child must be under the age of two years.
· The immigrant mother (or the father) must have a valid Form I-551 or I-151, Alien Registration Receipt Card (better known a Green Card) or Form I-327 (permit to Re-enter the United States) valid for two years from the date of issue.

If you meet the above requirements your child may accompany you to the United States without a visa.
Following your admission you should, however, contact the nearest office of the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

My question is does anyone had similar issue? In that case, what kind of form / fees applicable? Should I file a re-entry permit for my son when I am returning back?

-Murugs.

Your questions on a re-entry permit for your son would be best answered by a Local INS rep when you go to the district office.

The US Embassy in your home country will issue a "Baby Letter". I am not sure how it looks, but I had asked them sometime back. They require the baby's birth certificate and some other documents. As always check with the US Embassy.

I would imagine the Baby would require a re-entry permit if you plan to keep it outsied the USA for more than an year. Since your baby will get a Green Card, it should follow the rules laid down for a Green Card holder. As always check with INS.

Hope this helps,
skcool