Green card at POE

kamboi

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone have an idea, that when the GC is swiped upon one's return to the US, what shows up on the screen infront of the IO. is is just the vital info, like name, DOB, A#, etc... so it proves that it is a genuine card and not fake, or does your entire file pops up.

I guess only the very basic info pops up at first like name, A#, photo, etc. If the inspector feels the need to look into your history he/she can do it from his/her desk. On the average the inspector spends less than 1 minute with each traveller (with GC or US passport) and it is not practical to clutter his computer screen with pages and pages of your immigration history.

nkm-oct23 said:
I guess only the very basic info pops up at first like name, A#, photo, etc. If the inspector feels the need to look into your history he/she can do it from his/her desk. On the average the inspector spends less than 1 minute with each traveller (with GC or US passport) and it is not practical to clutter his computer screen with pages and pages of your immigration history.
nkm-oct23,
I am not sure if the information you are providing is true. I had a police officer stopping me for speeding last week. He stepped out of his car and asked me to join him in his car while writing the ticket. He asked me for my driver's liscence. When he pulled my information in his computer, I was shocked. I saw all my personal information including my date of arrival to the US, the board of entry and my current status. Beleieve it or not? My advice to every body is be very careful. This is not the same US that you guys used to know

nkm-oct23,
I am not sure if the information you are providing is true. I had a police officer stopping me for speeding last week. He stepped out of his car and asked me to join him in his car while writing the ticket. He asked me for my driver's liscence. When he pulled my information in his computer, I was shocked. I saw all my personal information including my date of arrival to the US, the board of entry and my current status. Beleieve it or not? My advice to every body is be very careful. This is not the same US that you guys used to know

WOW!!! It is really SHOCKING!

]I am confused..why would an officer bring you to his car? By Law, an officer isn't allowed to bring a defendant in his car...please make sure it wasn't a dream..?

A police office never asks a suspect to join him in his car(unless you are handcuffed and arrested) and view history in front of him. Thats pretty silly..

Hey guys,

i am sure the police can view at least the current immigration status on their screen.

When i got my asylum approved i went to get a new Drivers license. I had a valid one from another state. So i gave them the old DL and the lady pulled out my info by typing DL number.

Then I showed them the approval letter and I-94 with "Asylum Granted" stamp on it. And i saw that lady typing "indefinite asylum" on her screen. She typed more but that was the only thing i could see.

So i am sure if a cop stops you, he can view your immigration status just by typing your DL number. If their systems (USCIS and DOT) are connected or linked so then i guess police can view the whole the info including arrival date and etc.

Although I'm not sure if the Police have access to date of entry to USA and point of entry, it is certain some States have given their Police force access to immigration records.

Some states - post 9/11 - have elected to institute a Legal Presence proof for all citizens of the state to present when applying for State IDs, Driver Permits, and DLs. So, it is no surprise that the status of the individuals will be entered into the DMVs database and accessed by the Police.

As far as I know, the Police does not have any jurisdiction over immigration based crimes/issues. Meaning that if someone - for example - was arrested for possession of marijuana, the Police would charge them for possession under the State Law (a crime), and the INS would have jurisdiction to charge the individual for any Immigration crimes. By the way, if you are a greencard holder, you can lose your GC if charged with such a crime. But again, only INS can initiate that - not the local Police. In this case, there are 2 ways the INS will get notified of the crime - 1) the local Police forwards them the information or 2) the individual leaves the USA and comes back and the info comes up when the GC is swiped.

You have to keep in mind that the A-# and the SSN are now linked to the immigration/DMV/SSA databases in almost all states. So all records and convictions come up for INS.