Granted asylum when to apply for citizenship

bob armani

Registered Users (C)
Hi, please I need help. I granted asylum november 2002, applied for green card march 2004. green card application approved december 2006. Send me the green card with december 2005 date on it. My question is when to apply for citizenship? is it 4 years from the date on the green card (december 2005) or 5 years?? I search all the net half the people say 4 years and the other half say 5 years. I am really confused can somebody answer my question please. Thank you for the help.

For asylum cases, USCIS back dates the "resident since" date 1 year from approval date. In your case the resident since date is December 2005 and the earliest you can apply is 5 years from your resident since date, so you can apply now (provided you have met continuous residency and physical presence requirement).

Thanks bobsmyth, but you said 5 years from residence since date which is december 2005 that means i will apply december 2010 not now??

Sorry, I meant December 2010..I was thinking too much in advance.;)

Actually, you can apply up to 90 days before you have met continuous residence as a LPR for 5 years, so in your case September 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
but there are more than website saying for GC based on asylum can apply after 4 years. I cant post the link, the forum not allowing me to.

BobArmani, it don't matter if your gc is from asylum. Look at the date on your gc, you can apply 4 yrs and 9 month from that date.

BobArmani, it don't matter if your gc is from asylum. Look at the date on your gc, you can apply 4 yrs and 9 month from that date.

Not 4 years and 9 months, but up to 90 days before you meet 5 years of continuous as a LPR. It's not exactly the same thing.

what about the selective service?? I knew that i have to register after i am already 26 years old so i cant register now. I never received a notice from the selective service, so do you think this is a problem while applying for my citizenship.

I knew that i have to register after i am already 26 years old so i cant register now.

You mean to say it was only after your 26th birthday that you found out you were supposed to register.
What immigration status were you in before your 26th birthday?

Depending on your age now, you'll have to provide evidence that your failure to register wasn't knowingly.

BobArmani,

Only the people who are in IMMIGRANT status (or undocumented) have to register with the Selective Service between their 18th birthday and the day they turn 26.

I believe B1 and B2 and NON-IMMIGRANT statuses (statusi :)), i.e. tourist visas, so if you hald B1/B2 or M-1 or F-1 or J or H1B continuously from any period of time between your 18th and 26th birthdays you were not required to register.

However, you should get a "status information letter" - SIL - from the Selective Service to that effect. Go to their site (sorry, I'm typing this from a cell phone, don't have url with me), download a form, and follow instructions. Oh wait, I think it's www.sss.gov

It taked 2-3 months to receive the SIL and you would have to submit evidence (such as photocopies of any entry visa in your passport, any new status granted, status extensions, I-797's, I-94's and such for them to review).

*I-797 is the nice letter with reddish Lady Liberty's torch that you usually receive from the USCIS to notify you of action regarding an application or petition you have filed with them. Status extensions or status changes, grants are typically communicated to you on one of those.

When you've received your SIL, and if indeed they determine from your evidence submitted that you did not need to register, send a photocopy of it together with your N-400 sometime in late September 2010. :)