Got laid off already but I-485 still processing

poor dude

Registered Users (C)
Ciba and Gurus,

PLEASE HELP. I got laid off only one month after I-485 is filed. The company tells me to "start from ground zero" , but recently, I got finger print notice and it looks like the process will be approved soon (if I was lucky enough to have no RFE)...

Question: Is this just "a too good to be true deal"? ( I am now back on H1 with another company, same job but a slightly different title, they have no intent to file labor cert for me yet as they are undergoing LAYOFFS themselves also - not at least another 6 month wait).

DO I just "stay happy" and hope for the best? or
Is it illegal to accept that greencard?
What is the chances of my previous company sending ANYTHING to INS to take my card back?
Will I be given a chance to prove myself out that I am really intending to stay but they laid me off?
Should I try my best to get myself back into my previous company?

I am lost , happy but worried... mixed feelings...

Please help, folks. Anyone with similar experience?? Please share !

Jessie
8/27/2001

If you have an EAD now and start using it AND ...

From I have learnt from my lawyer and some other postings, you may just stay happy and hope for the best. Here are my two cents:

1: If you have to wait, then just wait.
2: My lawyer told me to happily use my EAD as long as I am NOT getting an APPROVAL or DISAPPROVAL before the end of the 180 day, then the 180 day rule kicks in! (I do not know how the H1B situation will affect this since I got my EAD at that time).

3: Since you have been legally staying and working here in the US, what can INS complain about this except that they did not get noticed by your original sponsor? Remember, you are still on H1B and HAVE NOT started the SECOND ROUND of the application YET! It is not your problem if INS grant you the approval.

No Title

Ahoy,

I am not understanding your second point. I got my EAD after I joined this current employer (new H1B applied). Until today, is still not 180days yet. ND in March but already got finger prints done. so, what\'s up with the 180 days?? Any comments from your attorney will be appreciated. My attorney from current employer does not help. They just tell me to start from ground zero (but my company is not starting anything... I am stuck) :(

No Title

poor dude,

Go to Ron\'s discussion board and search for relevent postings.
There are many discussions on this topic.

ciba