• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Got it! Successful CP at US Embassy in Middle East

dv2007us

Registered Users (C)
I wanted to briefly highlight my CP experience. I recently had my CP interview at a US Embassy in the Middle East. My immigrant visa (green card) got approved and here is a brief outline of how it went.

I came into the Embassy and submitted my documents to the Immigrant Visa section. The employee had a checklist of documents and went through each one asking me for the original and a copy. This was not the interview but just the submission of documents phase. The consular who would interview me would show up at a different window later. Here is the list of the documents I submitted/they asked for:

1 recent photograph 5x5 cm, white background
Original Passport + Copy
Original Birth Certificate + Copy
He then asked if I had an Affidavit (I-134) from the US and I did, so I gave him the original
Work experience letters/Offer of employment (I was currently a student in the US and also working as part of the degree so I had this)
Bank Statement + Copy
High School Diploma + Copies
University and Advanced Degrees/Transcripts + Copies
Police Certificates from all countries where I resided for more than 6 months since reaching the age of 16 + Copies
Selective Service Notice + Copy

After collecting all the documents (original and copies) he asked me to go pay the fee after which I'll be called for the interview.

I went to another window, paid the $755 fee and then had a seat. Waited about 30 mins after which I was called to another window.

She was very nice. I came to the window and told her I had additional documents (such as references, letters, etc) she looked at me and smiled and said she didn't need anything else. She made a comment about my educational qualifications and smiled again. At that point it was clear that my green card was already approved and that this wasn't really going to be an interview. So I just chatted with her about when she got moved to this Embassy and where in the States she was from. I then told her I'd been to that State and we went on to have some small talk about touristic destinations in the US. We then talked about my field of study and I asked her if she liked that topic in high school, we joked around for a bit. The system was running slow so she was a little frustrated at that. In any case, she then asked me to raise my right hand, take an oath affirming my answers (on the form) to be true and then took my fingerprints. She asked me if I had any family in the US, I replied and then told her about my family and where they live. She asked me what motivated me to apply for the lottery and I gave my response. Anyways, then she told me what she had watched on Television the night before (related to our earlier discussion on my field of study). She asked me if I had already done the medical (which I had and they were awaiting the results which should've been the next day) and she said my visa will be ready for pickup in a few days.

That's it. I think my case was unique because of my educational background and qualifications but nevertheless it was very smooth running with no problems. I pick up my passport in a few days and then I'm heading back to the US.

My advice to everyone is to not to try to find short-cuts in the documentation. Give them what they ask for and I know from personal experience some of the documents require a lot of work, patience and effort (e.g. certain police certificates as I found out from my adventurous trips) but they are necessary so get them. If you have all your documents in tact and they see you can support yourself, it isn't a problem. If your case number is high I recommend CP. If your case number is low and you are already in the US, maybe AOS is a better option. I did CP and am quite happy with it and would do exactly that if I had to do it all over again (and I have been living in the US for several years now).

Alright good luck to everyone and thanks for those who assisted myself and others in answering questions. This forum has been very helpful indeed.

Same here .. everything was moving ok .. i gad police certificate not ready so they asked to come in a week, i got back and i did the oath and they took finger prints but she said my case shall go to washington to have some admin process??
wat is this thing? is it a polite way saying you are refused?

Certain nationalities have to undergo additional processing to have their background checked and further scrutinized. As I dont know your nationality nor do I know what country the Embassy where you had your interview is located, I cannot give you specific information. Most likely the only other thing that could have happened is that your name matches someone's name on their "hot list" in which case they have to verify you are not that individual. They should've told you how much longer it should take. Most likely it should not be a problem though since once the processing is complete, they'll probably contact you to let you know that it is ready.

Certain nationalities have to undergo additional processing to have their background checked and further scrutinized. As I dont know your nationality nor do I know what country the Embassy where you had your interview is located, I cannot give you specific information. Most likely the only other thing that could have happened is that your name matches someone's name on their "hot list" in which case they have to verify you are not that individual. They should've told you how much longer it should take. Most likely it should not be a problem though since once the processing is complete, they'll probably contact you to let you know that it is ready.

