Green card expired

nettlestoo

My green card is expired (10 yr) and I just e-filed an I-90 form for renewal. In the meantime, I need to apply for medicaid, but have no valid proof of residency. I do not have a passport. Can I apply for a passport w/out a valid (unexpired) green card? If so, would I apply for a US or a Canadian passport? Is there any other way to prove my permanent residency to obtain the gov. health benefits?

As far as I know, an expired GC doesn't invalidate your PR status. You are still a valid PR and I think the government official should be aware of that.

Can I apply for a passport w/out a valid (unexpired) green card? If so, would I apply for a US or a Canadian passport? Is there any other way to prove my permanent residency to obtain the gov. health benefits?

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can download the passport application forms from the Canadian Consulate Web site and furnish the supporting documentation to obtain a Canadian passport. (Though a Canadian passport will not entitle you to US Citizen benefits).

To obtain a US Passport you must file an application for - and obtain - US citizenship first. The forms can be found on the USCIS Web site.

You are still a legal permanent residence. The expiration of your card does not remove your status. Apple for the renewal immediately.