Green Card Approved and Switching Jobs

jollyguy

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone.

I have been approved a few weeks back and had updated that on the site. I was looking to switch my job a few weeks back and went to India. Before I actually took my final decision and while I was in India my 485 got approved.

Looked in the forum seems everyone said wait 6 months before switching. I am sure there is some basis for everyone saying this but I could not find anything concrete. Is there any provision that specifies this (not that the fact that you should work 6 months but indefinately).

Asked my lawyer the question and this is her response.

Question:
I was made to believe that once the AOS has been approved I would need to stay with my employer (whoever I may be working with at the time of AOS approval) for 6 months to 1 year once my AOS has been approved else the USCIS may consider that I got my GC fraudulently. As I understand from a couple of my friends who were advised by their attorney the provisions of the 485 state that “intent” is to work with the employer indefinitely and if I were to work less than at least 6 months my “intent” was never to work for my employer indefinitely.

The issue seems to be that during naturalization/GC renewal the USCIS may constitute this to be a fraud on my part and reject my case. I want to be sure if there is any such issue before I proceed with my next steps.

Answer:
Certaintly if you never had any intent to work for the current employer when you were going through the AOS process you have a problem. Based on your communications with our office, however, we do not understand this to be the case. The law specifically allows persons to change employers 180 days into the AOS process. A similar legal analysis should also apply after the AOS case is completed. Since the case is already completed and no longer pending there is no open record to update with a supplemental filing. As you may know, all legal determinations are made on a case by case basis. Your friend's or friend's attorney's comments are not relevant to our determination.

Answer from the superior of the person who gave the above response:

Yes, I agree with xxxx – it is safe for you to change jobs at this time. There is no exact period of time after approval of the I-485 during which you must remain with the petitioning employer. The scenario you mention below (waiting for 6 months to one year after approval) used to be advisable, because of the intent issue. However, what you intend is of course subjective and open to interpretation. Further, AC-21 has made this much less of a concern – the whole point of that legislation was to keep foreign nationals from being treated like indentured servants – essentially tied to an employer forever because of the green card.

What do you all think about this? I am sure this can be a comprehensive thread for this issue as I am sure most people face this dilema

Even I heard similar views man.
Most of them (almost all of them) advice me too not to change before the safe period (6 months to 1 year)
But i am also changing my jobs just after 3 1/2 months.
First of all this GC is valid for 10 years. Who knows what is going to happen then?
Second of all I never heard of any one got busted doing this.
I know few people have alredy done that.

First of all this question doesnt come under this forum.
If you browse this forum you would know that People in this form are least
bothered and dont have luxary to think about planing the carrier like you.

I dont think you need to ask this question, it is pretty obvious that
the law says after 180 days of 485 filing you can change any number of jobs.

I am sure you are aware of this. Common sence says that
there would not be another law which says "because your 485 is approved
pls. stop changing jobs"

I hear the same

I've heard the same thing too. That you can switch jobs and shouldn't be worried about it. I got this from an Immigration lawyer.

To glxy: I think this topic does belong here. Alot of us long term waiting AOS candidates are considering moving jobs I am sure. We want to know whether it's best to AC21 right now or wait for the GC and move quickly. I'm sorry how sad you obviously are about the state of processing, I hear you and empathesise with you. Sometimes this wait makes me cry. I have mixed feelings when I see people with later dates than me processed, and nowadays that's pretty common. But, the topic is a good one to have here and I for one am jolly glad that jollyguy asked this question.

becky

Hi jollyguy..
You said
actually took my final decision and while I was in India my 485 got approved

How did you get back into US? Using H1B or AP? I thought once your 485 approved, that will invalidate all other status.

Please reply

-Neel

Neelesh m said:
Hi jollyguy..
You said

How did you get back into US? Using H1B or AP? I thought once your 485 approved, that will invalidate all other status.

Please reply

-Neel

Though H1B is status, AP itself is not a status, rather it's a document that enables you to reenter USA and continue the "previous" status (before leaving USA) you had. AP is good for the time period specified on AP, regardless whether I485 is approved or not.

I love this topic ...

I totally agree with your lawyer, though lot of people on this forum donot. You will find people with both opinions, that too very strong. I donot think that (discussion) will help you, unless you want to go by the count :) But this discussion will help some new comers to know a little bit about the law or lack of it.

As far as I know, there is no provision written anywhere. And moreover its an issue only if you want to go for citizenship.

Decision is yours.

To glxy

Glxy,

If things seem so obvious and your common-sense is enough to explain how law is supposed to work, what are you doing in this forum anyways? I sure hope its USCIS that has made you so cynical so you can get over it once your GC comes thru.

Or if you are here just to cause some confusion and offering bad advise to extract cheap thrills, you are a little bit misplaced in this forum.

Humbly request you to clean up your act, for the sake of each and every friend who utilizes this forum.

Hi Everyone,

sorry I have not responded to your question Nilesh as I was busy yesterday.

I did come back on my AP and there was no problem at the POE. I was not fingerprinted or photographed and did tell the officer that I was going tomorrow (I arrived back on Sunday) for my stamping, he asked me if I had finished my interview and I told him I did not have one.

As for GLXY, after reading everyones post here I am more than convinced that this post belongs here since everyone will face this decision sooner or later, even you. My plan was to move using AC21 and did not in my wildest dream expect that my 485 would be approved so quickly hence my dilema.

Regarding citizenship I have been categorically told by my attorney that switching jobs will have no bearing on it. I have already put her response with my first post but not my conversation with her. She has confirmed what she wrote in the email. There is NO PROBLEM to switch. I am going to change and it will have been about 2 months since I got my 485 approved, but as for others who read this post please take your independant decision.

It would be great if some of our senior members like 140, kashmir etc. would respond to this post.

Thanks to everyone who has contrbuted and hope others can take the time to do the same.

jollyguy,
Accolades to your post! It is indeed a valuable post where lots of this forum members are getting their I-485 approved everyday and some of us will face the same question as yours. I am one of them where I just received RFE. I have plans to switch my employer once after my GC is approved. Infact few of my friends too want to switch once their GC is approved.

I appreciate your posting of your lawyer's feedback. I have a different question. What if the employer terminates within 6 months to 1 year of GC?[Even if he doesn't we very well can make that situation, isn't it? :D ]Then we will not be at fault at the time of citizenship, am I right?

GOVGC,

Per my understanding you are correct. If employment is terminated by the employer then the employee is scot free. This is my understanding and I could be wrong and I am sure there are others here who can give there input on this.

jollyguy,

My lawyer suggests staying 3-6 months after approval, just to be safe. He says that it leaving could lead to a problem with your citizenship application in the future, but that there is no hard and fast rules. That applies if you leave your job on your own free will. If you are laid off after your approval you are fine (from an immigration point of view).

I went through this thinking process recently, after getting an RFE back on March 11. I was just starting to interview for newer and better paying jobs, but was concerned (or hoping) that my 485 would be approved soon. Anyway, I've heard nothing about that 485, and am assuming that the RFE had nothing to do with any pending approvals, so I am moving along negotiating with a couple of prospective employers. If by some miracle I get an approval, I'll be thankful for that and just stay where I am for a few more months, but I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck to you...