Got SC from CGI Houston in 2 weeks - But there is a problem

afaafa

Registered Users (C)
I got surrender certificate in 2 weeks from CGI Houston; sent out the applications via priority mail on 12/22/2010 and received cancelled passports and SCs today, 01/04/2011 (for my wife and me).

However, my wife's SC does not have signature and stamp of the consulate officer (mine is signed and stamped). But both her passport and mine have cancellation stamps (passport cancelled as holder has acquired US citizenship) on the first page and last page.

So, what should I do now? Can I go ahead and apply for OCI because our passports have cancellation stamps? Or should I get her SC signed and stamped by CGI Houston before applying for OCI? Please advise. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

If you don't want to get into anymore trouble that you already have been, I recommend that you just apply OCI cos passports got Cancellation stamps, which is just as good as having the GOLD PLATED SC :)

Once you get your OCI in hand, and you have some free time/money + motivation, than pursue embassy to correct the SC.

Another example of Embassy "Ignorance" or I must say, they do it knowingly to put us in trouble and delay the things.

I got surrender certificate in 2 weeks from CGI Houston; sent out the applications via priority mail on 12/22/2010 and received cancelled passports and SCs today, 01/04/2011 (for my wife and me).

However, my wife's SC does not have signature and stamp of the consulate officer (mine is signed and stamped). But both her passport and mine have cancellation stamps (passport cancelled as holder has acquired US citizenship) on the first page and last page.

So, what should I do now? Can I go ahead and apply for OCI because our passports have cancellation stamps? Or should I get her SC signed and stamped by CGI Houston before applying for OCI? Please advise. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

If you don't want to get into anymore trouble that you already have been, I recommend that you just apply OCI cos passports got Cancellation stamps, which is just as good as having the GOLD PLATED SC :)

Once you get your OCI in hand, and you have some free time/money + motivation, than pursue embassy to correct the SC.

Another example of Embassy "Ignorance" or I must say, they do it knowingly to put us in trouble and delay the things.

I think sam has said it very well.
Go ahead and apply for OCI.

Hi sam012007, thanks for your response.

I am surprised that they charge $175 for SC and don't even bother to make sure whether it is signed before sending it back to the applicant.

I can go ahead and apply for OCI because the passport has cancellation stamp. But I am a little worried because I need to attach a copy of SC with OCI application and they may return the OCI application after 2 or 3 months saying that SC is not signed. I don't want to take any risk because the estimated processing time for OCI at CGI Houston is 6 months now (according to their web site). So, I am just trying to see what other members have to say about this situation.

You need to take action to rectify this right away because your wife will need proof of surrender certificate as part of the OCI application and probably any future CGI interactions.

First thing I would do is call them up right away and leave a voicemail explaining this problem. Next send an email today itself to the CGI Houston SC cell *AND* include the Consul General on this. In your email, mention that you left a voicemail about this problem and also ask them how they can send back an unstamped and unsigned SC when you paid $175 for it. Mention that the passport was cancelled.

The reason you ought to mention all these specific details is that you will have proof based on the sent email date-stamp that you did reach out to them right away to fix this. This way you can make the argument that they should not be asking you for more money to get a SC for your wife, which is what I am sure they will try. Good luck!

Does your wife's SC a internal file number in the Office only section.
It is will be in a typical GoI file number. This number will be partly printed using a rubber stamp and the last sequence number will be hand written.

You need to take action to rectify this right away because your wife will need proof of surrender certificate as part of the OCI application and probably any future CGI interactions.

First thing I would do is call them up right away and leave a voicemail explaining this problem. Next send an email today itself to the CGI Houston SC cell *AND* include the Consul General on this. In your email, mention that you left a voicemail about this problem and also ask them how they can send back an unstamped and unsigned SC when you paid $175 for it. Mention that the passport was cancelled.

The reason you ought to mention all these specific details is that you will have proof based on the sent email date-stamp that you did reach out to them right away to fix this. This way you can make the argument that they should not be asking you for more money to get a SC for your wife, which is what I am sure they will try. Good luck!

JPBoston, thank you very much for your advice and concern. Of course, I am trying to get my wife's SC corrected. After all, that's what I have paid them $175 for.

I called CGI Houston yesterday and spoke to a lady about this issue. To get the SC signed and stamped, she asked me to come to Houston in person or send the SC to somebody in Houston who can go to the consulate on my behalf or send the SC back to the consulate with a letter explaining the issue and $20 for return mail charges. I am 300 miles away from Houston and don't have any friends or family members in Houston. So, I have decided to send the SC back to the consulate and asked her why do I have to pay $20 again for their mistake and her answer was "that's how it works" :( You all know how it goes when dealing with an Indian government office. The fact that the office is in the U.S. doesn't make their service any better.

Unfortunately, there is no email contact for CGI Houston. So, instead of wasting more time, I am sending my wife's SC back to the consulate today to get it signed and stamped.

Does your wife's SC a internal file number in the Office only section.
It is will be in a typical GoI file number. This number will be partly printed using a rubber stamp and the last sequence number will be hand written.

Hi rpranesh,

Yes, my wife's SC has file/certificate number (part rubber stamp, part hand written) and date (another rubber stamp) but it is missing the signature and stamp of a consular officer.

