Green Card and going back to School

RS_IL

I got GC through EB1-OR employer sponsored category about 6 months ago.

I have worked with them for about 4.5 years.

I want to go to graduate school again (Full Time MBA)

How will going to school again impact Citizenship application? They require employment history when applying for Citizenship and if one goes to MBA will it be construed as defaulting on why GC was granted.

Thanks.

MBA before citizenship

Hi there,

I too am going back to school for MBA. Did you have any difficulties at getting financial aid/loans from the school? or is your employer paying for your tuition expenses? I'm going to have to apply for non-school financial aid and would appreciate advice in this matter. Thanks.

JoeF said:
Generally, student loans and the like require a GC or citizenship. So you should be ok with that.
Note that the financial aid office usually wants to see if you registered for Selective Services. If you didn't need to, having a letter from them that you weren't required to register is really helpful.

I was told that Stafford loans are available for citizens and GC-holders of certain categories (like political refugees and stuff) only.

JoeF said:
Nope. It is available to anybody who is eligible based on the FAFSA, and that is every US citizen and PR.
See http://www.staffordloan.com/resources/faq.shtml
"The Stafford Loan is a federal student loan, and eligibility is based on the results of your FAFSA."
I looked it up on the FAFSA site, it sais:
"Virtually all U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens enrolled at least half-time in a college or university that participates in the Federal Title IV financial assistance programs should be eligible to receive some form of financial aid."
It doesn't clarify who _eligible_ non-citizens are. I sent them an email, let's see what they say.

I would appreciate any additional information on the topic. I'm attending grad program and just got my PR, but the financial aid office said that I probably won't be eligible for any form of federal aid; I can still apply for suppliemental loan though.

Thanks, JoeF.

Could you tell me what type of federal student loans were you able to qualify for? Do I need to apply for them well ahead of the start of my MBA? Thanks again.

alren said:
I think that the PRs would be included in the above.

I just called the toll-free number listed on staffordloan.com and an operator told me to fill out a form on the FAFSA site. He said that PRs are eligible for federal loans. Thanks guys!

GC and going back to school

I had a successful CP interview yesterday in Chennai and will be entering the US in the first week of March. I've been planning to go to law school for a while, and I wrote the LSAT and applied to a few schools for Fall '05. If I get in, can I still go to school this fall without jeopardizing my GC status? I plan to work for my employer till I go to school (another 5-6 months), but in my case I've had no intent to continue with my employer permanently, even before my CP interview. Could this be construed as misrepresentation, because the USCIS is probably aware that in order for me to start school this Fall, I would've had to start applying before I got my GC. Any help would be most appreciated!

scheruvu said:
I had a successful CP interview yesterday in Chennai and will be entering the US in the first week of March. I've been planning to go to law school for a while, and I wrote the LSAT and applied to a few schools for Fall '05. If I get in, can I still go to school this fall without jeopardizing my GC status? I plan to work for my employer till I go to school (another 5-6 months), but in my case I've had no intent to continue with my employer permanently, even before my CP interview. Could this be construed as misrepresentation, because the USCIS is probably aware that in order for me to start school this Fall, I would've had to start applying before I got my GC. Any help would be most appreciated!

my lawyer told me that if there is clear evidence showing that you did not intent to work for your sponsoring employer even before the green card is approved, then there would be a serious problem. so consult a lawyer about your case.

i guess what action you take is more important than what is in your mind. 99% F-1 lied to the officer about their non-immigration intent. but as long as they do not file GC application very soon after getting F-1, nobody really cares what was in their mind when they applied for F-1.