Got OPT, did not graduate but moved to H1. Trouble?

sunnynacho

Hi,

I was an F1 student and was almost finished with my dissertation, so I applied for OPT to start work, and I got my OPT approved sometime in the summer of 2010. However, my company applied for an H1B visa for me and I also got it. I started work using that H1B visa at the end of 2010, and I never actually worked under the OPT permit.

For personal reasons I could not graduate in 2010, so I did not meet the OPT requirements. Since I have an H1B I'm still able to enroll in the university and I might finally graduate this coming fall of 2011.

My question is, what kind of trouble am I in for not graduating within the OPT timeframe? Even if I never actually worked under that OPT? Could that spell trouble further down the line for my H1B visa or a potential green card application from my current company?

To completely clarify things I have never been out of status, my original I20 was set to expire in August of 2012, but I've been on H1B since October of 2010.

Thanks for your help!

Sunny

Education requirement for H1-B visa, is a US bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited college or university and the degree must be required to qualify in the specialty occupation. But I don't understand how the employer got you US Work visa.