• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Green card and unemplyment

brunash82

Hello folks...I hope there is anyone who can help me with my question. I won green card lottery and I moved to states on November 2015, so this is my fifth year here, this year I am applying for Citizesnhip. I have been working all the time since I came here, but because of Corona virus I got layd off from work evertyhing is clossed so there is nowhere to work obviosly so I applied for unemployment benefits. Can you please tell me can I have problems over getting citizenship because of that or even lose my green card?

Research the latest news on the 'public charge' rule. For example, I just read this.

The “public charge” rule allows the Department of Homeland Security to refuse citizenship for immigrants who rely on monetary or nonmonetary government assistance. The US Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration to implement the public charge rule in New York in January. The Supreme Court additionally extended implementation to every state in February.

https://www.jurist.org/news/2020/04...ublic-charge-rule-during-the-covid-19-crisis/

Research the latest news on the 'public charge' rule. For example, I just read this.

https://www.jurist.org/news/2020/04...ublic-charge-rule-during-the-covid-19-crisis/
The actual news article linked to says nothing about citizenship, only admission to the US. As it stands there is nothing in the naturalization process that relates to public charge. The use of the word “citizenship” in the latest article as per your quote above appears an error that should have been picked up by a legal editor.

Also, unemployment benefit is an insured benefit and is not a public charge anyway.

As far as I can see it, nobody can't tell me for sure anything about this. I was trying to find any article about this, but unsuccefull. I'll see what is going to be once I apply for Citizenship.:eek:

As far as I can see it, nobody can't tell me for sure anything about this. I was trying to find any article about this, but unsuccefull. I'll see what is going to be once I apply for Citizenship.:eek:
Well, have a look at the N400 form - it’s available in pdf form on the uscis website - and see for yourself that there are no questions relating to public charge, much less to using unemployment benefits ... which again is not even public charge, and that is very easily confirmed “for sure” by going to the public charge section on the uscis website.

Unemployment benefits are not considered for public charge inadmissibility purposes:
The following is a non-exhaustive list of public benefits that USCIS does not consider in the public charge inadmissibility determination as they are considered earned benefits:
* Unemployment benefits;
And the public charge ground of inadmissibility doesn't affect naturalization anyway:
The public charge ground of inadmissibility does not apply in naturalization proceedings.
Because you are not required to be "admissible" to naturalize.