Got my US passport, but my name is spelled wrong

mpark46

Registered Users (C)
Background - I have been a greencard holder since I was 3 (I am 33 now) and brough all of my paperwork in to get a US passport.

My first name is Miyon, but it has always showed up as Mi yon on all of my legal documents, which is fine. However, I lost my greencard about 5 years ago and when I got a replacement it showed my name as Mi Y...it assumed yon was my middle name.

Anyhow, I received my US passport and it shows my name again as Mi Y, which is not my name. I realize I should have corrected my greencard information at the time, but I never did.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get my name corrected? I also got married just over a year ago, and if possible I'd like to change my last name to take my husband's simultaneously.

Did you select option to fix your name you had on your green card on citizenship application?

Background - I have been a greencard holder since I was 3 (I am 33 now) and brough all of my paperwork in to get a US passport.

My first name is Miyon, but it has always showed up as Mi yon on all of my legal documents, which is fine. However, I lost my greencard about 5 years ago and when I got a replacement it showed my name as Mi Y...it assumed yon was my middle name.

Anyhow, I received my US passport and it shows my name again as Mi Y, which is not my name. I realize I should have corrected my greencard information at the time, but I never did.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get my name corrected? I also got married just over a year ago, and if possible I'd like to change my last name to take my husband's simultaneously.

How did you write your name in your passport application? First name: MIYON or First name: MI YON?
What is your name on your certificate of Naturalization?

Unless you can prove your real name using birth certificate is not matching what is in the passport, your remaining option is to apply for name change at the local county court. Then take the name change order signed by judge and submit that along with name change in the passport.
If you just want to change to husbands last name, you do not need to get your name changed in court. You can just send marriage certificate and get last name changed in passport. If you want first name corrected as well, then you have to get it done in local court first.
Makes sense?

How did you write your name in your passport application? First name: MIYON or First name: MI YON?
What is your name on your certificate of Naturalization?

I don't have a naturalization certificate. I am a citizen through my parents, however I didn't file the N600. I took my parents' naturalization certificates and my foreign birth certificate and requested a US passport.

Unless you can prove your real name using birth certificate is not matching what is in the passport, your remaining option is to apply for name change at the local county court. Then take the name change order signed by judge and submit that along with name change in the passport.
If you just want to change to husbands last name, you do not need to get your name changed in court. You can just send marriage certificate and get last name changed in passport. If you want first name corrected as well, then you have to get it done in local court first.
Makes sense?

Yes, thank you. If I do it through the courts, can I change both my first and last name at the same time?

You might try to file again by mail. Send your passport back with correct spelling on the application and some supporting documentation such as you birth certificate, foreing passport and so on. There is instructions how to file by mail on state.gov web site.

If they agree and send you the pasport as you want go to SSA to correct the SSN card.

Then go the the DMV to correct the DL.

BTW, you did not answer the important question about what did you write on the application. Also did you have a correct translation of your birth certificate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Name change Atlanta DO

N400Atl

How long did it take for your wife to get oath letter with name change request after successful interview in Atlanta? I have read your forum and you have said that some people it has taken as long as 9 months. Any improvements on that?

Sorry if I have put this in wrong thread....

Act quickly

You need to do the following:

1) Re-apply for a new passport by going to the Department of State's website.

If your name was spelled correctly on your original documents and the error is by the Department of State, then just resubmit the evidence and the passport directly to the address directed. If you do this within one year of issuance, there is no fee.

If your name has changed since these documents were issued, you can get a court order to change your name. If this happens, obtain a copy of the court order, and send in with your passport. Again, if done within one year there is no additional fee.