Got My Passport stamped today!!!!

Did they send your case to the local office?

Dear Jay,

Thank you for posting your experience. Because you believe that you would be interviewed, were you notifiedd by the NSC of the relocation of your case to the local INS office? Thanks.

HI

I applied my I485 in November 1999 and have heard so far. I have written them letter but without any reply. I am not sure whats going on. I was give asylum in 1998.

They did not Bobbie...

Hey Bobbie,
All what we received from them is a notice to appear at the application center in order for them to do the fingerprinting thing. We did not hear anything from them as to whether they transferred our case to the local office of the INS were we live. The assumption of being interviewed by them after a month or so is just a personal one and for the fact that a couple of our friends got interviewed directly after the fingerprinting (I am talking 3-4 weeks period only), so I am not sure if this will apply on us as well as them or there is another change in the procedures.

No Title

Hi Jay, could you tell us when your friends applied for I-485?
As for your application filed in 1999, INS NSC is supposed to process applications on a "first come first serve" basis. As far as we know, nobody that applied after June 98 has been called for fingerprinting (except you) nor interview; so, it would be surprising they are already processing applications filed in 1999; like yours, unless your are under the Iranian, Iraquies special processing or any other similar.
Last official report from INS says that they are processing applications filed by mid-January 1998, there is a long way from there to 1999. However, that cut-off date was reported by the end of FY 2001, and we don\'t know yet how far INS will go by the end of FY 2002.
Please keep us informed. Thanks

Hey Alan

Hey Alan,
How are you Alan and thanks for all your effort and the very informative notices and remarks. As for your question, my friends filed their I-485 in June 1997, they called them to appear for fingerprinting a month before the interview, they got their interviews in July or August 2000 but they did not call them yet for passport stamping, they think it will be very soon, especially after reading the time frames provided by Otoka’s message earlier. As for our situation, I am not sure what’s really going on, I have read many, many messages in this forum and I am totally aware of the fact that Alan mentioned, “first come, first served”. I am not sure if what I am going to mention now is even relevant or make sense. When we went for the fingerprinting that day, the person who was in that center (I think she is the manager) asked us if they took our fingerprints previously, so we answered that the last time we did was when we applied for the Asylum in Boston 1997, so she asked about the date of filing our I-485 and we said end of 1999, she insisted that I am wrong and that I actually mean end of 1998 instead, we insisted for about 10 seconds (not more than 10 seconds by the way to save our selves the headache :)) and then we said to her, as you like madam, you just know better than us!! Whatever! What I am trying to say is maybe there is some kind of mistake or something, I am not sure if that lady knows what she is talking about or maybe just being a pain in the neck at 8 in the morning. When we received the last notice to appear at the application support center, the notice included the following: that the fingerprints provided by us at the time of filing the I-485 has expired and that we need to appear on that date to do that in order for them to continue processing our applications (As if they are processing anything!!), the question here, and this is for the people who did the fingerprinting and maybe interviews in some cases, did the note they received is something closer to what I received or not? My friends told me that it is the exact same thing like mine, and they gave them a period of about 2 months to do that in case they missed the first appointment.
Just confusion, lawlessness, pandemonium, disarray and madness and on and on. I am really not sure what is going on or what will happen, actually, I get so sick every time I think how long we waited or still have to wait. Sorry guys, you just need sometimes to get it out before you explode.
Take care everyone, and good luck, I will keep you all informed if anything happens, maybe they will call us for the interview and stamp our expired passports right away and issue the green cards for us, right on the spot. (Just kidding, a really bad, bad, joke)

No Title

Jay, quite interesting and thanks for your very informative response. I have carefully read your message and will go by segments.
First of all, your friends applied at a local INS office and you must have applied at NSC in 1999 when everything was centralized in Nebraska Service Center and local INS office were not longer processing I-485\'s for Asylees . So, what your friends have experienced does not apply to you or anybody that filed after June 98 (at NSC).
All the applicants that filed at local INS offices were interviewed while not all of those people that applied after June 98 (at NSC) will be interviewed. They will interview 2% of the applicants randomly selected plus those cases that INS believe need to be interviewed.
Then, you must have applied at NSC and; consequently must have a receipt notice with a LIN Number. If you actually filed by the end of 1999 your receipt number is like LIN-00-xxx-5yyyy; however, if they made a mistake your receipt number should be LIN-99-xxx-5yyyy. Is it "00" or "99"?
As for your question to people that already got their interview and filed before June 98, bear in mind that the procedure has changed and their experience doesn\'t apply to the rest of us.
I understand you are not under special processing (Iranian, Iraquies, etc) so, is this an INS mistake? it is a possibility; but sooner or later they will realize there is something wrong there.
One thing I would do if it was my case is call NSC (it takes a while to finally get your call through) talk to an IO and ask for the status of the application.
Thanks again, good luck and please keep us posted.

No Title

Alan,
I just cannot stop thanking you for taking the time and energy to respond and give such detailed, very well written analysis. I totally agree with all what you said, actually, they did apply in a local office, so what you said is absolutely right and the change of procedures is defiantly right too. As for your question concerning my receipt, it is LIN-99-XXXX, and the date of the receipt is December 8, 1999 (the date they received the application is October 11, 1999). Also, I am not under any special procedures at all, I wish though if it was faster. Alan, I will just go with your advice, I am going to call NSC, and hopefully, I will have somebody willing to cooperate and help out. I will keep you guys posted if anything new comes up with me. Take care everyone

No Title

So the mistake is right there! The receipt date is December 8, 1999 which belongs to Fiscal Year 2000, and your LIN number should be LIN-00; however, somehow appears as LIN-99 (the previous Fiscal Year), so the LIN Number you have corresponds to an application filed the previous year (say December 8, 1998), but the receipt date is not consistent with that LIN Number.
INS goes by the date the application was filed (not the LIN number) But, who knows? they might have noticed the mistake and called you to verify, or didn\'t notice the mistake and are scheduling processing your application. It is hard to know unless you actually talk to someone at INS.
Prior to calling INS, I would check calling after working hours or during the weekend to verify the message from the automated voice machine.
Also, I would be very cautious when talking to the IO trying not to let them not you are aware or believe there is a mistake, and instead trying to know what they believe the status of your application is. Good luck and stay in touch!

No Title

If memory serves me right Otoka filed his I-485 at the Houston distric office. I also filed mine at the houston district office in September 1997. It\'s nice to know atleast that INS is stamping asylee I-485 approvals. Hopefully I\'ll get mine in six months to a year from now. Congrats Otoka and thanks for sharing the good news with us.

Hi Jack

Nice to see you are back. As for your message, I understand that there is no further progress in your application.
There is something strange there Jack. You are right about Otoka, and I still can\'t get why you don\'t get called.
Have you changed your address and maybe INS didn\'t handle it properly? We really want to hear that your case has finally been approved!!

No Title

Hi Alanpero,

I forgot to mention that Otoka filed his I-485 in April 1997 and I filed mine in September 1997. 5 months time gap can mean tens of thousands of applications in between. I\'ll check with the INS if I don\'t hear anything from them by June-July. Last time I went there was in January 2002 and they told me to CONTINUE WAITING for the letter to come in for stamping.