I am jordanian interview done in amman embassy .. all people here get their visas in a week .. i live and work in ksa saudi arabia ?? is it the reason?
still i have a chance?

This is normal processing, many countries do security check..the important thing is for you the process to be over in a short time, before the end of the September..Good luck..

I am jordanian interview done in amman embassy .. all people here get their visas in a week .. i live and work in ksa saudi arabia ?? is it the reason?
still i have a chance?

This is normal processing, many countries do security check..the important thing is for you the process to be over in a short time, before the end of the September..Good luck..

thank you .. but they gave me back my passport and a letter of the section 221g missing .. admin proc??

what exactly they mentioned in the letter?

Dear Visa Applicant

this office regrets to inform you that it is unable to issue a visa to you because you have been found ineligible to receive a visa under the following section of the immigration and nationality act. the information contained in the paragraph marked with X pertain to your visa application. please disregard the unmarked paragraphs.

X section 221(g) which prohibits the issuance of visa to anyone whose application does not comply with the provisions of the Immigration and nationality act or regulations issued pursuant thereo.
the following remarks apply in your case
- Administrative processing

i got it today
on aug 1st i used to have missing police cert today they got it, removed the police cert note and just kept the one i mentioned and said it may take a month to call me??

is it refused ??

Lokas - After your interview, what did the consular officer say EXACTLY? Did they make you raise your right hand, take an oath and sign the original DS forms that you submitted to KCC where there was a list of questions they asked. Did you lie in any of the responses?

Did they take your fingerprints after the interview?

Hello dear friends,

my case is as the same as Lokas, as i set for interview at US Emb ankara,
the officer checked all ma docs and took ma signed as well as took fingure print, after all my passport is also taken and officer told me that everything is in order, and i was send to UPS cargo to pay for it. unfortunately 2 weeks after ma interview i have not recieved my passport and so with curious, i called last week to Emb and the reciever inform me that there was something written to somewhere (not saying the place country etc)and waiting for responding so as i guess my visa is pending for some check more correctly so called name check i guess. i am form bangladesh and my name is very common in our religion as islam as well as in our country.I have been in London several times so i think it is also an important point for pending visa. i have 1 month and some days to recieve visa or not the 2007 session will be over after september. they still holding my passport...

Lokas - After your interview, what did the consular officer say EXACTLY? Did they make you raise your right hand, take an oath and sign the original DS forms that you submitted to KCC where there was a list of questions they asked. Did you lie in any of the responses?

I did all what you said, raised ma hand, oath, finger prints and all, she was so cute and nice with me, even my name is not common and kinda rare name so may not be an easy match .. i paid the 755 dollars also, she said i have nothing wrong but admin proc, may be cause i live in ksa and work there? and i ahve not lied at all, i was so clear and frank,

WAIT I REMEMBERED SOMETHING .. I HAVE CHANGED MY SPONSOR .. THE ONE S NAME WAS IN APPLICATION IS NOT THE SAME WILL SUPPORT ME ...
SHE SAID WHY? I TOLD HER HE CHANGED HIS MIND

I recently had my CP interview at a US Embassy in the Middle East.

Congratulations!!!

Some questions, which will also help other middle eastern people...

Where in the middle east you had an interview?
How did you get a police certificate? Was it easy and how long it took?
What was done in the medical exam and how much it cost?

Thank you and Have a safe trip!!!

I did all what you said, raised ma hand, oath, finger prints and all, she was so cute and nice with me, even my name is not common and kinda rare name so may not be an easy match .. i paid the 755 dollars also, she said i have nothing wrong but admin proc, may be cause i live in ksa and work there? and i ahve not lied at all, i was so clear and frank,

Lokas and J&G:

Can you both tell me if after your interviews, did they issue you with a green sticker stub that had a number on it with a stamp on the backside that told you when to pick up your visa? In my case they did. However, I did get a call from the Embassy asking me about my travel during the past month and they told me they will call me again on Sunday (which is when I was supposed to pick up the visa) and let me know when I should come. I'm not sure why they needed to know about the travelling I did in the past month but I travelled quite a bit and maybe they needed to enter in that info.

