great stamping experience in des moines, iowa

Pork Chop

Registered Users (C)
thought i should share our i551 (GC) stamping experience in des moines, iowa, with you.

i had read that most people recommend getting to the BCIS office really, really early to beat the rush, but my wife and i thought, "how about getting there really, really late?" so on a hunch, we decided to reach the BCIS office at around noon.

one advantage possibly of this hour was we found plenty of available parking by the roadside on locust ave, so we did not need to park in the city parking ramp at the corner of 3rd and grand where we usually park.

the guards at the entrance of the federal building at walnut ave where the BCIS office is located were courteous as always. we found that our hunch had paid off when we finally wandered into the BCIS office just past noon, and found that there were only four or five people waiting ahead of us, which was in contrast to the earlier times we had come for our fingerprints. our total wait time in the queue was around 25 minutes.

the immigration officer at the counter was among the friendliest, most courteous and polite people we have ever met. she corrected my wife's name on her form which was misspelled on the approval notice, commiserated with us that our little son was still not approved, even gave a lollipop to take home with us for our son. she was very efficient and had us on our way in a only a few minutes, and all the while we had pleasant conversation. remarking, for example, on the clarity of my fingerprint, she said, "so, it does not seem like you help your wife very much with the dishes!" i could only mumble that i did provide moral support to my wife in the matter of house chores.

i hope there are more people like her in the BCIS.

Pork, did you go with courtesy copy of the

approval notice or with the copy that would have been sent to the attorneys (in case you did use an attorney). It appears you case was approved the same day as mine (April 22) and neither I nor my attorney have received the copies that USCIS has mailed. Appreciate your input.

fq1

hey, fq1, congrats on your approval. we went in with our courtesy copies, which surprised us by showing up in our mailbox on monday, april 26. have seen nothing from my lawyer so far, but, who cares?

Are you from des moines

Hi PorkChop,

I am from Des Moines, Iowa. If you are also from des moines iowa, can you tell where exactly you are from, like clive, west des moines, urbandale etc?

Pork, thanks for the prompt reply and

congrats again on the approval/stamping.

docs?

Pork Chop

What documents do we need to submit for stamping?
congrats on the approval,I was approved on the 21st but nothing in the mail so far.

congrats, tan67!

for docs, you definitely need your original approval notice (which could be your courtesy copy), all your I-94s, and all your EADs. they did not ask for our APs, but i had kept 'em anyway. one other thing that surprised me was that we did not need our passports, as they actually give you a "temporary green card", which really is a blank I-94 card stamped with the I-551 stamp and they paste one of your pictures on it. you have the option of getting the stamp on your passport as well, but if you have only a few months of validity left on your passport, or if you are going to be sending your passport by mail to foreign consulates for visas etc. and are concerned about losing stuff in mail, then they recommend you get the temp GC instead of the stamp in the passport. on the other hand, that is one more thing for you to lose. we opted for the temp GC.

photos?

Thanks Pork Chop,its a relief for us SR people to get approved.
Do we need to take along two photos as well ?

Congrats Porkchap

No doubt, Its a sigh of relief. Enjoyed your comments and input on the forum. In general, midwestern people (Iowa and Minnesota, dakotas etc) are very courteous and friendly . I wonder, howcome Nebraskan service center doesn't show that kind of compassion? Well, you dont need to worry about GC anymore . We will miss you, Please stopby once a while.

tan67: oops! sorry i forgot about the photos. yes, you do need to take two ADIT style photos, which are the same kind of 2" by 2" pictures showing your three-quarters right profile that you submitted initially with your 485 app, and with your EAD and AP apps as well.

wallst_wizz: thanks, wizz. you are absolutely right about people in the midwest. i guess in the nebraska service center there are good people too, but sometime a system or institution becomes such that it does not bring out the best in people. anyway, i do plan to stick around these forums for as long as i can.

Pork Chop/ anyone with stamping experience in Des Moines

Got my approval notice today and I was thinking we would be going to Des Moines for stamping, because that is where we did our both FPs. But we are given Milwaukee ASC for stamping. I did some research here and understand we could go to a different ASC for stamping. Here are my specific questions to anyone having these kind of experience.Forgive me, if any of these questions are answered previously.Thanks in advance.

1. Any specific days in Des Moines for GC stamping? Notice from the CIS web site that this ASC is open Mon-Thu, closed Sat & Sun, what about Friday? That was the day I was planning to go there. Are they closed or is it just a typo on the web site?

2. Anyone has the phone number for Des Moines ASC ( Application Service Center). Not listed in the website. Any folks in Des Moines?

3. What does "ADIT' style photo stands for, Approval notice says so, but I guess that is outdated info and has been changed now to normal Passport type photos, right? Do you need more than 2 nos, if they stamp the GC on a separate 'I-94' like paper?

4. Anyone with experience going to Des Moines, IA with Approval notice asking to go to a different ASC? Need to drive in opposite directions fromwhere I live whether for Des Moines & Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is a lot farther away, and I guess Milwaukee will be a lot more crowded than Des Moines.

Any help/comment is highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
santo said:
1. Any specific days in Des Moines for GC stamping? Notice from the CIS web site that this ASC is open Mon-Thu, closed Sat & Sun, what about Friday? That was the day I was planning to go there. Are they closed or is it just a typo on the web site?
if i remember correctly, it was any day except wednesdays. i believe different local offices have different days during the work week when they are closed to the public (for sex orgies, no doubt).
santo said:
2. Anyone has the phone number for Des Moines ASC ( Application Service Center). Not listed in the website. Any folks in Des Moines?
yep, they were sneaky, but i was sneakier... i did a yellow page search on yahoo. their number is (515) 323-2050. good luck trying to get a live person, though... you will always get somebody's answering machine (no doubt engaged in the above-referred activity). oh well... they will have the last laugh, won't they?
santo said:
3. What does "ADIT' style photo stands for, Approval notice says so, but I guess that is outdated info and has been changed now to normal Passport type photos, right? Do you need more than 2 nos, if they stamp the GC on a separate 'I-94' like paper?
ADIT style refers the the so-callled "three-quarter" right-profile mugshot of you showing your right ear, with hair pulled back if it covers your ear. now, CIS has issued a new directive that they will require simple, head-on mugshots, like passport pix. for the time being, though, they will accept both styles. refer to their website (www.uscis.gov) for the latest.

in our case, we had only submitted 2 pix, and the lady used up one of them for our "temporary" GC fashioned out of a blank i94. some folks from other locations have reported that, should you like a similar temp card, they ask you for a third pic. keep a couple extra ones, just in case.
santo said:
4. Anyone with experience going to Des Moines, IA with Approval notice asking to go to a different ASC? Need to drive in opposite directions fromwhere I live whether for Des Moines & Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is a lot farther away, and I guess Milwaukee will be a lot more crowded than Des Moines.
you got me there, bud.

to Pork Chop

Pork Chop:

Thank you very much. Had I gone last friday, I could have witnessed some of those 'activities' !