Got interim EAD cards on 07/27 at San Francisco INS office

henrysh

Registered Users (C)
Ciba and I485 folks, it\'s my pleasure to share my experience with you and wish it helps like cobweb\'s experience did to me.

Thanks to Cobweb\'s information we didn\'t get up too early :) We arrived at INS SF office at around 9 o\'clock. Not like I expected, it is just like an ordinary building, without square in front of it. Well, in San Francisco everything is compacted except the height of office buildings :) So INS building is right planted in the "concrete forest".

After being waiting for 20-30 minutes we reached the information counter. The Asian lady there was not that nice but fast. She didn\'t care too much for the orignial I-765 receipts and put lawyer\'s letter aside. Rather, she wanted the forms my lawyer prepared for us: copies of I-765 application forms, I-765 receipts and I-485 receipts. Later I got to know they\'ll keep the forms. She gave us an F number then we went into the waiting area.

The hall is filled with people but not bad, everybody has a seat. Our number is 20 some later than the one being served. We thought it won\'t take longer than one hour but actually we had been waiting for over 3 hours to get called. During the waiting time I talked to the guard in charge of inspection right inside the door. He told us he is surprised it\'s not as crowded as usual today. He said, normally at this time (around 10 am) the line is long, ending at the door, "and yesterday, the line went to the corner of the street!" He said.

Well, it\'s not bad waiting there. Like Cobweb said they even played soft music. Children running around, playing, and INS officer had to broadcast letting their parents take control of them. And the officers broadcast again and again, "do not interrupt officers, keep seated and wait, we know it is a long wait."

Most of the time we were waiting there was only one counter serving F numbers. The lady was slow, and she went for lunch at about 12:00. When she was back she was not serving F numbers anymore. Our number got called at around 12:45 by an Asian gentleman at another counter. Same, he ignored our original I765 receipts but took lawyer\'s forms. He asked NO QUESTION to us. Just checked the case status from his computer, filled a yellow form and stapled it with our forms and let us go to Room 200, saying "final decision will be made there and they will likely give you cards." We spent just one minute totally with him!

Room 200 is spacious. It\'s a hall indeed. Following Cobwebs\' information I found the file tray right across from the door and left the forms there. The girl in charge of EAD there are very professional, fast and nice (with INS & SF\'s standard). 30 minutes later we got our interim EAD cards, valid for only 3 months. Well, that\'s the disadvantage of SF. You get up later, you get EAD with shorter validity period :)

INS building is on the Northeast corner and there is a Vietnamese restaurant on Southwest corner of the intersection. Food there is good. I highly recommend folks waiting inside INS to have lunch there.

Thanks again, to Ciba, Cobwebs and other guys who shared with us their experience at Ciba\'s web page and here. Wish all of you my best!

Can you tell me the difference between regular EAD and Interim EAD

Thanks for sharing your story.

I thought only family based Green Card people will get EAD\'s at local INS offices. Can you please explain..

Thanks,

pranay..

Parking

Where did you park for the three hours? Was there any pay parking around the building? Thank you for sharing your experience on the board. I will soon have to get the interim EAD card.
  M.Y.

No Title

One more question.
Can you just to the SF INS office? or dose it depend on anything?
(to ge the interim EAD cards).

No Title

This is an excellent post. Thanks so much, henry.
I will load up your message to the webpage shortly.

ciba

Answer to Pranay, Michael and rrrash

To Pranay: I know little about Family-based immigration, but each Employment-based immigrant qualifies for an EAD card in (c) (9) category. This card "should" be approved and mailed to you within 90 days. If you haven\'t received the official one you can get an interim card in an INS local office which has same force adeffect but with shorter validity period. Well, it\'s just like an interim driver\'s license :) Once you got the official card this interim card can be discarded.

To Michael: Actually I parked my car at a private parking lot of a friend. There are some parking places around. The one I\'m sure is located on SOUTHSIDE of SACRAMENTO ST, WEST to SANSOME ST, for a flat daily rate of $10. I also have a suggestion: you can park your car on Clay street (25c for half hour street parking), then take SF MUNI-BUS #1 to go to INS.

To rrrash: It depends on where you live. See http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/sanfran/aboutus.htm as attached below. If you go to another office you will be rejected and told to do that with the office in your area. It\'s not a good question buddy, you know SJ people have to get up as early as 2am. Nobody does that if they can go elsewhere :)

Service Area:
 FOR ALL IMMIGRATION BENEFITS, EXCEPT NATURALIZATION:
San Francisco District Office: Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Marin, Mendocino, Modoc, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Shasta, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Tehama, and Trinity.

Fresno Sub Office: Fresno, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, and Tulare.

Sacramento Sub Office: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sierra, Sutter, Tuolumne, Yolo and Yuba.

San Jose Sub Office: Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz.

FOR NATURALIZATION SERVICES ONLY:

San Francisco Office: Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Sonoma, and Trinity.

Fresno Sub Office: Fresno, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, Stanislaus, and Tulare.

Sacramento Sub Office: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sutter, Tehama, Tuolumne, Yolo and Yuba.

San Jose Sub Office: Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz.

congratulations....

now, let\'s hope that you will get also your SSNs without any problems. as I mentioned, my wife had some problems with getting her SSN card changed (she was on H4).
I guess for anyone going to the SF INS office, the easiest way is to take BART. SF parking is troublesome during weekdays.

Cobwebs, my wife got her Social Security Number with no problem!

No hassle, No question. With the interim EAD card valid for only 3 months my wife today got her Social Security Card approved. She will receive the card within 2 weeks, as said the SSA officer, and probably her number is available by phone tomorrow.

Cowebs and Henrysh

Thank you for sharing the information. Could you please specify what documents you guys took with you to SF-INS? I-765 application form, 2 photos, original I-485 receipt, original I-765 receipt, passport with I-94, and what else?
  Many thanks. Michael

My goodness, have you read my message thoroughly?

Pay attention to "forms my lawyer prepared for me". Other than that you only need to bring an ID, driver\'s license is OK. No photo needed. You\'ll get photo there for free.

I only had to give EAD application receipt

I brought every paper I could find that had anything to do with INS, but they only cared about the receipt notice for the EAD (they kept that one).
I also had to show my drivers license and I had to look at my I-94 to get the number when filling in a simple form.

Yes, and bring a lot of patience, and don\'t ask any questions...

Next day, we received some documents from our lawyer, and a letter she wrote to INS to help in our quest for the interim EAD, but those papers were not needed.

No Title

HenrySh,

Did your lawyer prepare *new* copies of the I765 forms
or just provide duplicates of the ones previously sent.