Got magic e-mail/ Indian doctors' issues

Statin_doc

Registered Users (C)
I got my Card Production Ordered e-mail today! Finally got GC, long overdue! Have spent so much time in this country that I could have gone to med school here as well!

Thanks a lot for all your help! Hadron, posmd and others - I have benefitted from your posts from time-to-time!

Of course, I never was in professional jeopardy like thousands of other Indians, but it still rankles me that I got my GC 3 and 1/2 yrs after other docs who did waiver-job like me & with me! It is not fair!

Docs should have separate visas or separate visa exemptions! Otherwise, Indian docs are going to be exploited - especially in the next 5 years while there will be 50mil people dumped into the Healthcare system! Besides, it is grossly unjust!

Senator Conrad or somebody else has to get an exemption for those who do a waiver job or sign-up for one! If a doc serves in the Army - they are willing to give them a GC in 6mos and Citizenship in 3y! Then, why not for public service too - every waiver-job is equivalent to $25K in National Scholar Service loan waiver each year! It ought to count for something towards a GC!

But, who will bell the cat? As hadron has pointed out many times - AMA is the cause of the IMGs' troubles! So they will not help! Otherwise, Indian docs are so disunited, scattered! So, many Indian docs will continue to suffer and muddle through!

Maybe, IV and their docs will be able to force some issues! Or, maybe the lawmakers will take pity on some Indian docs!

Anyway, thanks everybody! Thoroughly relieved - no watching Visa bulletins or watching case status updates!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations !

I can understand your frustrations with the system.

As for Indians being scattered, I don't believe that that is the case. The 'American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin' is acutely aware of your issues. Vinod Shah, the current president of the organization recently managed to get a meeting with president Obama handing him a letter pleading the case of indian docs caught up in the unfair immigration system. In addition, AAPI is lobbying a number of members of congress to further those causes. Consider writing Dr Shah and explain how those immigration complications are holding up your ability to provide the most efficient care, those are the kind of stories that help in lobbying efforts. Oh, and now that you have your GC, contribute to their PAC to further those lobbying efforts.