I still think you are fine ... do not bother to get it corrected.

You and your wife's Indian Passports are marked "Cancelled" and thats all what you would need for any interaction with Indian Embassy now or in future.

And NO, you don't need to attach a copy of SC with your OCI applications if you can attach a copy of your "Cancelled" Indian Passport. Atleast thats what I did for my wife at DC Consulate. No idea about Houston CGI though.

But I am sure this has been discussed here so many times and JP can confirm this.
You can either have SC or a "Cancelled" stamp on your Indian Passport and both will work the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
JPBoston, thank you very much for your advice and concern. Of course, I am trying to get my wife's SC corrected. After all, that's what I have paid them $175 for.

I called CGI Houston yesterday and spoke to a lady about this issue. To get the SC signed and stamped, she asked me to come to Houston in person or send the SC to somebody in Houston who can go to the consulate on my behalf or send the SC back to the consulate with a letter explaining the issue and $20 for return mail charges. I am 300 miles away from Houston and don't have any friends or family members in Houston. So, I have decided to send the SC back to the consulate and asked her why do I have to pay $20 again for their mistake and her answer was "that's how it works" :( You all know how it goes when dealing with an Indian government office. The fact that the office is in the U.S. doesn't make their service any better.

Unfortunately, there is no email contact for CGI Houston. So, instead of wasting more time, I am sending my wife's SC back to the consulate today to get it signed and stamped.

Is the SC on the Houston letter head?
That may make it better.
But in any case, peace of mind is more important. $20 is nota big deal.

I still think you are fine ... do not bother to get it corrected.

You and your wife's Indian Passports are marked "Cancelled" and thats all what you would need for any interaction with Indian Embassy now or in future.

And NO, you don't need to attach a copy of SC with your OCI applications if you can attach a copy of your "Cancelled" Indian Passport. Atleast thats what I did for my wife at DC Consulate. No idea about Houston CGI though.

But I am sure this has been discussed here so many times and JP can confirm this.
You can either have SC or a "Cancelled" stamp on your Indian Passport and both will work the same way.

sam012007, I appreciate your response again.

Yes, I may not need my wife's SC get corrected because her passport has cancellation stamp. But I would like to do it to be safe, just in case I need to deal with these morons in future. I paid them $175 to do it and I want them to do it.

I just came back from the post office after sending the SC back to CGI Houston. I had to include another $20 for return mail charges but that's ok with me.

Is the SC on the Houston letter head?
That may make it better.
But in any case, peace of mind is more important. $20 is nota big deal.

Hi emno, the SC is not on CGI Houston letterhead. It is nothing but one of the two copies of SC application we send them, which is signed, stamped and sent back to us (with some file number and date on it). For this "service", they charge us $175, which is nothing short of robbery in my opinion.

Yes, I agree with you; peace of mind is more important. I want to be safe than sorry.

Friends, thank you all very much for your time and advice. I really appreciate it.

I wish you all a very happy new year and wish you faster processing with whichever application (N400/SC/OCI) you still have pending !

Good luck and hopefully they will do a better job this time. That lady's disdainful response was disgusting. They should have paid for the return postage out of their fat coffers but what do you expect from an insensitive, inefficient bunch of morons. Sad.

sam012007, I appreciate your response again.

Yes, I may not need my wife's SC get corrected because her passport has cancellation stamp. But I would like to do it to be safe, just in case I need to deal with these morons in future. I paid them $175 to do it and I want them to do it.

I just came back from the post office after sending the SC back to CGI Houston. I had to include another $20 for return mail charges but that's ok with me.

No worries, but I can give you another recommendation -->> never use USPS or UPS when sending the most important documents to somewhere. I recommend using FedEx for these purposes. You mentioned you are only 300 miles away from Houston, you could have gotten your package next day with their ground services.

Anyways. Good luck for anything or everything :)

Good luck and hopefully they will do a better job this time. That lady's disdainful response was disgusting. They should have paid for the return postage out of their fat coffers but what do you expect from an insensitive, inefficient bunch of morons. Sad.

:) They have eaten my $195 ... what else you could expect from these morons?

JPBoston, thank you. I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, we have to deal with these people, there is no other option. It looks like asking them to do what they are supposed to do is too much to ask for. Let's see how much time they take this time to sign it and send it back to me.

No worries, but I can give you another recommendation -->> never use USPS or UPS when sending the most important documents to somewhere. I recommend using FedEx for these purposes. You mentioned you are only 300 miles away from Houston, you could have gotten your package next day with their ground services.

Anyways. Good luck for anything or everything :)

sam012007, thank you! I will use FedEx when I send out our OCI applications.

and her answer was "that's how it works" :( You all know how it goes when dealing with an Indian government office. The fact that the office is in the U.S. doesn't make their service any better.

While I understand yours, JPBostons, and other comments on this topic ... did you expect any differently? In this world, there are clients and there are consumers. Irrespective of whether it is government or business, consumers get treated in a particular way. If shit happens, fixing it is hard. And on top of that, you are dealing with Indian government. I am surprised you did not just say "ok ma'am" and move on.