Got Green Card. Need to change job

daffyduck

I received my green card yesterday and am interested in switching jobs. What are the options to legally change jobs without jeopardizing my green card.

Thanks

It didnt mention anything about job change after getting green card

thanks for the link but it didnt mention anything about job change after getting my green card. the question is: can I change my job after 1 month of my passport stamp and 1 month of getting my green card.

thanks.

You have to get to the page 3 of the whole document!!!

It answers your question if you read it all!!

Hi Daffy Duck

Could you please tell me what alien number was stamped on your passport and what alien number is there on the card?

Please this is very important for me to know this.

If you have a copy of the immigrant visa from the consulate, then you would see 2 eight digit numbers on that.
1) One starting with A #### ####
2) One starting with IV #### ####

What was stamped on your passport when you did your POE? What is written on your card?

Please ne kind and generous enough to let me know of this.

Thanks,

I\'ve asked around and done some research

And this is how it looks so far. It is definitely not advisable, especially in the light of new security measures, to leave right after you get the GC because it can be easily proven that you didn\'t intend to work for your current employer when you applied for the GC and thus committed immigration fraud. These charges can be filed any time against you if you change jobs. The likelyhood of it happening is low, but, just for your information, after my co-worker got his GC INS called here to verify that he still works at my company. That was after he got the stamp but before he got the plastic card.

The longer you stay at your current job the harder it gets to argue immigration fraud case. However, should they lay you off, you can freely go and get another job - this was not your fault and no fraud has been committed. This is how I understand it...

I\'ve asked around and done some research

And this is how it looks so far. It is definitely not advisable, especially in the light on new security measures, to leave right after you get the GC because it can be easily proven that you didn\'t intend to work for your current employer when you applied for the GC and thus committed immigration fraud. These charges can be filed any time against you if you change jobs. The likelyhood of it happening is low, but, just for your information, after my co-worker got his GC INS called here to verify that he still works at my company. That was after he got the stamp but before he got the plastic card.

The longer you stay at your current job the harder it gets to argue immigration fraud case. However, should they lay you off, you can freely go and get another job - this was not your fault and no fraud has been committed. This is how I understand it...

is six months period good enough ?

Also , you count six months from the approval date , stamping date or
the date you received the actual GC ?

No Title

It really helps to read that document everybody is referring to.

According to my understanding of that layer\'s interpretation of the law (as you can see this gets pretty far from \'reality\') you are never 100% safe to change jobs. You need to have a good reason for changing your mind about the job offered by the sponsoring company. Life is full of surprises, you may get such a reason in the first 6 months of your GC - but again you have to be careful what you wish for.

Of course, you can just change jobs and hope INS won\'t notice it, and they probably won\'t unless the employer gets really mad and notifies them.

On the other side you should also consider giving your current employer a chance. If you have issues you could try to sit down with them and talk your differences over. A little bit of negotiations can do you no harm, GC or not. Treat your employer nicely, they may return the favor - how about that for a surprise ;-)

My opinions are biased by the fact that I work with some great people and the fact that I still have a good and interesting job, even in this market. Your circumstances may be different.

No Title

However, if your employer is a jerk and violates some of the existing labor laws or treats you unfairly and you have proof, you can switch jobs sooner - you have a valid reason for it. But then you have to prove that those violations started AFTER you got the GC. I\'d say stay at least 6 months from the date stamped in your passport, then start looking around. The kay is to have proof that on the moment of getting your GC you had firm intentions to work for your employer indefinitely.

when does the 6 months period begin.........

approval date , stamping date ? I disn\'t find that in the PDF

Client is offering me a permanent position. On the other hand I had
a 20% pay cut by my body shopper just a month before the approval. I don\'t intend to be citizen. Six months is the minimum , though not 100% safe , recommended in that document. But when does the 6 months period begin ?

No Title

I read the document and he does mention 6 months, adding that there is no firm rule. But he is not a final authority, but one of many lawyers stating his opinion. Many lawyers who dealt with this before agree that after 6 months INS simply doesn\'t bother to pursue the case unless there are some other grave reasons to do so.

No Title

You just keep repeating what I keep saying over and over. There is no 6 months rule. But I have been asking a great many people (lawyers) and all of them said that they have virtulally no cases of immigration fraud against people who left their jobs 6 months after the GC. Ofcourse that is not a rule either, but something you can consider.

No Title

Your are free once you get passport stamped, even in six months,as long as your employer do not mention this to INS. After six month,
Even your comapny likes to take your GC back, no way! You are free bird in the free market?
Do not worry!

intent

I do not intend to quit.My present employer is by no means jerk and we have good relations . (20% pay cut hurts , however ).

Now the end client has given convert or quit option.In todays job market scenario going back to bench doesn\'t seem to be a bright idea. After a month or so on bench present employer will surely lay off. But by that time this opportunity will be gone.Converting will surely
bring in more money.
    Now the question is how to use these circumstances to prove good intent ? What documents to get from employer, client to show the intent was indeed good ?

the

Talk to your employer!

Could present employer give you a letter that their/your client wants your services directly not through them anymore?? The letter should also state that you would go on bench if they lose this client. Then you would not have to worry about anything at all.

If you have good relations with your employer, he could fully understand what is going on. Maybe your employer would realize that if they make their/your client happy, they could be getting other contracts from him in the better times again.

Do you think that this scenario is possible??? Good luck!

Ivy2000 - when did your coworker\'s case was asked by INS

IVY2000 - it was a very interesting point you mentioned here - INS called your office to inquire about your coworker after his passport was stamped but before the plastic card was received. Are you absolutely sure it happened? I don\'t see any form where the company\'s phone number is mentioned; the only phone number mentioned is the beneficiary\'s and the lawyer\'s. INS may have sent a postal mail, though. Anyway, how long after the passport stamping did the INS call? And who did they call; I don\'t think the HR deptt will just respond to a phone call from someone claiming to be from INS asking about an employee; it would be a serious vaiolation of privacy. Plus, which was the service center?