In any case, the main point I'd like to know is if after your interview, the consular officer told you specifically that your visa will be ready on day X? And then she/he would have kept the passport and told you to return on a specific day and issued you with a sticker stub - did this happen or not? Please recount exactly what took place at the end since they only issue a sticker stub if they have approved the visa unconditionally.

Hello dear friends,

the officer checked all ma docs and took ma signed as well as took fingure print, after all my passport is also taken and officer told me that everything is in order, and i was send to UPS cargo to pay for it. unfortunately 2 weeks after ma interview i have not recieved my passport and so with curious, i called last week to Emb and the reciever inform me that there was something written to somewhere (not saying the place country etc)and waiting for responding so as i guess my visa is pending for some check more correctly so called name check i guess. i am form bangladesh and my name is very common in our religion as islam as well as in our country.I have been in London several times so i think it is also an important point for pending visa. i have 1 month and some days to recieve visa or not the 2007 session will be over after september. they still holding my passport...

There are 4 possible outcomes after the interview. The application can fall into any one of the following outcomes:

-Visa Approved (which means they take the passport with no strings attached and give you a sticker stub telling you when you come to pick up your passport).
-Held pending additional information from you (the consular requires additional info to approve your application. Therefore, the Consular Officer will inform you in writing what you need to conclude your case and you may return to the Embassy at a later time without an appointment to provide the additional info. Then, the Consular Officer will decide, based on the additional info, whether your application is approved, held pending administrative processing or refused).
-Held pending administrative processing (Your application may require additional administrative processing before the Consular Officer can decide whether to approve or refuse. The Officer will inform you, in writing, that your application is pending and will return your passport to you. The processing time lasts, on average, between between one (1) and six (6) weeks. The Consular Section will call you once the processing is completed and will inform you of the next steps. In most cases, applications are approved, and you will be asked to drop off your passport for visa issuance. In a minority of cases, applications are refused following administrative processing).
-Refused.

Therefore, you have to tell me what category your application falls into right now. The middle two have conditions attached to them. The first one (approved) has no conditions and can only happen if they issue you a sticker stub and tell you a specific DATE at the interview when you can pick up your visa.

Hello dear friends,

J&G - What is this payment for UPS cargo? What does that mean? Do you mean UPS courier service? Also, after your interview, what EXACTLY did the officer say? Did they keep your passport and give you a sticker stub and tell me exactly what date to return to pick up your visa or not?

Lokas and J&G:

Can you both tell me if after your interviews, did they issue you with a green sticker stub that had a number on it with a stamp on the backside that told you when to pick up your visa? In my case they did. However, I did get a call from the Embassy asking me about my travel during the past month and they told me they will call me again on Sunday (which is when I was supposed to pick up the visa) and let me know when I should come. I'm not sure why they needed to know about the travelling I did in the past month but I travelled quite a bit and maybe they needed to enter in that info.

In any case, the main point I'd like to know is if after your interview, the consular officer told you specifically that your visa will be ready on day X? And then she/he would have kept the passport and told you to return on a specific day and issued you with a sticker stub - did this happen or not? Please recount exactly what took place at the end since they only issue a sticker stub if they have approved the visa unconditionally.

I got the green numbered stamp, but also my passport was returned to me, i guess she knew i work outside my country so she gave me the chance to go back work, but she said it - hopefully - wont take more than a month and adviced me to contact the embassy by email by the end of this month to let them sed the follow up for my case.

J&G - What is this payment for UPS cargo? What does that mean? Do you mean UPS courier service? Also, after your interview, what EXACTLY did the officer say? Did they keep your passport and give you a sticker stub and tell me exactly what date to return to pick up your visa or not?

payment is very few as aprroximate 6 dollers to return appropriate address to me the passport and docs etc. this is the way of ankara embassy to return policy when visa is approved they send applicant to UPS courier yes. and holding passport and etc.

they took my passport and gave me UPS card to pay for it writting my name so they said you will get it within few days. but i called them after 1 week and said something written about me to somewhere and waiting for answare thats all..